Show me the meat! Sometimes I just need a good low-carb sandwich, and now, thanks to this keto recipe, I have a perfect go-to. Low-carb veggies, all snuggled together cozily in a beautiful keto meat sub sandwich. Personalize it with your favorite keto lunch meats and veggies, and start chowing down!
Summertime… time to bring out the grill, pour some ice cold keto lemonade, toss some fresh keto salads, make a batch of ultimate sub sandwiches, and of course invite your friends over for an epic summer party! I don’t know about you, but I really enjoy a good summer get-together. The food, the conversation, the warm weather. I do not want to miss out while it lasts.
However, it is not so enjoyable when summer is beckoning, and I am stuck inside a hot kitchen with the oven on trying to make a tasty meal. Besides heating up the house unnecessarily, those types of meals just take a little more time than I would like when there are plenty more things I would rather be doing… outside in the sun.
That is why these keto meat subs are the ultimate summertime delicacy. They are incredibly easy and require no baking, broiling, sautéing, or broiling. Just good ol’ fashioned stacking and mixing.
One of my favorite parts of this recipe is the dipping sauce… boy, do I love dipping sauces! And this one contains one of my favorite ingredients—NOW Foods oil for extra healthy fat and great taste.
I’ve chosen to make the dipping sauce with one of four of my favorite NOW Foods oils, but you could use any of the following to complement these keto meat sandwiches:
Liquid Coconut Oil: You can cook, fry, and saute with this no trans-fats, all natural pure coconut cooking oil. Pure, natural, healthy coconut goodness is what this is.
Avocado Cooking Oil: Avocado cooking oil is great with any method of cooking but is particularly useful with high-heat cooking like sauteing and stir-frying since it has a high smoke point. It’s also full of healthy fats and even Vitamin E!
This keto sub sandwich recipe will definitely be a common meal in my house this summer… lunches, picnics, parties, on-the-go travel snack, you name it! I’m all about easy and delicious… meaning this recipe is a win-win!
- 9 oz (250 g) Italian style ham*
- 4½ oz. (125 g) prosciutto
- 5½ oz (150 g) salami soppressata*
- 5½ oz (150 g) genoa salami*
- 2 avocadoes (12 oz/340 g), peeled, pit removed, and sliced
- 4 green onions, sliced in half
- 2 leaves of iceberg lettuce or kale
- 8 toothpicks, optional
- Place a slice of ham on a clean plate or cutting board. Layer a piece of prosciutto, followed by three or four pieces of salami, layering like a pyramid or making a square shape with the layers.
- Add a couple of slices of avocado, followed by a piece of green onion and a piece of iceberg to the far side of the meat stack.
- Roll the ingredients up like a California roll. Secure with a toothpick. Repeat with remaining meat and filling.
- Afterward, combine all sub sauce ingredients in a medium-sized bowl and serve alongside the low-carb sandwich.
*Opt for hormone-free, nitrite-free meats. If you can't find it, go with prosciutto for everything as it's just smoked meat.
What are your favorite sub sandwich toppings? Chat about it in the comments below! I’d love to hear your ideas!