Pearrific Green Smoothie

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on November 8, 2012

In October, I embarked on a self-guided 30 day yoga challenge to help sooth my emotions surrounding our recent move to Montreal. My intention for the month was to grow roots in this new city, begin to feel like I belong somewhere, let go of my fears and embrace the longing I had to return home to Alberta. To help me stay focused, I decided to keep an online journal of my experiences each step of the way.

A week or so into the challenge I learned that the yoga studio I attend, Moksha Yoga NDG was planning to do a 30 day yoga challenge in November, too. I signed up without a second of hesitation and was later asked to help create some yoga challenge inspired meals for my fellow yogis. Participate in a second yoga challenge, and contribute to my new community? Things are coming together!

This recipe is the first of four recipes I’ll be sharing on the blog this month that I hope will inspire us challengers to take our commitment to the next level. For many of us, committing to this yoga challenge has meant much more than heading to a yoga class once a day. It’s about treating our bodies with respect, injecting love into our lives, finding peace in any storm, and participating in  nourishing actions that will feed our soul.

With that in mind, this week’s recipe is centered around being good to your body.

Opting for 1 smoothie or homemade juice per day is the cornerstone in my pursuit to living a healthy, balanced life. Just one liquid meal per day, packed with enzymes, minerals and vegetables, gives me vitality to accomplish anything that comes my way whether it be a yoga challenge, move across the country, trek through India, whatever. I can do it when I listen to the signals my body sends me and feed myself through my intuition…

and I’m certain that you can, too!

to print, email or text this recipe, click here.

4.5 from 2 reviews

Pearrific Green Smoothie
Author:
Allergens: Vegan, Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Refined sugar-free, Yeast-free, Corn-free, Grain-free, Nut-free
Prep time:
Total time:
Serves: 1 serving, 750mL

A smoothie made with fresh veggie juice and blended with a healthy dose of spinach and ripe pear.
  • 2 kale leaves
  • 2 celery sticks
  • 2 carrots
  • 1 small knob ginger
  • 1 pear, core removed and sliced
  • 2 cups spinach
  • 1 tablespoon chia seeds
  • 6-8 ice cubes
Instructions
  1. If you have a ‘low’ setting on your juicer, begin with the softer items first – kale. Then turn to ‘high’ and juice the celery, carrots and ginger.
  2. Place fresh juice in the blender with spinach, pear slices, chia seeds and ice cubes.
  3. Blend until smooth, about 30 seconds.

View nutrition information

If you want a brighter green smoothie, remove the carrots and replace with cucumber instead. The end result was still green, but it had an odd tinge to it.

You could also just juice everything, but I liked that I was still getting the fiber from the pear and spinach instead of juicing all of it away.

Adding chia, flax or even hemp seeds would go fabulously in this smoothie and help to keep it from separating, too. Not to mention it pumps up the healthy fats and protein in this delicious drink.

What’s your favorite smoothie add-in?

Are you visiting from the challenge? How is it going for you? What meals have you been preparing to support your body through the challenge?

Erica { EricaDHouse.com }

Recently my favorite smoothie add in is also chia seeds. They are just so ‘fun’ to eat!

I seem to be on a chia kick this week, too! You’re going to love tomorrow’s recipe, Erica. It’s a chia lovers dream!

Mmm this sounds great Leanne! I think you and I are both riding the pear wagon these days because I’ve been throwing them into all of my juice concoctions this week. I’d totally forgotten how much I love them! I think my favourite juice add-in is ginger, and for smoothies…hmmm not sure… but pumpkin and cinnamon are near the top of the list!

Pumpkin? Cinnamon? You? Nah… I don’t believe that for a second :P

Amanda Browning

You were thinking of me when you made this. I think i get more then half of my fruit and vegetable consumption in pears and spinach! I love the idea of using juices as a flavourful water substitute! Sounds tasty!

You must have been sending me mental messages because I’ve never, ever put a pear in a smoothie. This recipe definitely changed that!

Stephen@HappyHeart

This looks amazing! Never think of using pears in smoothies but they’re so incredibly juicy at the moment they would be delicious whizzed up with all that green goodness! Yum!

They add so much body and richness to the smoothie, too!

Jane

Gonna make this this afternoon!

Would love to know how you like it! It’s got just a faint taste of ginger… man, I could drink it all day long!

Jane

I will let you know, and also about the garlic soup. Will be making this today with the purple cauliflower. Not sure how to post the pics on Pinterest, so they end up in the right place LOL. Would like to put my Pineapple Kale Kiwi Ornage juice up I made yesterday. :)

Jane

It’s pretty yummy, drinking now while I roast my garlic for the soup. I added an extra pear-juiced one and pireed the other. Between my yoga challnge, meditation challenge and this cleanse Im feelin’ pretty Zen. My 3 year old is sittign across from me as I type and his hands are covered in blue paint. and I’m ok with that. Almost. :)

Saw the post about the pumpkin orange cream smoothie.tempted to have this as my bedtime smoothie LOL tonight. I have some coconut yogurt, can I use this?

Butternut Squash soup for lunch and Purple soup for supper.

Hey Jane – sorry I’m just getting to your comment now… the coconut yogurt likely has sweetener in it so you may be best just using an unsweetened non-dairy milk in its place.

Love that you’re feeling zen. I’m right there with ya!

Michelle

That looks so good! I have been making a green smoothie every morning with either almond milk or fresh carrot, celery, lemon juice. I am loving this cleanse and my body is too. My skin is already clearing after only 3 days. It is amazing. Looking forward to making soup tonight.

Wow, I’d love to learn more about the green smoothie you mentioned, Michelle. It sounds amazing! Do you juice the carrot, celery and lemon and then add fruit or anything?

Michelle

Yeah I juice the carrot, celery and lemon then add it to the blender and add 1/2 cup frozen berries1/2 a frozen banana, 3 cups spinach, protein powder and chia. It is really good and filling. Keeps me full all morning.

Wow okay awesome. I’m trying it this morning! Thanks Michelle :)

Erin (Wicked Vegan)

Hey Leanne! I’m on Day 3 of the challenge, my all liquid day. Eek! I don’t have a juicer so I’m having the Pumpkin Orange Cream Smoothie for breakfast (tweaked a little to meet the guidelines), the Ultra Green Smoothie for lunch, the Blushing Apple smoothie for a mid-afternoon snack (I found this is really necessary to keep me going) and the Cauliflower Apple soup for dinner (my house is so cold right now! I need something warm for dinner). So far so good! I have to say though, I’m craving bread pretty badly, which is iweird cause I don’t even eat a lot of bread!

Hey Erin – sounds like you have a lot of yummy food planned for today! The bread craving could be pointing to your need for complex carbohydrates. The pumpkin in your smoothie should help. If you’re still feeling the same way tomorrow you could try baking a sweet potato and topping it with hemp seeds or another high protein seed to help pump your body with the macronutrients it may be calling out for.

Tamikko

I’ve never tried pear in my smoothies before. After trying an apple in there (and I do have a blendtec), I realized it was like adding applesauce and didn’t like it. I just assumed the pear would be gritty. Can’t wait to try this one. Sounds great!

Beth @ Tasty Yummies

This looks delicious and sounds so cleansing! I love the color it is almost a chartreuse color, which not only do I love, but it’s also so fun to say!
I am so envious of your cleanse, if we weren’t leaving tomorrow morning for 10 days, I would be right along side you. I need it badly right now. Hopefully after Thanksgiving, before all the holiday stuff really kicks in. I am sure I will be coming back here for recipes, for sure!

I just had a bunch of ripe pears last week that I was wondering what to do with (they all ripened on the same day, of course!). This sounds great!

Cassandra @ TheScienceofFood

Pears, that is what I need to buy this week, the perfect smoothie ingredients. You`re really daring with the veggies, I`m afraid of the celery, lately it`s been overpowering all of my soups :(

Squash Blossom Babies

That looks awesome! I love pears and never think to add them to smoothies. Well done!

Arielle

My absolute favorite juice add-ins are beet and lemon…together. Earthy, sweet, tart….perfect. This recipe looks amazing – pears are a fantastic sweetener for veggie juice!

Mmm beet and lemon… I’m going to have to try that. Thanks Arielle!

Madde

I’m not on the challenge, but it looks yummy! I love smoothies and juices, just too lazy to make them most of the time! I don’t think I have ever tried puting pear in one, I’m sure it tastes lovely!

Julie

Encouraged by the smoothie challenge, i am wading slowly into making green smoothies. Tonight’s was a disaster. I had no more apples, but was craving beets. Inspired by recipes i had seen i Combined the following:
Juiced cucumber and beet
Blended with spinach, avocado, and water.
Yuck!!!
Added a bit of banana and that helped make it more mellow.
Usually i will combine beet/carrot or beet/apple. But already had two carrot juices today.

Question: should i keep my vegetable juices separate from my fruit juices/smoothies? Does this make them taste better or digested more easily or more effective to build or cleanse the body?