Mini keto pizza bites held together with ‘gelatin egg’ instead of eggs. Dairy-free and keto with a crispy outer crust and sprinkled with fresh basil.
There is quite possibly nothing as fun as mini keto pizzas. Well, except keto cookies in the shape of Easter eggs, those were fun.
But really, mini keto pizza. Except I made these low-carb, keto mini pizzas complete free from grains, dairy, and eggs.
To these keto pizzas grain-free, I used cauliflower.
To make them dairy-free, I used nutritional yeast in the sauce.
To make them egg-free, I used a gelatin egg (made with water and gelatin) instead of a regular egg. If you’re not sensitive to eggs, you could totally use an egg in this recipe. But if you are sensitive to eggs, and you’ve never heard of a gelatin egg before, today’s video is a must-watch.
I love Equip collagen over Vital Proteins and other options. You can watch a video here about collagen. And, when you use the coupon code HEALTHFUL, you get 15% off Equip collagen here.
Collagen dissolves in water and can be used in hot or cold drinks.
Gelatin dissolves in hot things. When cooled, it turns the mixture into a jello-like substance.
What do I do with collagen and gelatin? Collagen can be used in keto smoothies, keto baked goods (like you would use protein powder), tea, coffee, add to keto fat bombs, or keto salad dressings. It completely dissolves in liquids.
Whereas gelatin can be used in keto gravies, keto soups, keto stews, pasta sauce, or make keto gummies with it. Don’t have a gummy mold? That’s OK! Use a baking sheet. Pour it in, chill, and cut cubes when complete.
How much collagen or gelatin can you have per day?
I have 1 to 2 scoops in a day. It works out to be about 2 to 4 tablespoons.
How can I use gelatin to replace eggs in a recipe?
Watch the keto recipe video above. It’s important to allow the gelatin to ‘bloom’ on the water before you heat it. As far as I know, it works for just about all recipes that call for eggs. So far I haven’t failed with it!
What are the health benefits of collagen and gelatin?
For gelatin, while I do enjoy homemade keto bone broth more often than most, I don’t drink it every day and find that when I’m traveling, it’s impossible to keep up with the broth. The nourishing gut-healing benefits of bone broth are very much the same with beef. Think of it as the ‘glue’ that repairs leaky gut. It differs from collagen slightly in this way, as being more powerful toward gut balancing.
Both collagen and gelatin are fabulous for boosting the strength of hair, nails, skin and joints. I’ve noticed after 1-year of enjoying either product every day, my hair is healthy, my nails are strong, and my skin is firm.
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 teaspoon (1 gram) dried basil
- 1 teaspoon (1 gram) dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon (2 grams) garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon (1 gram) onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon (1 gram) grey sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon (0.5 gram) freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon (10 grams) gelatin
- ¼ cup (59ml) marinara sauce
- 2 tablespoons (8 grams) nutritional yeast
- ¼ cup (33 grams) pepperoni sticks, sliced into coins
- Fresh chopped basil, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425F (218C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon baking mat. Set aside.
- Break cauliflower apart into rough chunks. Add to the bowl of your food processor and pulse with the “S” blade until the pieces are tiny, like the size of quinoa. Measure 2 cups of the ground cauliflower, should come out to 430 grams. Transfer cauliflower bits to a large bowl, cover lightly and microwave for 4 minutes, or lightly steam in a steamer for 2 minutes.
- Transfer steamed cauliflower to a clean kitchen towel and set aside.
- Meanwhile, add dried basil, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper to a large bowl. Set aside.
- Add water to a small saucepan. Sprinkle the gelatin over top, covering the water surface, and allow to sit for 5 minutes. Once the 5 minutes are up, turn heat to low and whisk gently until everything is incorporated and the mixture is smooth.
- Meanwhile, add marinara sauce and nutritional yeast to a small bowl. Set aside.
- At this point, cauliflower should be cooled. Wrap up in the kitchen towel and ring the HECK out of it until no water is left. Transfer the dried cauliflower to the bowl with the spices. Rotate with a spoon to coat. Add gelatin mixture and toss until incorporated.
- One tablespoon at a time, transfer the mixture to your palm, roll into a ball and place on the prepared baking sheet. Press down to a circle shape, about ¼-inch thin. Repeat with remaining dough. Transfer baking sheet to the preheated oven and cook for 20-25 minutes, until pizzas are golden.
- Remove from the oven, add marinara sauce and pepperoni pieces. Transfer back to the oven and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle optional basil, and enjoy.
View Nutrition Information (once on page, scroll down)