Gluten-free, paleo and vegan salad with curry-infused roasted vegetables in a tart lemon sauce, folded in with fresh coconut meat, kale and pomegranate seeds.
There was a sale on whole coconuts at the grocery store the other day… so I bought 7 of them. Now, I am on a mission to come up with new ways to use fresh coconut.
I’ve been drinking homemade coconut milk by the mason jar-full.
I made a no bake blueberry cream pie.
I made coconut chips by slicing the coconut meat really thin (using a vegetable peeler), sprinkled with salt and baked it at 350F for 10 minutes.
And I learned that chunks of fresh coconut meat are so, so great in salad.
Not sure how to open a fresh coconut? No worries. It’s not nearly as scary as it sounds, and you don’t need any fancy kitchen tools either. Follow these 7-steps to open a coconut.
I mentioned it last week (more details in this post):: if you are allergic to peanuts, you may also be allergic to fenugreek. Fenugreek is a main ingredient in curry powder. If you choose to make this recipe, please, use my homemade curry powder recipe – fenugreek free!
- 1 fennel bulb, stems and core removed, sliced thinly
- 1 red onion, sliced thinly
- 2 cups cubed squash, sweet potato or parsnips
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil or avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- Juice from 1 fresh lemon, divided
- 1 bunch kale, chopped and lightly steamed for 5-10 seconds
- 1 pomegranate, seeds removed and reserved or ¾ cup pomegranate seeds
- ½ cup fresh coconut meat, cubed
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 2 teaspoons avocado oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon baking sheet.
- Combine sliced fennel, sliced onion, squash, oil, curry powder and half of the lemon juice in a large bowl. Toss to combine then lay out onto prepared baking sheet. Roast in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes until onions are soft and squash is tender.
- Meanwhile, add very lightly steamed kale, pomegranate seeds, coconut meat, cilantro and mint in a separate, clean large bowl. Set aside.
- Whisk together oil, remaining lemon juice and salt. Set aside.
- When fennel mixture is complete, remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Transfer to large bowl with kale mixture and drizzle with dressing.
- Serve warm or cold.
View Nutrition Information (once on page, scroll down)
If you are looking to add a bit more protein to this salad, cooked chicken, cooked chickpeas or hemp seeds could be added.
This recipe complies with the Ramp Up Days 1-2 and Wind Down Days 2-3 in my book.
Have you found any good grocery sales in the last little while? Please tell me I’m not the only one who loads up on sale items and then wonders what to do with them!
What is your favorite coconut-based recipe?