- 1 fennel bulb, stems and core removed, sliced thinly
- 1 red onion, sliced thinly
- 2 cups cubed squash, sweet potato or parsnips
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil or avocado oil
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- Juice from 1 fresh lemon, divided
- 1 bunch kale, chopped and lightly steamed for 5-10 seconds
- 1 pomegranate, seeds removed and reserved or ¾ cup pomegranate seeds
- ½ cup fresh coconut meat, cubed
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 2 teaspoons avocado oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon baking sheet.
- Combine sliced fennel, sliced onion, squash, oil, curry powder and half of the lemon juice in a large bowl. Toss to combine then lay out onto prepared baking sheet. Roast in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes until onions are soft and squash is tender.
- Meanwhile, add very lightly steamed kale, pomegranate seeds, coconut meat, cilantro and mint in a separate, clean large bowl. Set aside.
- Whisk together oil, remaining lemon juice and salt. Set aside.
- When fennel mixture is complete, remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Transfer to large bowl with kale mixture and drizzle with dressing.
- Serve warm or cold.
Spread the love, earn karma points:
Coconut meat – follow this step-by-step guide on how to open a coconut.
If you are looking to add a bit more protein to this salad, cooked chicken, cooked chickpeas or hemp seeds could be added.
This recipe complies with Ramp Up Days 1-2 and Wind Down Days 2-3 in my book.
Nutrition Information Per Serving
- Calories: 249
- Calories from Fat: 88
- Total Fat: 9.8
- Saturated Fat: 6.4 g
- Sodium: 146 mg
- Carbs: 38.8 g
- Dietary Fiber: 9.1 g
- Net Carbs: 29.7 g
- Sugars: 10.6 g
- Protein: 5.7 g