Number one reason why I love it? They’re sugar-free!
And that’s always a bonus, right?
Since preparing my first protein cake a couple of weeks ago, I’ve enjoyed playing around with the base recipe and adding new flavors and ingredients with each batch.
Albeit not each attempt has been successful. But I guess that’s the name of the game!
Thankfully; should anything go wrong in the baking process, the mess-ups make great toppers for chia pudding, regardless of their final state.
Another good thing about them? They’re easy to make.
Oh, and you can make a couple of batches at a time and share them with the kids, or throw them in the freezer for healthy snacks throughout the week, and they travel well (personally tested during my trip to London).
They’re even comprised of plant protein which helps to balance your cholesterol, reduce inflammation, and boosts your daily fiber intake.
And really folks, who couldn’t do with more cholesterol balancing cake in their diet?
I rest my case.
Grain-free Vanilla Berry Protein Cake
Gluten free, Dairy free, Sugar free, Yeast free, Corn free, Grain free
Make these cakes in a ramekin or muffin tin and enjoy anytime of the day. Each serving has over 17 grams of protein and will keep you full and happy for hours to come!
Inspired by: 5 ingredient Jam-packed Protein Cakes
Yield: 1 cake
- 1/4 cup egg whites
- 2 tablespoon hemp protein powder
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon coconut butter or other nut butter, or 1 teaspoon melted coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon apple sauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5-10 drops liquid stevia – I like it with 10
- 1/4 cup fresh or frozen berries
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Combine all ingredients but berries in a small bowl and mix until fully incorporated.
- Stir in berries. I used a combination of raspberries and blueberries.
- Drop mixture into a ~250mL (1 cup) oven safe ramekin. I purchased a bunch at Superstore for $1 each!
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for 25-28 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Excuse me, I have cupcakes to make.
Just kidding. I think I’ll start the day off with a warm veggie salad ;)