Good-for-You Chocolate Chip Muffins

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on August 7, 2012

I love bringing along homemade muffins with me on hotel vacations. They’re fantastic for snack or breakfast, can be filled with protein and healthy fats (which I always seem to lack when I travel), and even if they get squished during my trip, they still taste great.

Generally I rely on a mini bar to keep my random baked goods, supplements, non-dairy milk, yogurts and other travel foods chilled, but the hotel we’re staying at here in Downtown Montreal doesn’t have one. Time for a little improvisation!

I purchased a mini soft-walled camping cooler, filled it with 4 ice packs, almond yogurt, fresh ground flax seed, flax oil, muffins, cookies, fresh fruit, and raw nuts/seeds. The ice packs lasted the first 1.5 days. Since then, I’ve just been filling up the cooler with the ice from the ice machine.

Why I hadn’t thought of doing this sooner is beyond me. So easy, convenient, and saves us loads of money by not having to go out to eat 3-4 times a day.

Bringing a spot of chocolate with me on a trip can rarely ever hurt the situation. Despite the fact that there may or may not be a popular cacao restaurant down the street from our hotel, when I was deciding on which muffins to take with us, the decision was an easy one – chocolate chip muffins made with bean flour, whoop!

print, text, or email this recipe

5.0 from 1 reviews

Good-for-You Chocolate Chip Muffins
Author:
Allergens: Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Refined sugar-free, Yeast-free, Corn-free, Grain-free, Nut-free
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 12

High protein, grain-free muffin recipe made with bean flour and just 8 ingredients!
Dry
Wet
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 375F and line a 12 cup muffin pan with muffin liners. Set aside.
  2. Combine dry ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
  3. Whisk wet ingredients together in a large bowl.
  4. Add dry ingredients to wet and mix until incorporated.
  5. Fold in ½ cup mini chocolate chips.
  6. Divide muffin batter into prepared muffin cups and sprinkle the tops of the muffins with remaining chocolate chips (approximately 3 tablespoons).
  7. Bake in preheated oven for 20-22 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
  8. Allow muffins to cool in the pan for 1 minute before removing from the pan and placing on a cooling rack to cool.
  9. Muffins can be stored for a few days at room temperature. Keep in the fridge to prolong time, or freeze in an air-tight container for up to 3 months.

I’ve had many people tell me that they don’t like cooking with chickpea flour because of the bitterness of the flour. I find that garfava flour; a mixture between fava bean and chickpeas, gives off a milder flavor and; if cooked with the proper ratio of flour to liquid, the bitterness will be baked away!

What is your favorite muffin flavor?

These are so cute! And very interesting about the garfava flour and biterness… I will need to give it a try! Sorry to hear about the lack of mini fridge, but it looks like you are improvising well! I remember back in my very first week of university, when our mini fridges still hadn’t been delivered to our residence rooms. My mum was staying in a hotel nearby and since I had a terrible roommate (we established this on night 2 when she came home completely plastered and spent the next morning praying to the porcelain gods) my mum did everything in her power to make me feel comfortable. Since my eating preferences aren’t quite the same as an average university student, she bought me a massive cooler bag from Sobeys and we filled it with a Costco-sized bag of frozen fruit. That acted as my ice pack and also in the bag was yogurt, grilled chicken strips, lettuce, and veggies. I had to use up those things pretty quickly because the fruit ice pack didn’t last more than about 3 days, but it was very fun to eat!! I hope you and Kevin have a great day today!

Fruit ice pack… brilliant! Roommates can be the worst. Good that you pushed through it and had your Mom there for support. I had a roommate once that always ate my food. It used to drive me BONKERS! I’d come home after a long day in hopes of having a big bowl of leftovers and he’d eaten them, or cooked my rice, or had all my fruit, ah!

Erica { EricaDHouse.com }

I love that you brought all this with you to the hotel! I always bring a cooler of fruit and drinks as well as a small bag of healthy snacks. It saves us so much money and it keeps my tummy happy!

Wow, how interesting about the garfava flour! I know has a garbanzo very strong chickpea flavor…but the chocolate in this must pull it off :D

I love bringing muffins with me, too! Lately I’ve been on a banana muffin kick :D Got to add some chocolate to it!

And peanut butter? Mmm banana, chocolate and peanut butter in a recipe, gotta love it! I’m not sure what it is, but I just can’t seem to stop making muffins. They’re just so fun to bake!

katie @KatieDid

wow you’re good at planning ahead! When I went away last week the only thing I brought with me was a jar of almond butter which I managed to nearly polish off. These do sound like a perfect breakfast option to carry along though!

Beth @ Tasty Yummies

I love garbanzo/fava bean flour. I use it quite often in place of just garbanzo bean flour in recipe. It is great in soccas, too!
I am with you, muffins make the perfect snack for traveling. That and homemade granola bars are my go-to travel treats. They are so simple to eat anywhere and are always satisfying. I of course, like you, love to add in the chocolate too, for some reason when I am traveling chocolate is one comfort I like to always include :) Hope your trip is going well. xoxo

I completely forgot to make homemade granola bars… I remembered on our way to the airport. Doh! Happy to hear I’m not the only one that gravitates to chocolate when traveling. The trip is going really, really well :)

Sophie

i wonder if this would work with vitamix-obliterated mung beans (i.e. mung bean flour) and flax “eggs” instead of egg-eggs? ;)

i’m on my way to the kitchen to get baking ;) thanks for the recipe and enjoy MTL…it’s great, isn’t it?
St. Joseph’s Oratory is a really amazing place to visit – Definitely check it out!

Hmm I don’t see why mung bean flour wouldn’t work. I’ve tried chickpea flour pancakes made with flax eggs and it’s worked okay, so maybe it would work with this recipe? I’m curious to know if it works out!

any time a muffin/dessert/something with chocolate can be called GOOD for me…I’m excited!

These got my stomach growling! I haven’t had a muffin including chocolate in too long! I think my favorite muffin is anything including banana.. and a crumble topping wouldn’t hurt ;) Hope you and Kevin are having fun on your trip!

Johanna

Hey there!
So excited to see you’re in my hometown, Montreal. If you really want chocolate I would definitely go to this place: http://julietteetchocolat.com/ . So much better! Also just for fun, http://www.auxvivres.com/en/home/

Enjoy Montreal!

Thanks Johanna! We went to Aux Vivres yesterday and I plan to go again once more tomorrow before we leave, I really enjoyed my meal! Thank you for the chocolate recommendation, nothing like finding a fabulous chocolate place. Thanks!

kim@hungryhealthygirl

These look delicious and what a great idea to bring them along on your travels. I always try to bring some healthy snacks along when I travel, but I either don’t bring food that needs to be kept cold or rely on a hotel mini-fridge. That is a great idea to use the hotel ice machine!

Beth

These look yummy. Question though and I’m not sure if you’ve heard of this before or not. I have a wheat/gluten sensitivity and upon eating some gf pretzels and bread found I had the same symptoms as I did when I was eating regular bread, etc.. I don’t really know what that means or is, but have you heard of this before? Not sure if I’m just weirdly sensitive to other kinds of flour as well, like the ones mentioned in this recipe, if it’s the processing that gets me, or if my body only responds well to a very simple diet with no extraneous ingredients. I was hoping I could get my fill on alternate recipes like a lot of your yummy baked goods, but I’m not sure my GI system can handle it. Any thoughts??

Hi Beth – that’s a very good question. Have you read up on the gluten contained in other grains? I’ve worked with many clients who are sensitive to gluten (barley, rye, oats and wheat) as well as the gluten in other grains like buckwheat, rice, etc. The gluten in these grains are different than the ones in the standard ‘glutenous’ grains, but is still considered gluten nonetheless. It’d be worth doing a bit of research of yourself and tracking which grains you’re sensitive to. For me, it’s buckwheat, rice, and quinoa. I can handle a bit here and there, but too much and I react just like I’ve had gluten!

Beth

Thanks Leanne. I guess I never knew there were other “gluten” grains. I just assumed it was the standard ones, wheat, barley, rye, and certain oats. I will definitely have to look into it. I seem to be okay with rice thankfully, but other grains not so much. So I pretty much stick to rice. I will definitely read more about it and try to pinpoint the other things that may be setting me off. love your recipes, thanks for all you do and for your help again!!

caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy

those looks delish! i’m definitely going to make these for my next road trip this weekend!

Where are you going, Caralyn? Road trips are my absolute favorite!

Peggy

These muffins sound so tasty! I think my favorite muffin is the classic blueberry – but this may be a great contender =)

Mmm I’m with you, blueberry is pretty darn delicious!

Serena

Hi Leanne. I just tweeted you a pic as I’ve just made these using 1/2 gram flour & 1/2 bobs red mill all purpose GF flour(which I found reduced for quick sale in the supermarket!) We have all the parents coming over tomorrow to help us in the garden and these will be perfect to fuel them up to get the job done. We, of course had to try one just now and they are magnificent! Thank you again for another cracker of a recipe. Xx

Thanks for sharing the adjustments, Serena! Enjoy the gardening with your family :)

chris

Can these be made with chia egg?

I’ve been told that they work with flax eggs, so I’m sure chia would work, too. Although I haven’t tried it. If you give it a shot, please let me know how they turn out!

Kati Mora, MS, RD, Kellogg's FiberPlus(R) Wellness Advocate

You had me at “good for you chocolate…” I love chocolate, especially if there is a healthy twist in there somewhere. :)

Kankana

We use a lot of chickpea flour in our cooking! I am curious about the garfava flour, must look for it.

Richa

i have that problem when baking sweet stuff with chickpea flour. savory turns out fine. i need to give garfava a try. safe and fun travels!

Sadie

Good to know I’m not the only one who thinks chickpea flour is bitter. NEVER taste a raw batter with chickpea flour in it (I know from experience) ;).

Oh gosh, I only did that once!