Cinnamon Roll Porridge

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on July 31, 2012

I know what you’re thinking… ‘Porridge in July, is this woman mad?’

If you live in Alberta or perhaps are reading this all the way from Melbourne, you’ll appreciate this recipe today. If it’s scorching hot where you are… eat this at 3am, or bookmark it and we’ll see each other in the Fall.

Fresh, crisp and warm Summer air beats out air conditioning, hands down. To help with the air flow in our house in the Summer, we’re known to leave every single window in the house WIDE open. It makes for more dust entering the house, but at just two good months of warm weather gracing this part of the world, I’ll take the extra cleaning.

We kept the windows open on Sunday night, as we do every other night, but Monday morning was different. Monday we woke up freezing. Our necks were kinked, our toes were chilled, we were not happy.

Instead of preparing the usual granola + banana for Kevin, and the protein shake + homemade muffin for me, I made us a batch of cozy and warm cinnamon bun inspired oatmeal.

I can’t believe I used the words cozy and warm in July.

Ah!

print, email or text this recipe

Cinnamon Roll Porridge
Author:
Allergens: Vegan, Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Yeast-free, Corn-free, Nut-free
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 4 cups, 4 servings

All the goodness found in a cinnamon roll without the hassle of waiting for yeast to rise, rolling dough, or waiting hours for breakfast. Simple, warm, delicious breakfast in less than 20 minutes!
Instructions
  1. Add chia seeds to 2 cups of almond milk. Set aside.
  2. Combine millet, water, coconut oil, vanilla, cinnamon and cloves in a large saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil on medium-high heat.
  3. Reduce heat to low and cook for 12 minutes.
  4. Add almond milk and chia mixture, brown sugar, and maple syrup. Stir, cover and cook for another 5 minutes.

Do you enjoy a bowl of warm breakfast even in the middle of the Summer?

I am always down for a warm bowl of oats! Just the title of this had me drooling. I found cinnamon roll extract at my local cooking store – it’s the stuff of dreams. :)

Extract of cinnamon roll, what will they think of next?

Open windows is one of my favourite parts of summer! Lately it’s been too hot to have them open over night (as in, there’s no cooling effect whatsoever) and I’m the type that needs to be in a cooler room when I sleep so sadly I’ve had to have the AC on. However, some mornings I wake up and after my shower, the AC feels glacial! In that case, I’m more than up for a hot breakfast like porridge. I’ve never tried making it with millet though – I’ll test this out for sure!

It’s that hot there, eh? I don’t know if we’ve ever experienced that kind of heat. Oh my gosh, millet is so good in porridge. I’m sure you’ll love it!

Erica { EricaDHouse.com }

Definitely bookmarking for Fall – I *love* porridge!

katie @KatieDid

hehe yes I just posted an “oatmeal” recipe yesterday, but truthfully I eat eggs every single morning with something cold and creamy on the side like coconut milk with frozen fruit. Its a good hot cold balance i’d say!

Danielle

Do you think this would work with millet grits? For some reason I have a big bag in my pantry needing to be used!

I’m sure it would, you may want to reduce the liquids and cooking time though. By perhaps 1/2 or 3/4 cup and 5 minutes or so?

We love having the windows wide open all summer long, but this summer, we’ve had to turn the air conditioning on a couple of days :( We’ve had many days with temps in the 100s and heat indexes up to 110! Now, I love the summer heat, but day after day of temps that high makes me a little crazy. Regardless of all that, I still love me a bowl of hot oats in the summer. Just.can’t.resist.

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers

I still haven’t had millet, but I’d like to try it. Perhaps by fall… :)

Megan

This looks great! I’ve been looking for a way to add millet into my diet (giving my body a break from brown rice).

You may find that it’s much softer on your digestion. I’m big into rice and millet offers the same satiety without the heavy feeling afterward. Big fan!

Megan

That’s awesome to know!! I’ve totally over dosed on brown rice and now I’m developing an allergy to it, so knowing this about millet is awesome!

Jessica

looks yummy, millet is yummy! I toast it a bit after rinsing it. and then cook it, seems to cook quicker and more throughly, also good for breakfast with coconut milk. way to mix up the grains!

You know, I’ve never tried toasting it! I’m going to give it a shot tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion, Jessica :)

Beth @ Tasty Yummies

Yum, that looks amazing. I don’t love warm breakfasts during the summer, though I will have the occasional egg or two in the morning. I tend to eat very light in the mornings since I eat after yoga and I am not usually super hungry. Most days it is a quick smoothie. I definitely want to try this recipe soon, though. Thanks for sharing.

I need to get into the habit of working out in the morning again, good on you for heading to yoga before the day holds you captive!

caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy

that looks so amazing! i’ll take a warm breakfast any time of year! :)

Molly@hungryhungryrunner.com

I’ve been on a total hot oatmeal kick these past couple of days and my co-workers have been giving me looks like I’m crazy as they breeze by me with their iced coffees. I can’t help – I love a warm breakfast, too. And an recipe that has the words “cinnamon roll” in it get a gold star from me!

Marie

Looks delicious! How long do you think it will last in the fridge? I live alone and I’m not sure if I should cut the recipe in half.

Hi Marie – cooked grains can last in the fridge form 2-3 days just fine. I often freeze my porridge so that I always have some on hand for the busy mornings. That’s also an option!

Donna

Whilst living in Senegal…millet was a staple…a welcome one at that!!..I’m having difficulty finding it in this part of France…Could I possibly substitute a mix of red or regular quinoa or buckwheat groats?…This recipe looks so nourishing, beautiful and inviting. Continued thanks and appreciation for your sharing of your culinary creativity. You never fail to inspire!

Hi Donna – thank you for your kind words! You can most certainly use quinoa or buckwheat for this recipe. The quinoa will take a bit longer to cook, so you may have to leave it to simmer a bit longer than you would millet. Enjoy :)

Lauren @ Empowered Sustenance

Millet would taste so good with the cinnamon roll flavors here! It’s so creative that you mixed chia seeds right into the porridge. It looks beautiful!

Mikelle @ Zen Thyroid

Hey Leanne~ While it is just a wee bit warm here in Arizona, I do like my morning porridge. Bring it cold though…at least for a few more months. I have been making a big pot of quinoa and keeping it in the fridge for breakfast. I’ve been doing something similiar – cinnamon, stevia, blueberries, coconut milk. However, your genius never fails to inspire and now I am so excited to try a bit a chia and coconut oil in there as well. Maybe coco oil when I serve it warmer and coco flakes now??? And millet! I somehow seem to forget about millet. Well, enjoy the weather up there. Stay warm (ha!) and thanks for yet another great recipe :)

Cara

typically no but randomly there were two days in a row where I woke up with major oatmeal cravings! I have some random millet that I bought for one recipe, and haven’t touched since – this sounds like a great way to use it up :)

Sonia The Healthy Foodie

Actually, I’m thinking “that woman is pure genius”
Oh, and wow, yum… mouth watering, gorgeous pictures!

My oh my does this ever look good. Cinnamon bun inspired warm cereal can’t be bad now, can it? I have to make a version of this using buckwheat (what else, my new obsession!)

I know what I’m having for breakfast Saturday! :)

Sonia and buckwheat? No… couldn’t be! :P Can’t wait to see what you do with the recipe!

NL

Can the coconut oil be switched out for extra virgin olive oil instead?

I’m sure it could, just a different taste. I’m not a big fan of sweet recipes with olive oil, but I think it’s a preference thing. Grape seed oil or safflower would be good, too!

Laura @fivefocus

The other day I found a bag of what I assumed was millet in my cupboard and had no idea what I had originally bought it for…. now it has a purpose~ THANK YOU!!! This looks amazing and is going to fill my tummy in the a.m!

Well, you were obviously saving it for this recipe! ;) Enjoy