I know what you’re thinking… ‘Porridge in July, is this woman mad?’
If you live in Alberta or perhaps are reading this all the way from Melbourne, you’ll appreciate this recipe today. If it’s scorching hot where you are… eat this at 3am, or bookmark it and we’ll see each other in the Fall.
Fresh, crisp and warm Summer air beats out air conditioning, hands down. To help with the air flow in our house in the Summer, we’re known to leave every single window in the house WIDE open. It makes for more dust entering the house, but at just two good months of warm weather gracing this part of the world, I’ll take the extra cleaning.
We kept the windows open on Sunday night, as we do every other night, but Monday morning was different. Monday we woke up freezing. Our necks were kinked, our toes were chilled, we were not happy.
Instead of preparing the usual granola + banana for Kevin, and the protein shake + homemade muffin for me, I made us a batch of cozy and warm cinnamon bun inspired oatmeal.
I can’t believe I used the words cozy and warm in July.
- 1 cup raw millet, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin coconut oil
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- Add chia seeds to 2 cups of almond milk. Set aside.
- Combine millet, water, coconut oil, vanilla, cinnamon and cloves in a large saucepan. Cover and bring to a boil on medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to low and cook for 12 minutes.
- Add almond milk and chia mixture, brown sugar, and maple syrup. Stir, cover and cook for another 5 minutes.
Do you enjoy a bowl of warm breakfast even in the middle of the Summer?