Mint Chocolate Chip Smoothie

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on April 2, 2012

The weather is getting warmer, days are longer, and all I can think about are salads, green smoothies and lemon water. Are you feeling the same? If so, it’s a good indication that your body is shifting gears from a Winter supporting diet to a Spring one.

Spring is the season of purification. Greens, additional water and a lighter diet overall, allows our body to slough off our winter ‘coats’ (excess weight, built up mucus, etc.) and prepare us for the year ahead. Our systems are reset, we’re given the opportunity to gain a new perspective as the new year approaches, and we’re ready to enjoy the outdoors in all it’s glory!

If you’re an intuitive eater; following the queues of what to eat solely based on what your body says it needs, chances are your body is already making the shift. If you’re in the process of becoming more intuitive, steering your body in the right direction will help to set everything in motion.

Beginning the day with a couple of light stretches, 2 cups of water with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and opting for at least one fresh salad a day will do wonders in signalling your body that it’s time to cleanse!

Oh yes, and lots of green smoothies will help, too!

Spinach, kale, and collards are all fantastic at supporting our bodies through spring detoxification. No supplements or massive restrictions necessary. Providing the greens are organic; because greens are one of the highest pesticide crops, our green smoothies can help to improve digestion, increase energy, lower inflammation, regulate metabolism, boost our vitamin and mineral intake and just make us feel good.

And who says you can’t feel good while you enjoy an ice-cream inspired smoothie?

I wanted to make this smoothie free from the mint extracts so I used steeped tea instead!

Not only does it give the smoothie a real mint flavor, it also allows us to cut the calories so that ingredients with a stronger nutrient punch; like hemp seeds, could be added.

Mint Chocolate Chip Smoothie

Vegan, Gluten free, Dairy free, Yeast free, Corn free, Grain free

Thick, sweet and delicious mint chocolate chip smoothie with no extracts or artificial flavors.

Yield: 2 cups

Servings: 1

print, email or text this recipe

To be prepared at least 30 minutes in advance:

1. Steep the tea in the 1/2 cup boiling water until ready to use in the smoothie so that it’s really concentrated. Wait until the water has cooled, about 30 minutes. I just make my tea at night and let it sit on the counter overnight.
  2. Place all ingredients but chocolate chips in your blender in the order of the ingredients listed. blend for 30 seconds or until smooth.
  3. Drop in half of the chocolate chips and pulse quickly.
  4. Pour into a cup and top with leftover chocolate.

To boost the detoxifying and cleansing properties of this smoothie, you could add chlorella or spirulina powder!

View nutrition info

Did anyone else get fooled this April 1st?

Surprisingly Pebbles was the one that got me this year. I let the dogs out into the backyard at 6am yesterday morning. It was a nice morning, so I decided to clean the deck a bit while they did their business. About 15 minutes later I called them in for breakfast but only Lexy came. I called again, no Pebbles. There’s a killer hawk in the neighborhood that likes to steal small dogs, but I was outside the entire time so I was sure Pebbles wasn’t stolen by the hawk… I called again, and again… of course this is when I began to worry.

I raced back in the house searching high and low for that darn dog. I couldn’t find her after 10 minutes of searching so I went to wake Kevin. On my way to the bedroom I noticed my office door opened just slightly. I pushed it open and there was Pebbles, on my desk eating my breakfast. She just looked up at me like ‘Hey Mom, want some?’

I still have no idea how she managed to get back in the house, into my office and on my desk. That breakfast must have smelled pretty darn good!

Lucky for me, I’d left my smoothie out on the counter so all she got was my incredibly lame fruit salad.

Jokes on you little dog, jokes on you.

Beth @ Tasty Yummies

This looks amazing Leanne. I may have to make one when I get home from yoga this morning. I love any excuse to add chocolate to my breakfast. :)

LOL on the dog story! This smoothie sounds amazing, and I love how you used mint tea in it rather than extracts. The photos are gorgeous! My body is definitely feeling spring and the need to cleanse. I’ve been eating a lot more raw foods and yesterday made some fresh green juice in the Vitamix (borrowing it from a friend until mine arrives) which was awesome! Have a great day Leanne! :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen)

I did get fooled and really I don’t like April Fools day. There are some things that I just don’t think are funny. Oh well, I will wise up one of these days and not fall for it.

The smoothie looks delicious! I’ve been craving mint chocolate chip lately. I need to try this one out! Have a great week Leanne!

LOVE the idea of the mint tea instead of extract-brilliant!

Me? Nah, of course I didn’t get fooled!!

Gina C.

Mmmmm….this looks fantastic! By 10 am yesterday, I was kind of bored with all of the “I’m pregnant” April Fool’s jokes!

Nature is beautiful. Love the GREEN green of this smoothie, no food dye needed :)

katie @KatieDid

You couldn’t have described my palate lately any better- all of a sudden loving smoothies, big green salads at least once a day, and I’ve been adding lemon and lime to my water everyday! It’s actually super interesting to me to listen to my natural cues and observe my palate and tastes changing with the season!

Lesley

Looks tasty! I’ve been drinking a lot of green smoothies lately. What about steaming the greens first? Is it ok to eat them raw all the time? Thanks!

Because I used spinach with this smoothie, it’s okay raw. But if you’re using kale specifically, you should be heating it up slightly. Instead of steaming and dirtying more dishes, just run the kale under hot water for 60 seconds. Thanks for mentioning it!

Lesley

That is a great idea. Thank you so much!

Sonnet

Yum! I’ve never tried adding mint to a green smoothie before. Fabulous! :)

This smoothie looks so refreshing! And that’s awesome about the Pebbles story. I didn’t get fooled by anyone, but I got my boyfriend pretty good! :)

Frugal Jen | Frugal, Freebies and Deals

genius.. I might throw in an avocado, too.. I think my girls would love it.

jenetta

Frugal Jen | Frugal, Freebies and Deals

Just made it with the avocados.. yum

jenetta

Nora @ Natural Noshing

I’ve made a mint shake with spinach a couple months ago but the photos didn’t turn out like yours (due to blah winter lighting)- yours are amazing as always! I need to try your version though, I used avocado instead of banana and this sounds delish!
I nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award in case you want to check it out :) I’m sure you’ve already been mentioned but just wanted to send you some link love!

Heather G

I have been meaning to try a smoothie using mint tea for weeks! Can’t wait to try it

Lilia

Interesting combination. Excited to try.

GiGi Eats Celebrities

Seriously LOVE that the reason this drink is GREEN is because of the SPINACH! I remember when I used to eat mint chocolate chip ice cream, I would only eat it if it was green… I was a food color loving wh***! Ah ha ha!

Dani

Ok, so I have been hooked on this smoothie for a couple of weeks now- I love that the only sweetness comes from the banana and chippits, but without cutting back on any flavor. A tip to everyone else; I ran out of spinach and so was eyeing my mixed salad greens… I threw in a cup and a half and added in a splash of extra tea and it came out great!!

Dani

Another tip! After running out of dairy free chocolate chips, I substituted 1 T cocoa powder and added 6 drops liquid stevia! The color was a little off but the flavor was still delicious!

Oh yum, thanks for sharing!

Victoria

Just made this and it is great! Feels like I’m drinking a mint choc chip shake, but without all the calories and pain that comes with ingesting cow’s milk, not to mention all the white sugar. I will be making this one again!