Healing and Repairing my Digestion: Part II

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on January 16, 2012

For an introduction to the healing and repairing digestion series, check out this post.

Before we get started with the menu for juice fast day #1, a couple of questions came up from last weeks’ post.

You mentioned that you weren’t keen on cleansing in the winter. This is the first I’ve heard of this, can you explain why?

I generally don’t recommend that people do cleanses or detoxes in the winter because of the affect it has on our mucus membranes. Our membranes compile up with mucus in the winter to protect our immune from attaching to unwanted viruses and bacteria. When you do a detox, it rids your body of the immune supporting mucus and can lead to a nasty flu. Since the winter is full of bacteria and viruses just waiting to attach to anything, winter is not the best time to be clearing out our bodies.

I don’t have a juicer. Is there another way that I can make juice?

If you have a blender; preferably a good and strong blender, you can make your juices in it. Just follow the recipes and add some water to the mix (about 1-2 cups). Blend until everything is pulverized, then strain the mixture through cheesecloth, a nut milk bag, or as some of you recommended, nylon socks.

I don’t have the time to commit to juicing everyday. Can I do a juice cleanse using store bought juice?

The key benefit to doing a juice fast or cleanse is the nutrients and enzymes the raw fruits and vegetables provide. Store bought juice is pasteurized meaning much of the healthy benefits are removed, and all we’re left with is fructose and a couple of vitamins. I highly recommend that you stick to homemade juices, or find a local shop that will prepare fresh juices for you on the spot. Ideally, you want the vegetables to be organic, and well washed.

Okay, let’s get this party started!

Overview

The juice fast will allow my digestive system to take a break, while still giving my body the nutrients it needs. The diet will be pretty low in protein and overall energy, so I plan on taking it relatively easy for the next two days. I will transition from juices to whole food smoothies on Wednesday to slowly reintroduce proteins and fats.

Immune strengthening

Any longer than three days of this and I’ll surely hit detox mode which I have no intention of doing. If I wasn’t going to India soon, I’d be more inclined to do this for a full week. But I really don’t want to get sick and detoxes usually end up with me battling the flu for awhile. To help protect my immune system, I’ll be adding one gram (up to 3 grams per day) of vitamin C powder to all of my juices. This will also help move things along for my digestion.

Teas

Teas are great when you’re juice fasting. They’re comforting, warming, and calming. Some of my favorites are chamomile, peppermint, lemon grass, and ginger root.

Juice preparation

If you want to prepare your juices ahead of time as I did, make as usual and store in mason jars. Mason jars allow you to get the least amount of oxygen sitting with your juice, allowing it to stay fresher, longer.

Place the mason jar in a large bowl to catch spill over. Fill the jars to the very top, so they’re about to spill over. Using a screw cap style lid, lightly place the flat portion of the lid on the mason jar; be sure not to press down too firmly or you’ll hear a popping noise from the flat lid. This will trap too much air inside and spoil your juice. Screw on the mason ring and wipe off juice before placing it in the fridge.

Store in the fridge for 1-2 days.

Alternatively, you can prepare your smoothies or juices and store them in the freezer. Be sure to leave room at the top of your jars when freezing to allow the liquid to expand slightly. There’s nothing worse than a mason jar blowing up in your freezer. Believe me.

Plan in action

I’ll be having about 2-3 liters of juice per day.

Each recipe below makes about 1 serving. I’ve prepared a couple of batches of the same juice so I have lots on hand throughout the day today.

[print_this]

Sweet and Green

Vegan, Gluten free, Dairy free, Sugar-free, Yeast free, Corn free, Grain free

The color of this juice is out of this world! Just looking at it makes me feel like it’s working it’s healing magic on me!

Yield: 750mL or 3 cups

Servings: 1

• 1 pear
  • 1 apple
  • 2 cups spinach
  • 1 bunch of kale
  • 1 celery stalk (about 10 sticks with leaves)
  • 1 cucumber

If you have a ‘low’ setting on your juicer, begin with the softer veggies first – spinach, kale and cucumber. Then turn to ‘high’ and juice the pear, apple, and celery.

View nutrition facts

[/print_this]

[print_this]

Veggie Overload

Vegan, Gluten free, Dairy free, Sugar-free, Yeast free, Corn free, Grain free

This juice has loads of different veggies and has a taste similar to V8. Feel free to add carrots, too!

Yield: 1000mL or 4 cups

Servings: 1

• 2 tomatoes
  • 4 cups spinach
  • 1 bunch of kale
  • 3 green onions
  • 1 celery stalk (about 10 sticks with leaves)
  • 1 green pepper
  • 1/2 bunch parsley
  • 1/2 lemon, juiced by hand and added in afterward

If you have a ‘low’ setting on your juicer, begin with the softer veggies first – tomato, spinach, kale, and parsley. Then turn to ‘high’ and juice the onions and celery. Squeeze in juice from half a lemon.

View nutrition facts

[/print_this]

It is extremely challenging to determine the nutrition facts for homemade juice blends. So, I’ve calculated them based on the whole fruit and vegetable. The facts will stay relatively the same from whole food to juice, the only thing that will be missing is the fiber content which I have adjusted accordingly.

Okay, I’m off to enjoy my first helping of sweet and green for breakfast! I’m already missing food and chewing, but 3 days isn’t a long time. I just have to constantly remind myself that the steps I’m taking are helping me get my digestion back!

Enjoy your day :)

Rebecca @ Naturally Healthy and Gorgeous

I don’t know if I could do a detox like that, I would miss chewing too! Good luck!

Wow, what an informative post! Firstly, I had no idea that I could use my blender to make veggie juices, but it really is quite a beast and I think it could handle it if I use a strainer afterwards. And about the teas… do you think you’ll stick to non-caffeinated ones since those with caffeine are diuretics? I suppose hydration isn’t really an issue when you’re drinking 2-3 liters of juice per day but I’m curious! Can’t wait to try the sweet n green!

I’m not too concerned over the diuretic affect of tea, but more the caffeine jittery feeling. Generally, if I get the jitters I eat something. But since I can’t do that, my plan is to avoid caffeine!

katie @KatieDid

Best of luck with this process Leanne!

Lisa @ Healthful Sense

The juices look great and so refreshing.
I haven’t ever done a juice fast but I do sometimes do a “cleansing” diet where I only eat fruits, veggies, whole grains, nuts, oils, herbs, and spices.
Look forward to reading more =)

Ana

I love green juices!! Those two recipes are very similar to what I usually make, totally delicious, and as you mentioned, amazing color too!
Are you planning to do something with all the juice pulp you are getting? I am always open to ideas on how to use all that juice fiber!
Ana

Since I wont be eating solid foods for a couple of days, I fed yesterdays pulp to the dogs. They LOVED it! For today’s fiber I’m going to save it for veggie burgers I’ll make on the weekend!

Ana

Thanks for your reply! Do you have a recipe for the veggie burger?! I don’t have a dog (but that is a great idea for not let it go to waste!!), so if not using right away to make crackers I freeze my pulp!
Ana

I’ve been meaning to write down the recipe for years. It’s usually about 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa, 1 cup pulp (really dry), 1/2 cup cooked beans, 1 egg or flax egg, spices like salt and pepper and whatever else you want to add. Cook the quinoa as normal and then let it cool down slightly. Then combine everything in a bowl and form into patties. Heat 2 tbsp coconut oil in a skillet and cook patties for about 6-7 minutes per side. Sometimes I add ground flax to help hold it together. It really depends on what type of veggies you use on how the dough will hold together. enjoy :)

Ana

Wow, thank you so much for the recipe idea, I am definitely trying this one sometime soon! Can’t wait to make more green juice now :-)
Ana

Amanda

Do you think I could freeze the pulp, then use it on another day for burgers, if I thaw it first? Not sure if that would affect the texture in a bad way…

f

crackers? wow! how do you make crackers from the pulp?

Nadine

Once again you’ve given us a lot of great information to think about! I know I’m not ready to tackle a cleanse – but when I am I’ll definitely be looking at your posts for inspiration and direction. Thanks Leanne!

Robyn

I just finished a 3 day juice cleanse similar to the one you are about to do… I found an INSANE difference in my digestion and my cravings. My tummy seems more settled, my cravings are almost zero for sugar/salt, and I dont feel as hungry as I used to. I am still doing a form of a whole food cleanse for one month’s time, eliminating dairy, sugar, alcohol, and flour. I feel great! I did notice some detox-like symptoms such as skin breakouts,a slight irritability when on the juice cleanse, and a “furry” tongue feeling.
Good luck with your cleanse and I look forward to hearing the results:)

Thanks for your comment, Robyn! Makes me feel that I can totally do this and gives me confidence that what I’m doing should actually help things!

Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco

This detox looks great! I think I’ve told you this before, but I just feel the need to tell you again. Your pictures are simply stunning! What kind of camera do you have? Thanks!

Thanks again for sharing so openly and for the Q & A sesh. I know these posts are appreciated by everyone!

TeenyLittleSuperChef

Thanks for all the great info and juice recipes! I love how my body feels after a few days of detoxing and this just was just more encouragement to me that right now might be a good time to cleanse the old system for a bit. I’ve never thought to put onions in my juices before. Does it taste really onion-y or is it pretty subtle? I love onions but I don’t know if I’d want to have it pureed into my drink especially if it makes my breath smell… although maybe I do :)

haha I had no onion breath! I just finished off a serving of the juice and asked Kevin to check my breath. We good! There’s such a small amount in there, I liked it. But it’s a preference thing!

Amber

I love your photos! They really invited me in, and once I got here, I was thrilled to find your happy, healthful recipes. This green juice recipe looks right up my alley. Thanks for sharing this!

Beth @ Tasty Yummies

Thanks so much for sharing all of this Leanne. As I mentioned in my email – it couldn’t come at a better time. I am juicing and smoothie-ing like crazy this week. Not exclusively, but on top of avoiding dairy, sugar, caffeine, alcohol and meat for a while to give my tummy a rest.
Quick question – based on what I am going through right now, I have seen in many places that I should avoid roughage like raw vegetables (some not all), seeds, nuts, etc. Is it safe to assume that juicing would be OK though – since the actual “roughage” part is removed when juicing? I am assuming that is the case – but I don’t wanna be a dummy and make things worse! Thanks again!

Heya Beth :) For sure, the roughage is only applicable in your instance when it’s in its whole form. Juice it, and you’ll be okay. I’d be a bit hesitant with smoothies – you’ll have to gauge it. For myself, I can’t overdo the roughage in my smoothies so I limit it to 2-3 times a week and indulge in spinach or kale in my smoothie with nut butter.

Leah

Hi, Leanne! I just found your site recently and love all your recipes. I can’t wait to try them out!! I recently “went vegan.” Actually-just one week ago today (after eating Taco Bell the night before-horrific!) I went 100% vegan overnight. Crazy! But our church is doing a church wide fast and I felt like this would be the best way for me to really start eating clean and healthy.
Anyways, does the first green recipe you gave taste “vegetable-y” or does it have enough sweetness from the apple and pear? I can’t stand vegetable juices-I literally gag so I am hoping this will be sweet enough to over ride the vegetable taste. My first green juice I made a few months back was a night mare and since then I have been too scared to try another out lol!
Thanks so much, looking forward to checking your blog regularly!

Hi Leah – good for you for listening to your body and going vegan. On a scale of 1 to 5, 1 being really vegetabley (hehe) I’d say the sweet and green is a 3.5. i don’t taste any of the veggies, but I’m not too sensitive to it. I have another juice recipe coming tomorrow with ginger that’s about a 4 that you may want to check out, too!

threeblondesandatomas

these look so yummy!!!

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva

Keep up the good work girl! I know a few days without food is tough!!! I had an endoscopy and colonoscopy done last year and those three days were pretty trying! But you can do it :) Just think about how good you will feel at the end of it.

Thanks for your words of encouragement, Sarah :)

Nellie

Good luck Leanne, I hope that this helps you along your path to digestive health. I will try making juice using my food processor soon, may have to shredded things up first!

Nellie

jill conyers

Grocery shopping is done so I’ll be a week behind in starting. First, I’ll try with my blender and then decide if maybe I need a juicer.

Thanks for the info.

Holly

This might seem like a totally bizarre request, but I teach English to adults in France and I have a student who is a nutritionist. I was wondering if I could use this article and a few others in your blog for classes with her. I think she’d find them interesting and useful for her training in English as she requested working English pertaining to diet and nutrition etc. Thanks!

That is a interesting request! Of course, please use whatever you’d like :)

Jane

Thank you so much for posting this – so informative. I must admit, most “juices” that I have seen have scared me, but these sound really good! My digestive system has been really having some issues, so I am going to seriously think about something like this. Thanks for posting your “journey”! Best of luck to you!

Betsy @ Gluten Free Betsy

I just finished a week long detox. While I didn’t have juice for all of my meals, I supplemented them with the juices. Your recipes look divine! I will have to try them out soon.

Nicole Rouillon

Hello, Have stumbled onto your blog today and finding so much great recipes and information thank you!! Cant wait to try out some of your juices. As someone with food intolerances and badly damaged digestive system its been helpful reading about your journey. I wondered what vitamin c powder you use?? Look forward to reading more (:

Hi Nicole, I’m happy to hear you like HP! I have a great juice recipe coming tomorrow, too! I usually use this vitamin C: http://www.nationalnutrition.ca/detail.aspx?ID=2827 or http://www.emergenc.com/ hope that helps!

Jennie-Mae

Stumbled upon your blog through Pinterest. Just wondering if you drank the same juice all day or changed it up? To make 2-3 liters of juice how much you would have to increase the recipes by? My husband and I have been thinking of doing a juice fast. Thanks for your help.

Hi Jennie – I changed it up, having two different juices throughout the day. I just made a large batch of each and snacked on a variation. I hope that helps!

Rae

38 grams of sugar?? I’m confused about how this could be good for you.

Hi Rae, natural juices are high in natural sugars. When you’re going through a juice cleanse/fast it all the sugars that you generally have in your diet, are consumed in juice form. On average, with combining the green juices and fruit juices, someone on a juice fast can expect to consume about 50-100 grams of sugar. It can be lower if you do all green-based juices, but I seem to have an issue with those personally. Hope that answers your question.

Amanda

Hey Leeanne!

I have been planning to do a short juice/smoothie fast next week when I return from Spain (vacation = decadent food) & thought I remembered you having some juice fast info on here. So glad I came back to check! I’m thinking I’m just going to do one day of juice and one day of smoothies b/c I’m going to visit my boyfriends family two days after I get back. I could try to do two days of juice and one day of smoothies though, I could plan to bring ingredients along with me. From your experience, do you think it’d be more beneficial to try to do the 2 juice + 1 smoothie instead of just one of each?

Also, you said above that you made several batches so you had enough for more than one “meal”…does that mean you doubled/tripled the recipes above, or are the recipes already doubled? Your juices look/sound delicious, I’m thinking I may just make the exact same juices that you made for your fast. Haven’t used my juicer in too long, looking forward to it. Did you just stick with two different juices per day?

Thanks!
Amanda

Amanda

Whoops, spelled your name wrong. Leanne – sorry!

No worries, didn’t even notice it! Everyone spells it a bit different :)

Hi Amanda, what a fabulous trip you sound like you’re on! I’ve always wanted to visit Spain. From my personal experience, juicing was good, smoothies were better – just from a digestive point of view. Whether or not it would work well for your eating style and current health, I’m not sure.

The recipes will yield enough juice for half a day at least. I just made 2 difference juices per day, yep!

Have a safe journey home!

Annie

Hi Leanne.. is there a particular reason why you juice instead of make it as smoothie ?…

Not particularly only that this is what I felt I needed more. I generally like to do smoothies and purees, but just felt like juice was the way to go with this one. There are lots of us that are joining the cleanse and doing purees instead. It’s totally a preference thing and what works best for your personal health.

Christina

I’m so excited that I came across your website! I will definitely be trying out your recipes. I would like to try the juice cleanse, however I am in the middle of a cold. Should I wait for the cold to pass or will this help to get rid of it?

Hi Christina! Great to hear from you. I’m so happy that you found my blog :) It may be best to wait it out, make sure you’re at 100% but you could check with your healthcare provider just to be sure. I hope that helps!

W Fadel

Hello Leanne,

I enjoy your recipes and your site very much. However, I think the website code generating the Nutritional Facts label is malfunctioning. For example, the 2 recipes on this page show 0g of fiber yet have 64% RDA and 48% RDA (or something to that effect). That can’t be right… :-)

Will

Hi Will – thanks for stopping in and leaving a comment! The fiber content is 0 for these recipes as they are juices but the RDA should be 0 as well. Thanks for catching that!

Grazia

Hi Leanne ,
I have a juicer and a vitamix . I have serious digestion issues and can nit tolerate alt of fiber . If I use a vitamix to blend veggies and fruit ,do you recommend I strain the drink before drinking ?
Also ,your feelings on centrifugal vs slow/cold press juicer for my situation . My Gastro dr says fiber is not my friend .
Thanks

Hi Grazia – you’ll remove more pulp with a masticating juicer. And yes, I would definitely strain before you drink it!

You know what, I have no idea! I’ve never tried to freeze then defrost. Sorry, I’m not sure. Burgers are usually pretty forgivable though!