This week has been crazy busy with training, consults, a flood of new work at the office, and a bunch of appointments with my coach, doctor, and Chiropractor.
A busy week means literally no extra time to spend in the kitchen making fancy lunches. I had just 15 minutes a night to dedicate to packing my lunch for the following day.
My lunches have included:
- A bunch of Omgiidernigtd-Snacks. My favorites are kaia kale chips, coconut chips, and mary’s crackers with hard boiled egg.
- Can of tuna with one cucumber. I literally packed the whole cucumber in my lunch and ended up cutting it up at work
- Trail mix. Handful of raisins, cashews, buckwheat groats, and dried cranberries
- Lara bars. Lemon + Apple pie of course!
- Apples + cocoalmond mania butter
- Egg whites + cut up veggies. I packed 1/2 cup whites with veggies and just heated them up in the microwave when I was ready to eat them
- Brussel sprouts + chickpeas + coconut oil. I washed the brussel sprouts, threw them in a container with all ingredients and heated it up when I got to work.
- Pre-cooked meals like: No fuss Jambalaya and Exotic spiced lentil and tomato soup
But my favorite thing of them all has definitely been breakfast quinoa flake bakes.
I whip it together in 1 minute flat, throw it in the microwave, and prepare the rest of my lunch while it cooks [for 4 minutes!!]
I’ve made a bunch of variations: apple, strawberry, pina colada [I’ll share the recipe soon! Thanks for the suggestion Alex], chocolate + almond, and cherry cheesecake.
My mid morning snacking will never be the same.
- ½ cup strawberry pulp – about 6-8 strawberries ran through your blender, no water needed!
- ½ cup quinoa flakes
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar – brown sugar, or sucanat would work great too!
- 1 tablespoon of chia seeds
- 2 tablespoon apple sauce
- ¼ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- Prepare a 16oz. microwave/oven safe dish by oiling with a dab of coconut oil. Set aside. Drop all ingredients in a small bowl and mix until fully incorporated. Press mixture into prepare dish and even out with fork.
- Microwave option: Place in the microwave and cook for 3½ minutes. You’ll know when it’s done when it rises slightly, is harder to the touch, and pulls away from the sides of the dish. Don’t bake it too long, or you’ll have a chocolate Frisbee!
- Oven option: Place in a preheated oven at 350F and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow to rest for 1 minute before tipping over onto a plate and smothering with your favorite toppings.
These bakes have quickly become my absolute favorite recipe ever.
Do I say that too much? haha I swear, this is it!
What better way to wash it down than with a big mason jar of juice?
- 4 carrots
- 1 grapefruit [peeled]
- ¼ cup unsweetened cranberry juice
- 1 apple – I used granny smith
- ½ lemon [peeled]
- pinch stevia
Just 2 more days until my race and at the advice of my coach, I’ve switched it from a 10k to a 5k.
My knee is still bothering me and we just don’t want to push it too hard too fast.
I was able to run a total of 7.3km last Thursday, but woke up with a pretty tight knee.
Since then, I’ve been doing a lot of icing, swimming and strengthening.
I’m not giving up though! I will run that marathon no matter how long it takes me to prepare for it.
What are your quick and simple go to lunch items?
Do you have a juicer? Do you use it?
I hate juicing because I have to clean the darn thing BUT once I taste the juice, having to clean the juicer isn’t such a big deal.
Any crazy awesome plans for the weekend?
I took Monday off, so I have a long weekend wooOooo! I plan to sleep in, watch movies, make mac n’ cheese, and have a great time at the 5k on Sunday!