This week has been crazy busy with training, consults, a flood of new work at the office, and a bunch of appointments with my coach, doctor, and Chiropractor.
A busy week means literally no extra time to spend in the kitchen making fancy lunches. I had just 15 minutes a night to dedicate to packing my lunch for the following day.
My lunches have included:
- A bunch of Omgiidernigtd-Snacks. My favorites are kaia kale chips, coconut chips, and mary’s crackers with hard boiled egg.
- Can of tuna with one cucumber. I literally packed the whole cucumber in my lunch and ended up cutting it up at work
- Trail mix. Handful of raisins, cashews, buckwheat groats, and dried cranberries
- Lara bars. Lemon + Apple pie of course!
- Apples + cocoalmond mania butter
- Egg whites + cut up veggies. I packed 1/2 cup whites with veggies and just heated them up in the microwave when I was ready to eat them
- Brussel sprouts + chickpeas + coconut oil. I washed the brussel sprouts, threw them in a container with all ingredients and heated it up when I got to work.
- Pre-cooked meals like: No fuss Jambalaya and Exotic spiced lentil and tomato soup
But my favorite thing of them all has definitely been breakfast quinoa flake bakes.
I whip it together in 1 minute flat, throw it in the microwave, and prepare the rest of my lunch while it cooks [for 4 minutes!!]
I’ve made a bunch of variations: apple, strawberry, pina colada [I’ll share the recipe soon! Thanks for the suggestion Alex], chocolate + almond, and cherry cheesecake.
My mid morning snacking will never be the same.
5 minute Strawberry Quinoa Flake Bake
Vegan, Gluten free, Dairy free, Refined sugar free, Yeast free
The ingredients are easy, the preparation is simple, and the taste is out of this world! Not only will it satisfy your sweet cravings, it will keep you full for hours!
- 1/2 cup strawberry pulp – about 6-8 strawberries ran through your blender, no water needed!
- 1/2 cup quinoa flakes
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar – brown sugar, or sucanat would work great too!
- 1 tablespoon of chia seeds
- 2 tablespoon apple sauce
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
Optional toppings: cocoalmond mania butter, raisins, coconut, granola, more coconut, maple syrup, yacon syrup…
Prepare a 16oz. microwave/oven safe dish by oiling with a dab of coconut oil. Set aside. Drop all ingredients in a small bowl and mix until fully incorporated. Press mixture into prepare dish and even out with fork.
Microwave option: Place in the microwave and cook for 3 1/2 minutes. You’ll know when it’s done when it rises slightly, is harder to the touch, and pulls away from the sides of the dish. Don’t bake it too long, or you’ll have a chocolate Frisbee!
Oven option: Place in a preheated oven at 350F and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Allow to rest for 1 minute before tipping over onto a plate and smothering with your favorite toppings.
Makes 1 breakfast bake.
These bakes have quickly become my absolute favorite recipe ever.
Do I say that too much? haha I swear, this is it!
What better way to wash it down than with a big mason jar of juice?
Blushing Carrot Juice
- 4 carrots
- 1 grapefruit [peeled]
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cranberry juice
- 1 apple – I used granny smith
- 1/2 lemon [peeled]
- pinch stevia
Just 2 more days until my race and at the advice of my coach, I’ve switched it from a 10k to a 5k.
My knee is still bothering me and we just don’t want to push it too hard too fast.
I was able to run a total of 7.3km last Thursday, but woke up with a pretty tight knee.
Since then, I’ve been doing a lot of icing, swimming and strengthening.
I’m not giving up though! I will run that marathon no matter how long it takes me to prepare for it.
What are your quick and simple go to lunch items?
Do you have a juicer? Do you use it?
I hate juicing because I have to clean the darn thing BUT once I taste the juice, having to clean the juicer isn’t such a big deal.
Any crazy awesome plans for the weekend?
I took Monday off, so I have a long weekend wooOooo! I plan to sleep in, watch movies, make mac n’ cheese, and have a great time at the 5k on Sunday!