Chocolate Orange Pudding

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on September 10, 2013

Chocolate Orange Pudding

Every Monday, I prepare the week’s gluten-free, dairy-free meal plan for our glorious group of meal planning ninjas. They’re not actually ninjas, but after a couple of weeks on the meal plans, many have reported feeling like they could become a ninja, if the opportunity arose.

I am guessing it has something to do with all of the extra energy coursing through their bodies when they get on a solid meal plan that just… works for their lives and their bodies (hurray!)

A lot of the meal plan subscribers (aka ninjas *wink*) have told me that the chocolate pudding recipe that I shared with them a couple of months ago was an absolute treat. Originally, it was made with a dairy-free mixture of full-fat coconut milk and non-dairy yogurt, but when it came time to create a new round of recipes for my friends at Happy Days Goat Dairy, I decided to take a twist on your favorite dairy-free pudding and make it with goat yogurt instead.

Chocolate Orange Pudding

The result was pure bliss.

It is chia pudding, but the pudding is blended so that there are no visible chia seeds. The chia acts like gelatin – making the pudding firm and very pudding-like, and is guaranteed to entice even the most opinionated chia pudding skeptic.

Can’t handle regular dairy? Using goat milk helps with the digestibility of this dessert.

Can’t do goat dairy? No worries, just replace the yogurt with your favorite non-dairy yogurt. Easy.

Chocolate Orange Pudding

To print, email or text this recipe, click here.

5.0 from 2 reviews

Chocolate Orange Pudding
Author:
Allergens: Vegan (option), Gluten-free, Dairy-free (option), Refined sugar-free, Yeast-free, Corn-free, Grain-free, Nut-free, Egg-free
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 2

Chia seeds are used as a thickener in this healthy chocolate pudding recipe.
Instructions
  1. In a small saucepan, add orange juice, sugar, cocoa powder and vanilla extract. Heat on medium-low heat, stirring constantly until sugar is dissolved. About 3 minutes.
  2. Set aside and allow to cool for a couple of minutes.
  3. Pour into the jug of your high-powered blender or food processor. Add chia seeds and yogurt. Blend on high for 30 seconds, until incredibly smooth.
  4. Transfer mixture to a bowl, cover and refrigerate overnight, for at least 12 hours.
  5. When serving, add orange slices and shaved chocolate, if desired.
Notes
Yogurt: to make dairy-free or vegan, simply use your favorite non-dairy yogurt!

View nutrition information

Chocolate Orange Pudding

Chocolate Orange Pudding

Set aside and allow to cool for a couple of minutes.

When serving, add orange slices and shaved chocolate, if desired.

Chocolate Orange Pudding

I created 3 other healthy recipes for Happy Days Goat Dairy this month:

these Grain-free, White Cheddar Crackers

Grain-free White Cheddar Crackers

this Whipped Feta….

Whipped Feta Spread

and last, but certainly not least (my Mom LOVED this recipe!) a delicious batch of my 4-Ingredient Garlic Mashed Mockpotatoes.

Garlic Mashed Mocktatoes

I would love to know — if you had all the time in the world and your eating style (meals, snacks, everything), 100% worked for you all the time… what would your life be like?

Are you living it right now?

I want to hear about it!

Michelle Roebuck

I think about food a LOT – what I want to eat next, what I ate last, what my perfect *diet* would look like, whether I’m crazy because I think about food so much… But, that’s kind of the problem: I think about it then don’t necessarily DO anything other than run downstairs to the cafeteria at work or to a restaurant nearby. It shouldn’t have to take me moving to the countryside and working from home for me to get a better handle on making better choices of the things I eat! It really just takes determination and consistency… Guess I need to get on that train before it leaves the station, huh?

On a sidenote, I’ve been gobbling up avocados/guacamole lately – any idea what that might be an indicator of?

Michelle Roebuck

On another sidenote… Now that I HAVE a high-speed blender, I’m totally going to make this and see if I can *fool* my boys with it!!

Hi Michelle! I find that if I’m thinking about food ALL the time, that’s what is making me… weird about it all. The minute I just BE and do what my body is telling me, and stop obsessing over, “what am I going to have next” syndrome, I just naturally make better choices. If that makes sense?

Craving avocado usually = fat deficiency, pregnancy or a need to reduce inflammation. I hope that helps :)

Michelle Roebuck

It definitely helps, Leanne – Thank you!! It’s not pregnancy and fat deficiency is unlikely. A need to reduce inflammation is a HIGH probability cause. Alrighty, I’m on it!

liz hietkamp

These sound soo GOOD! and i love that you put in alternatives right away. it makes it so much easier than trying to figure out what to do instead of coconut whatever…i really appreciate the time and energy you put into creating these yummy doable recipes.

Thanks!

Kim

Can’t wait to try this! I’ve been testing all sorts of pudding recipes to wean the kids off the packaged crap. The grass-fed beef gelatin pudding was not a hit, it was more like chocolate jello, so I got to eat it all. I’m hoping the chia seeds make it more pudding-like. (Even though I was excited at the idea of getting gelatin-goodness into my kids’ diet – oh well.)

Do you think you could make this with other juices? I have some organic 100% cherry juice that I need to finish up. But not sure if that would work for this recipe?

Oh my, cherry juice would work amazingly! Cherry and chocolate were meant to be together. If it’s quite sweet, I would remove the sugar, but it’s up to you. I know — gelatin is great… but challenging to get the kids into it. I’ve heard of parents adding a bit of gelatin to smoothies to hide it ;)

Jessica

I have always loved food, and having to cut out dairy and yeast has definitely been a challenge for me, but I know that I function so much better and am more confortable in my body when I don’t consume these things. It makes it hard sometimes, especially when I am eating out and everyone is enjoying some amazing crusty bread! But I know that the satisfaction I will get from eating something yeasty will not last as long as the digestive discomfort will!

I have always loved organising things, so having to prepare my food ahead of time is actually quite enjoyable for me. Making sure I pack enough food and snacks to get me through each work day is something I look forward to, because I get to try out different, fun recipes (many of them, yours!) and eat them at work, to the envy of my colleagues!

I think finding out I had food sensitivities has been one of the best things that has happened to me, it has reintroduced me to my love of cooking and broadened my cuisine horizons hugely.

Heather

Made the pudding today and am eating it right now, it’s delicious! Once again another winner from you Leanne, thank you!

lora

I made this and as I’m eating it I can say its AMAZING! I love that choco-orange flavor. its fantastic!

Arya

I really like pudding. I will tell my wife to make it for me.

Sounds like a solid plan!

Mel @ a table prepared

Oh yum the pudding looks delish. Chocolate and orange are a perfect match. I have been trying to experiment with goat milk and yoghurt to see if my body likes it better than it does cows milk…and this recipe looks like the perfect one to try some out. Thanks Leanne!

Can’t wait to hear how you like it, Mel ;) Orange + chocolate were sooo meant to be together!