Vegan Creamy Broccoli and Chick-un Casserole

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on February 5, 2013

Vegan Creamy Broccoli and Chick-un Casserole (2)

We now know how to make new dairy-free recipes like, dairy-free shredded cheese and we also know how to make dairy-free cream of mushroom soup.

I don’t know about you, but having these two recipes in my Done with Dairy Toolkit makes me want to run to the kitchen and make a creamy casserole. You know, the kind your Mom used to make with a couple of cans of cream of mushroom soup, broccoli, chicken and loads of cheese? It was all rich and creamy, comforting… But man was that casserole a heavy one. I’m all for fats and eating a hearty meal, but 30+ grams of fat in one serving seems a bit excessive and totally unnecessary.

What if I told you that you could make that same casserole vegan, ridiculously creamy, and that the huge mother of a casserole makes 4 ginormous servings that are under 300 calories?

You’d do a little dance like I did when I tasted this baby for the first time… I know you would.

Vegan Creamy Broccoli and Chick-un Casserole (51)

To print, email or text this recipe, click here.

4.8 from 4 reviews

Vegan Creamy Broccoli and Chick-un Casserole
Author:
Allergens: Vegan, Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Sugar-free, Corn-free, Grain-free, Nut-free, Egg-free
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 4

A vegan approach to the classic cream of mushroom, broccoli and chicken casserole, topped with homemade dairy-free shredded cheese.
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350F and set out a 6 cup casserole dish. There’s need to oil the dish.
  2. Steam broccoli for a couple of moments to defrost. Chop into bite-size pieces and lay in the bottom of a casserole dish.
  3. Meanwhile, saute onion, mushrooms and garlic with 1 teaspoon of oil for 5 minutes, until golden. Spread on top of the broccoli.
  4. Add chickpeas on top, then mushroom soup, then cheese topping.
  5. Place in the oven, uncovered, for 45 minutes.
Notes
For the cream of mushroom soup – I used homemade sunflower milk instead of almond milk, added 1 cup cauliflower to make it thicker and doubled the onion powder.
This recipe can be frozen once prepared.

View nutrition information

Vegan Creamy Broccoli and Chick-un Casserole (111)

Once the broccoli is lightly cooked, place it at the bottom of the casserole dish. Add lightly sauteed mushrooms and onions.Feel free to use fresh or frozen broccoli. Frozen was all I had on hand, so it’s what I used.

Vegan Creamy Broccoli and Chick-un Casserole (109)

Then the cooked chickpeas. You could add any type of bean here. If you’re not big into beans and are okay with chicken, switch it up!

Vegan Creamy Broccoli and Chick-un Casserole (107)

Spoon the mushroom soup over top. Don’t mix it, just spread it flat with the back of a spoon and add a nice, thick layer of your homemade dairy-free shredded cheese.

Vegan-Casserole

Place in the oven to bake for 45 minutes, until the top is lightly golden. Remove, allow to sit for a couple of minutes, and devour.

Vegan Creamy Broccoli and Chick-un Casserole (43)

What’s your all time favorite recipe using a cream-based soup? Please share!

Meredith

Yum! This looks like true comfort food! Definitely keeping it in the back of my mind for a cold day :)

These photos are beautiful Leanne! I can see you definitely learned a ton at that photography workshop. I don’t really recall eating much mushroom soup as a kid – we were all about the chicken noodle in my house. With these recipes, who needs dairy!?!

Thanks Ange ;) We never ever ate cream of mushroom soup, it was never a favorite of mine, but boy did I love the casseroles my Mom made with it! Amen to that, who needs dairy? Pffft.

Rachel @ My Naturally Frugal Family

This looks oh so delicious and perfect for this chilly time of the year.

You just never cease to amaze me with your awesomeness Leanne!

Aw thanks, Rachel!

Isabelle

What is nutritional yeast? I’m a Swede so if someone could explain? I don’t think google translate translated it right =)

Harley

It is a vegan substitute for cheese mostly.

Hi Isabelle – nutritional yeast is a deactivated yeast, often a strain of Saccharomyces cerevisiae, which is sold commercially as a food product. It is sold in the form of flakes or as a yellow powder similar in texture to cornmeal, and can be found in the bulk aisle of most natural food stores. Source. Hope that helps :)

ashley

This looks amazing! Definitely trying this one. My favorite creamy soup is broccoli cheddar soup, too bad its not vegetarian friendly :-/

Mmm broccoli and cheddar, I love that idea! I used to love melted cheese whiz on my broccoli. I bet the soup was even better!

Chris

When making the soup, did u add 1 cup of cauliflower to the amount already called for in the recipe?
Also, can you use chicken breast instead of chickpeas? If so. Would you cook it first? How much would you use?
In regard to the cheese recipe, please clarify the serving size. Does the whole batch make one cup, so serving sizes are 1/4 cup? Or does the whole batch make 4 cups &serving size 1 cup each?
Thanks! This looks great!!!!

Hi Chris – yes, I added 1 cup of extra cauliflower to make it creamier. Yes, you can use cooked and cubed chicken breast instead of the chickpeas, same amount as what calls in the recipe. I bet about 2 whole breasts would do the trick!
For the cheese, the whole recipe makes 1 cup of cheese. Serving size is 1/4 of a cup. Hope that helps!

Charlotte

THANK YOU! This looks awesome. can’t wait to try it. And hope all is well with you, Leanne! It’s been a while :)

It HAS been awhile! Everything is good over here… just cooking, baking, writing, photo taking, same ‘ol :) So happy to see ya!

Shel@PeachyPalate

The topping idea is genius! Meant to comment yesterday!

haha thank you!

cindy

This looks wonderful – such a great idea – comfy food that you have made healthy. Your recipes, photos and website totally rock. Thank you for sharing :)

Thanks Cindy, that means so much to me!

A farmer in the dell

You are amazing! What a wonderful meal! Yum

Aw thanks a bunch :)

Andrea G

Yum! Do you think that the recipe for the “cheese” could be made with coconut oil? I try to avoid the use of oils and I was just wondering if it is essential or not? Thanks!

Hi Andrea – I think you meant to ask if it could be made without coconut oil? If so, I’ve been told by a couple of readers that it works okay without it, but I haven’t tried. Hope that helps :)

Allie

Okay, I have GOT to make some vegan cream of mushroom soup–I’m a sucker for buying more mushrooms than I can eat when I find them on manager’s special/sale, and I never know what to do with them all! Problem solved. And creamy broccoli casserole with rich creamy actual-good-for-you goodness? Love this!

Vava

Used almond milk instead of mushroom soup – it mixed into the flavor beautifully and became less caloric

Rachel

I am so excited about finding this recipe! I cannot wait to make it!

Hey Rachel – I can’t wait to hear how you like it!

Dayanna

Making this tonight, and so excited. My fondest memory of foods growing up where chicken and broccoli cheese bakes my mom and grandmother would make! Soooo good and can’t wait to try this rendition :D

That’s so special, Dayanna!

Barbara

I just found this recipe – don’t know how I missed it! – and am so going to make it. Thank you!!! What size casserole dish do you reckon I’ll need? Love your recipes!! Love your flexibility!