Cinnamon Roll Flax Almond Butter

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on November 26, 2012

Oh boy do I have a treat for us today! I’ve gotten back into making my own nut butters (enjoying a tablespoon or so drizzled over a fresh cut apple as a post yoga snack) and this latest batch is better than any other nut butter I’ve ever made. It’s more satisfying than my Vanilla Flax Almond Butter even!

If you don’t have a food processor and the thought of people everywhere out there making their own nut butters makes you a tad bit envious, do not fear… you can do it too. Just buy a thing of store-bought nut butter and add the extra flavors and ingredients yourself. All you’ll need is 2 cups of nut butter, a large bowl and a hand mixer. Add in the ingredients below and bam! Similar results in a flash.

For those wondering: I use a Cuisinart Elite Collection™ 12-Cup (3 L) processor although if I had to do it all over again, I would have just held on to my Black and Decker Quick and Easy. That thing was a machine and made nut butters better than my current processor.

Okay, let’s get to it!

To print, email or text this recipe, click here.

5.0 from 2 reviews

Cinnamon Roll Flax Almond Butter
Author:
Allergens: Vegan, Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Refined sugar-free, Yeast-free, Corn-free, Grain-free
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 2 cups, 16 servings

All the flavors of your favorite ooey, gooey breakfast packed into a nutritious nut butter.
  • 2½ cups raw almonds
  • 2 tablespoons coconut nectar
  • ¼ cup milled or ground flax seed
  • 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
  • Flesh from 1 vanilla bean or ¼ teaspoon alcohol-free vanilla extract
  • ¼ teaspoon Himalayan rock salt
  • Grape seed oil, drizzle in as needed
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 170F.
  2. Spread the almonds out onto the prepared baking sheet and mix with coconut nectar until all nuts are covered. Bake for 40 minutes, stirring once half way through.
  3. Remove from oven and add to the bowl of your food processor, setup with an “S” blade.
  4. Add remaining ingredients except oil.
  5. Process until drippy, scraping the bowl as needed. Drizzle in oil at the top of the processor throughout the process to help breakdown the nuts. This should take between 10-15 minutes.
Notes
You may have to add a couple of tablespoons of oil if the nut butter isn’t breaking down easily. The amount will vary depending on the quality of your food processor and the nuts used. I use about 2 tablespoons in my nut butters. Any oil will do the trick, but I like to go with grapeseed oil as it has a light, natural taste to it. Feel free to use any liquid sweetener you have on hand. Maple syrup would work nicely, too.

View nutrition information

Why the low roasting temperature for the almonds?

Roasting nuts at temperatures higher than 170F causes damage to their delicate fats. When the fat in nuts are damaged, they produce free radicals that can cause lipid peroxidation aka the oxidizing of fats in your bloodstream that can trigger tiny injuries in your artery walls. This peroxidation is the first step in the buildup of plaque and cardiovascular disease.

It’s crushing, I know. Heh.. crushing… nuts… I crack myself up.

Thankfully, all we have to do is roast our nuts in temperatures lower than 170F and we’re fine ‘n dandy!

I added the coconut nectar to the roasting pan just to reduce the stickiness. If you’ve worked with coconut nectar before you know exactly what I mean. That stuff is just about as stringy as molasses!

Once the almonds have come out of the oven, add everything to the processor. Don’t wait for it to cool as the warmed nuts make them easier to process.

After about a couple of seconds of processing the mix will breakdown into small pieces like the picture below on the right.

After about 3 minutes the mixture will be fairly dry and begin to climb up the walls of the processor. Just push it down with a spatula and keep going.

After about 5 minutes the mixture will begin to get oilier and stickier, still climbing up the walls. Just keep pushing with a spatula.

After about 8 minutes a ball will form. The ball is a sign that you’re almost there… yay!

At about the 10 minute mark the ball will fall apart and the mixture will begin to get drippy. Process for an extra minute or so and you’re golden.

It’s best to store your freshly made nut butter in the fridge.

Kevin and I pulled out the Christmas boxes Saturday morning and decorated the house all weekend long. It was challenging to find a space for everything in our new (and much smaller) home but we did it. It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas up in here! A couple of presents under the tree and a bit of Christmas baking next weekend and we’ll be right up in the holiday spirit!

Have you started to decorate your home for Christmas?

Oooh you know I’m a sucker for anything that involves cinnamon!! My Christmas decor is pretty limited this year due to the whole house sale thing, but the roomie’s BF brought us a mini Christmas tree (he cut it down from home lol!) on the weekend, so we now have that and a few wreaths. Not the full deal, but I’ll see all that when I go to my mum’s for Christmas. Yours look so great!!

Erica { EricaDHouse.com }

I pulled out the Christmas decor this weekend as well. It just makes the house feel so much happier :)

I made a massive nut butter stash this weekend. All kinds of flavors and types – but not cinn roll! And boy, does that ever sound fabulous!

Michelle R

Do you think this would work alright with soaked almonds rather than baked? My oven only registers down to 200 degrees and I’m not sure how I would measure/control a lower temp. The flavor combination sounds really good – I might even be able to get my picky son to try it! No Christmas decorating here, yet… My husband usually does it all because he’s a graphic designer and very particular about the visual placement of the decorations. I just sit back and watch the show! ;)

Janae @ Bring-Joy

I think this nutter butter would make a perfect Christmas gift for a neighbor.

I love that Santa book & your gingerbread house. Decorating for Christmas is one of my favorite things about this time of year. Since we’re moving during the midst of it, we won’t be decorating until right before Christmas–we figure we’ll leave ‘em up a bit longer than usual so we can enjoy the lights & tree longer.

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance

Looks divine! I love making my own almond butter–but I have to be careful. Twice now, the motor of my food processor has overheated. I’m afraid I’m going to break it! This only happens with almond butter–never with peanut butter. I guess because it takes longer and is thicker in consistency. I can’t wait to try adding flax–I had never thought of that.

kim@hungryhealthygirl

I started decorating this weekend too! I’ve been wanting to make my own nutbutter for a long time now. I may just give this recipe a try. What substitute would you use for the coconut nectar? Maple syrup or honey?

Jane

Leanne your recipes and ideas are always so inspiring. I decide to try this this morning, and used my small processor, thinking it would do the trick. I had some freshly ground almonds so I stuck those in, along with the remaining ingredients. I didnt get the consistency I wanted, and did not want to add more oil, but when I looked at it, it reminded me of something….COOKIE DOUGH. So. I added an egg, 1/2 tsp of baking powder, rolled them into balls, rolled them into an organic sugar/cinnamon mix and baked em for 10 minutes at 350.
The result: Cinnamon Roll Cookie Heaven.
You could also not roll them in cinnamon sugar, but instead drizzle with some kind of icing glaze…but I haven’t figured out how to do that yet…I can’t do dairy. Can’t do cashews so no “nut” icing. Hmmmm.

I hope you dont mind me toying with your recipe….I just couldn’t stand to let the mix go to waste.
PS
Probably didnt need the egg, could have made this a vegan recipe!

Suzanne @ RollWithIt

Oooooo, I’m loving this as a gift idea! Thanks for the tip about the nuts! I knew about heating flax and free radicals, but honestly did not know that nuts fall into that category. Love the decor as well! :)

Michelle@Peachy Palate

Looks so creamy!!! I’m yet to make my own almond butter….should really bump it up on the to do list!

Ruta

Oh yum yum yum. I’ve been on an almon butter kick lately and this recipe is definitely going on my to-do list. I can only imagine… a creamy cinnamon roll spread that actually GOOD for you, not just your tastebuds! Yay!

Adrienne

Love this! My son is really sick today but I am going to make this for him. One of the things he wanted yesterday was almond butter so it will be a great treat for when he feels better. Just shared on my fan page :-)!

Adrienne

Just shared this on FB and a reader / fan asks – is it safe then to bake w/ nut flours w/ the 170 degree issue you mention? Good question.

You know what… I was thinking that today when I was planning an almond flour recipe. Probably not. But all in moderation I suppose. Good to have grain-free option now and again, almond flour is a great solution. I think there will always be things out there that can harm us or that may worry us. I couldn’t imagine having baked almond flour items everyday would be good for you. Best to switch things up constantly. Hope that helps! Great question for sure.

Adrienne

I just found this post – helpful. It is hard to not eat the treats, isn’t it? http://www.marksdailyapple.com/are-nut-based-baked-goods-healthy/#axzz2DN3kz8fQ ( not sure what that suffix is on the end of his URL – ??)

Alissa N

This looks incredible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Apples with almond butter are an obsession of mine, and I can only imagine how delicious this is going to be with my apples!!!! I also love the idea of buying almond butter and mixing in!! I never thought about it but what a fantastic solution for people that don’t have food processors!!

Naomi

This has got to be one of the most delicious recipes that I’ve seen in a LONG time!! I love almond butter, but I’ve never tried making it myself. I think that you’ve added just the right ingredients to convince me to give it a try :) And it’s paleo, which is awesome!!

Liz

More pics of your Christmasfied digs, pleas! :-)