Can’t Beet This Smoothie

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on October 23, 2012

October and November are the perfect months to detox our bodies in preparation for the long Winter ahead.

There’s a 3 week cleanse program going on right now with whole food eats and while I haven’t been following it fully due to all the Halloween treats, I’ve been upping my fresh juice and smoothie intake and lowering my intake of grains. With yoga on top of that, I’m feeling fabulous!

One of my very favorite places to go when I’m on a cleanse and sick of making my own boring juices and smoothies is Jugo Juice. They have some of the best flavor combinations including their new veggie combo, Can’t Beet This. It’s a smoothie made with fresh-pressed beet juice, apple juice, banana and berries and it’s out of this world amazing.

Problem is, going to a shop everyday to get a smoothie can get a bit pricey.

Solution?

Make a Jugo Juice smoothie at home for a fraction of the cost, of course!

The beets in this smoothie are loaded with liver-supporting nutrients that will make your skin glow, your digestive system happy, and well, it’s delicious through and through, so there’s that, too.

To print, email or text this recipe, click here.

5.0 from 2 reviews

Can’t Beet This Smoothie
Author:
Allergens: Vegan, Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Refined sugar-free, Yeast-free, Corn-free, Grain-free, Nut-free
Prep time:
Total time:
Serves: 1

Fresh pressed juice in a smoothie combines the benefits of veggie juice with the fiber of real fruit for an incredibly delicious smoothie. High in magnesium, calcium, iron, potassium, and vitamins A and C. Don’t worry, the beets add earthy sweetness with no strange aftertaste.
  • 2 apples, juiced (2/3 cup apple juice)
  • 1 large beet juiced (about 3 tablespoons)
  • 1 cup mixed berries
  • ½ banana
Instructions
  1. Place all ingredients in your blender in the order listed and blend for 30 seconds or until smooth.
Notes
Don’t have a juicer? Try adding pomegranate juice to this smoothie instead of beet juice and use a not-from-concentrate apple juice. Alternatively, there are many farmer’s markets that supply fresh-pressed juice. Add extra protein or fiber to this smoothie by throwing in a couple of scoops of protein powder of your choice, or 1 tablespoon of ground flax seed or chia seed

I’ve had this Breville Juicer for 7 years. Wow, 7! And still love it just as much as that very first day I pulled it out of it’s box. It’s been a good little juicer.

Make sure to scrub your fruits and veggies really well before you use them in your juice.

I started with juicing the apple, then skimmed off the foam and snacked on it… the foam is my favoritest part of juicing! Do you like it, too?

Then I made the beet juice.

I paused for a minute or so to feed Lexy the pulp. She lives for this stuff. Every time she hears the juicer going she runs into the kitchen and waits patiently for the remains.

A girl after my own heart.

Do you feed your dog pulp from your juicer? Do they like it?

Okay, now for the fun part… we’re just seconds away from the finale.

Add everything to your blender…

And feast your eyes on the brilliant, bright color of this detox-supporting, all-round delicious smoothie.

It’ll take your breath away, guaranteed.

Tell me, do you cleanse in the Fall and Spring?

Would you be interested in doing a cleanse with me in November?

I love beets and this is great looking..the vibrancy just POPS! I love juice; just hate cleaning my juicer. I need to dust it off!

Crystal Dawn Webber

Hi Averie, Just want to let you know, you don’t need to use your juicer! Rinsing a nylon reusabale cheese cloth is way easier and less expensive too! :) http://aveganablefeast.wordpress.com/2013/08/20/juice-without-a-juicer/

Erica { EricaDHouse.com }

I love beets! I don’t have a juicer but I think I may make this into a smoothie using frozen berries.

Oooh yummy! I don’t have a juicer, but I wonder, if I were to chop a beet up and put it in the Vitamix for long enough, if I’d be able to get it to liquefy enough to make something similar to this… hmmmm… now you’ve got me thinking! I don’t think I’ve ever actually had a juice from Jugo Juice, but like you said, if it’s this easy to make at home, why would you spend the $5?!

Kate

I steam mine first and then blend them into a pulp, add water or apple juice and drink it all. So many antioxidants and fibre in the pulp! Yumm

I love beet smoothies! For those that don’t have a juicer, I can vouch for the blender. I do one with beet and citrus in mine that rocks. Need to try it with apple!

Cara

Love this! I’m on a mission to make something pink this week in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month. If my current idea doesn’t work, I’ve already decided to revert to a smoothie. So you may see something very close on my blog in the near future ;)

Christina

I never thought to feed my dog the pulp! I wonder if she’d eat it….I’m not sure if she’d eat kale pulp but most defnitely carrot and apple ;) hmmm this gives me a few ideas!

This smoothie looks delicious! Beet juice is a strong flavor but I love how the sweetness of apples smoothes it out.

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner

A cleanse sounds like fun, Leanne!!! Especially if it involves delicious smoothies like this one. ;)

Janae @ Bring-Joy

Yes, there’s something about the change of seasons that feels like it warrants a cleanse. I did a 2 week raw foods cleanse this spring. It was nice to eat light, raw foods for awhile, especially after a long, heavy winter.

I love beets, but am allergic to raw beets! My throat & tongue get all itchy….Pretty, pretty juice, though!

Richa

i dont have a juicer, so we usually just blend everything into smoothies:) i add the pulp if any left from straining into chewie cooked food. he will eat mostly anything, but probably not beet as is:)

Gillian

Love the idea of combining fresh juice into a smoothie – this looks like the perfect way to beat the cold weather blues!

Emily

This looks delicious! And I have been wanting to do a fall cleanse but haven’t been motivated enough… so I would certainly follow yours!

Alissa N

Wow, we are totally on the same wavelength!! I just made a beet smoothie for my site this weekend!! I love beets. I am totally into cleansing, November seems like a great time right ahead of the holidays. I am planning on doing one myself in the new year, but would be into doing a fall cleanse in November too. I always feel fantastic afterwards :)

Allie

Yum!

FYI- canines do not have the enzyme to break down the cellulose in veggies or fruits. Although they will eat just about anything, they are carnivores and thrive on meat/fat/soft bones alone.
The veggie/fruits normally do not digest well unless they are puréed or slightly cooked. I would think the pulp would be way too difficult to digest for a dog. Check the poo and see if the pulp can be seen, if it can, then you know it is probably not the best for your dog.

Hi Allie – thanks for the info. Our dogs have grown up eating raw fruits, veggies, fats and meats and do far better on them than processed dog foods. At the recommendation of our holistic vet, we switched them to these whole foods years ago and have been happy with the results however you’re right, best to ease them into it and make sure it’s best suited for them.

Allie

Oh sure, real food is better than processed, hands down. I do give my dogs some veggies here and there, but the fact remains that they do not have the enzymes to break down the cellulose. That’s not my opinion, it is fact. :)
My concern is the raw veggies in pulp is a lot of fiber for a doggie belly to try to break down at once. I often see carrot chunks in their poo when I gave it in chunks rather than puréed.
If we would see undigested food in our stools we would be concerned. Also, if a dog is on kibble, which is not easily digestible, then adding veggie pulp, that just seems a lot for a belly to handle.
Just thought I would share. Thanks.

Carol @ Lucky Zucca

That is too cute that Lexy likes the pulp!! We don’t have a juicer so I’m not sure if Sadie would like the pulp or not.. she is a picky eater though so I never know with her. This smoothie sounds fantastic- I absolutely love beets in my smoothies!

cat

Tell us more about the cleanse… and when you’re ready, given that you switched from a beet smoothie to faux Twix bars within a day. :-) My dog’s vet said he needs to have some fiber every day. He gets sweet potatoes most often, but sometimes green beans.

Ha, busted on that one wasn’t I? Smoothie and cleanse talk to drowning in chocolate. Awesome. I’ll definitely give you guys the heads up on the cleanse start date once everything is solidified. Looking at starting on November 5 so stay tuned!

Tess Danesi

What a great idea to give pulp to the dog. Certainly the apple pulp, not so sure about beets.

Going to give this a whirl now and add some kale and maybe a dab of spirulina for good measure.

char eats greens

I totally want to try making this now! And plus, I have the same juicer!! We’ve only had it for 2 years though, one of which it sat in storage as we moved across country and I for some reason decided that it should get left behind. But now I have it back and I’m ready to give it some more loving!!

Wow, I bet you regretted that, didn’t you? I didn’t bring my Vitamix along with me when we moved either (it was in the truck that took a month to catch up with us) and boy, did I regret that. Sometimes a girl just needs her clunky kitchen appliance by her side!

Erin

Great idea combining the fresh pressed juice with whole fruit for a smoothie. I have everything to make this breakfast this morning!

Thanks Erin! It has quickly become my favorite breakfast. I’ve been having it every morning before yoga and added 1 tablespoon of chia seed to boost the fiber/protein. Delicious! Enjoy if you try it out this morning :)

Vegan Radhika Sarohia

Nice photos! Will be trying this out, looks colorful and delicious :)

Colleen

My absolute favorite shake at Jugo! Thanks for the tip about feeding the leftovers to your furbaby!

Avi

Looks delicious!!
I make myself carrot, apple and beet juice couple of times a week.
I have the exact same juicer (stainless steel), I would recommend it to anyone:)

Something about that combo, it’s just insane, isn’t it? Glad you like the juicer, too. It’s definitely been good to me over the years.

Daniella Pozzolungo

Omg YUM! I added Mila to mine to add fibre, protein, omega-3s and antioxidants- WOoo best way to start a saturday! Thanks

Jay Scott

Beets are such a great way to add flavor and color to just about anything. This looks great.

I love the pic of you feeding the pulp to your dog!

Jay