Chickpea and Sweet Potato Burritos + Sweet Potato Hash

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on June 29, 2012

Preparing for a camping trip is always a big deal for us. I create lists, line up everything by the front door to avoid forgetting things, and still, we end up scrambling last minute. I swear I’m an organized person I just get distracted, and so does Kevin!

The one, and most important, thing that I certainly did not forget to pack was a late afternoon lunch for the drive out to the campsite. From experience, there’s nothing worse than being in a car for 5 hours with no snacks. For Kevin especially. He’ll think he can get away with stopping off at a fast food joint on our way out of the city, then complains of feeling lethargic for the rest of the drive. No fun!

The beauty of our healthy lunch was that I was able to prep the chickpea mixture the day before so that we could focus on packing and getting out the door as soon as possible.

Heh… at least our lunch was prepped and ready to go on time!

print, email or text this recipe

Chickpea and Sweet Potato Burritos + Sweet Potato Hash
Allergens: Vegan, Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Sugar-free, Yeast-free, Corn-free, Nut-free
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 4 cups, 4 servings

15 minute rosemary infused sweet potato and chickpea burrito mixture. Wrap in a gluten-free brown rice tortilla for a 300 calorie healthy summer lunch!
  • 1 tbsp extra-virgin coconut oil
  • 1 medium (130g or 5″ long, 2″ diameter) sweet potato, diced
  • ½ yellow onion, sliced
  • 4 sprigs fresh rosemary
  • ¼ tsp Himalayan rock salt
  • 2 cups cooked chickpeas
  • 2 tbsp sun dried tomatoes
  • Toppings of choice: chopped romaine, fresh tomatoes, avocado, spinach
  • 4 gluten-free brown rice tortillas
Instructions
  1. Melt coconut oil in a large cast iron pan on medium heat. Add sweet potatoes, onion, rosemary and salt, cover and cook for 10 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and cook until heated through.
  2. Remove from heat and add bean filling to tortilla along with desired toppings. Wrap and serve.
  3. Leftover filling can be reheated the next day for lunch in a wrap, as a salad topper, or mixed in with some leftover rice.

I made this sweet potato hash for my Dad on Father’s Day but haven’t gotten around to sharing the recipe with you. In keeping with the sweet potato, long weekend feel.. here it is! You can guarantee I’ll be making this hash over the fire this weekend!

print, email or text this recipe

Sweet Potato Hash

Allergen info: Vegan, Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Sugar-free, Yeast-free, Corn-free, Grain-free, Nut-free
Yield: 1.5 cups  Servings: 1

Delicious sweet potato hash browns with crispy onions and chunks of fresh garlic.

• 2 tsp extra-virgin coconut oil
  • 1/2 cup diced red onion
  • 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
  • 1 small sweet potato, cubed
  • 1 small white potato, cubed
  • 1/4 tsp dried thyme leaves
  • 1/4 tsp dried oregano
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
  • 1/8 tsp dried basil
  • freshly ground pepper, to taste

1. Heat 1 teaspoon of the coconut oil in a medium-sized frying pan on medium-high heat.
  2. Add onion and garlic. Saute for 3 minutes, stirring often to avoid burning.
  3. Reduce heat to medium-low, add remaining ingredients and cover.
  4. Cook for 10-12 minutes, until potatoes have softened.
  5. Remove from heat, add a round or two of pepper and serve!

View nutrition info

Have a safe and joyous weekend!

PS: don’t forget to enter for a chance to win a $50 goat dairy gift basket ;)

See you soon!

Is it bad that when I go on a trip, I pack my plane snacks before I throw any clothes whatsoever into my suitcase?? These sound fab, and I love how you got such a clean photo of the cross-section of the burrito! I hope you guys have a great weekend! :)

Cheryl @ happy is the new healthy

Something about a burrito makes me oh so hungry, even though it’s 8am and I just had breakfast…I chalk it up to how appetizing you make your photos–everything looks so appealing. I bookmarked this yummy one. :D

Erica { EricaDHouse.com }

These looks scrumptious! I hope you take tons of photos on your camping trip – I’m a total camping fanatic!

LizAshlee

This looks super satisfying and tasty!

I love this sweet potato hash! Holy yum, I think I might make this for breakfast this morning. Have FUN camping! I’ve actually never really been, unless you count a “girl scout camping” trip when I was 10 :P

Janae @ Bring-Joy

Leanne, I’m the same way with preparing for trips. No matter how much time I start preparing & packing in advance, I’m always scrambling at the last minute.

I’m a fan of chickpeas, I’ve just got to get my hands on some brown rice tortillas. Currently living in a gfree (and vegan) desert where I can’t get any of my fave grocery items. Boo.

Hope you have a relaxing time camping!

lala

that’s totally not a gluten free wrap in those pictures, or at least not a food for life wrap. the problem with gluten free brown rice tortillas, is that they’re impossible to roll them without cracking, or being too chewy. the best is to make your own with GF flour.

Hi lala – it’s not a food for life wrap, no. You’re right, they do fall apart. It’s sad, because they weren’t like that when they first came out on the market. The wraps in the picture are gluten-free. I purchased them at a local gluten-free store ages ago when I wanted to make turkey and egg cups but never got around to it. They’ve been in my freezer for ages! I can’t remember the name of them (just out on vacation) but I believe they were a locally made product. I’ll post it when I get home as they’re pretty delicious but very thick compared to the rice wraps.

katie @KatieDid

the hash looks phenomenal. have a great trip!

Oh my gosh THAT HASH! It looks delicious as do the burritos :) Have an amazing trip!

Stephanie

Oh wow!! Love all the wonderful herbs put in the hash. I have all the ingredients and I’d love to try it for dinner with a side of BBQ sauce – my favorite ;)

caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy

that hash looks heavenly! so yummy!!

Beth @ Tasty Yummies

YUM! I absolutely love sweet potato hash, so many fun things you can do with it. These photos look amazing. Out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on the Food For Life wraps? I heard some rumblings online a few months back of people getting sick after eating them and that they contained trace amounts of gluten. I personally am not overly sensitive and didn’t notice anything major (some stomach rumbles here and there, but it could have been unrelated). It made me nervous so I stopped buying them, I wish I could come up with a good recipe for a great bendable gluten-free wrap. That’s a tough one.

Holly

Love the burritos! I’m totally making them for lunch this week.

Eat Good 4 Life

Oh wow, I just saw this. I have been on a burrito hunt lately, as I need some ready to go breakfast and lunch healthy ideas. I actually saw that you used brown rice tortillas. I normally get whole wheat flour ones as I got the brown rice kind and where a bit tough to handle and wrap, maybe I got a bad sample, so I will get them again and try. Great picts :-)

The Food for Life brown rice tortillas are a bit challenging to work with. If you’re going to try them again, the best strategy is to steam them before filling them with goodies. Enjoy!

Michelle @Push.Pump.Progress