Berry Cinnamon Breakfast Nachos

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on June 4, 2012

Just like this recipe, today’s post is simple and sweet!

Instead of spending the weekend in the kitchen trying out a bunch of new recipes and prepping for the week ahead, I made 1 quick breakfast recipe, took a couple of pictures of it and lost myself in our garden all weekend long.

But hey, who said a quick breakfast couldn’t be a yummy one?

Inspired by Smuckers

print, email or text this recipe

Berry Cinnamon Breakfast Nachos
Author:
Allergens: Vegan, Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Refined sugar-free, Yeast-free, Corn-free, Nut-free
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 16 nachos, 4 servings

Switch up your morning routine by serving (vegan) nachos for breakfast, complete with nacho “cheese”, sauce, and toppings, all supported with crunchy wedges of cinnamon nachos.
Cinnamon nachos
Nacho sauce
  • ⅓ cup fruit juice sweetened mixed berry jam
  • 3 tbsp unsweetened non-dairy milk
“cheese”
Toppings
  • 1 cup fresh or frozen and thawed mixed berries
Instructions
  1. To make nachos, preheat oven to 375F and line two 9-inch cake pans with parchment paper or coconut oil. Set aside.
  2. Combine water, coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla extract in a medium-sized bowl. Add dry ingredients, garfava flour, white rice flour, ground flax seed, cinnamon and salt, one by one and stir until lumps are gone.
  3. Pour mixture into prepared pans and cook for 22 minutes. Remove from the pan, cut into wedges and return to oven on a non-lined baking sheet for 5-10 minutes. 10 minutes will yield a crunchier breakfast nacho.
  4. Meanwhile, prepare nacho sauce in a small dish by combining jam and almond milk. Set aside.
  5. Once nachos are complete, portion out onto 4 plates. Drizzle each plate with nacho sauce, mixed berry toppings and “cheese”.
Notes
Chickpea flour could be used instead of garfava. I haven’t tried the recipe with any other flours.

What’s your favorite quick and healthy breakfast recipe?

I like to think I’m pretty educated on my flours, but garfava is definitely a new one for me! These sound so tasty. You know I love anything with cinnamon! My favourite breakfast right now (if I’m in a sweet mood) is a big bowl of mixed fruit (melons, kiwi, berries) and a green smoothie. It’s probably more fruit and veg than the average person gets in an entire day, but it makes me feel awesome!

I’m totally on the smoothie and fruit salad combo for breakfast, too! Kevin thinks it’s weird – why wouldn’t you just put the extra fruit salad in the smoothie? He just doesn’t get it!

garfava flour?! you are always introducing me to the coolest new stuff! i love the concept of nachos for breakfast. they should probably be their own food group. :)

Garfava is very, very similar to chickpea flour, same consistency but more mild. Great for people that have said they don’t like chickpea flour baked goods. You’re right, breakfast nachos SHOULD be their own food group.

LizAshlee

I agree, it’s a new one to me too! I love my green juices or smoothies for a quick go-to…sometimes I will made them room-temp and warm them up on the stovetop with chia seeds for a delicious and heartier breakfast pudding…mmm :) What a fun spin on nachos!

Julie and Brit @ twosaucysisters.wordpress.com

We have SO many healthy/quick breakfast favourites! Overnight oats are always a lovely thing to wake up to in the morning, as well as a smoothie bowl or a delicious, healthy muffin with all-natural peanut butter and jam! Mmmm… :)

Smoothie bowl all the way, good choice!

That is a new flour to me, too! This recipe is so creative. (And shhh, don’t tell, but I think your take on breakfast nachos is sooo much more appealing than Smuckers’!) My favorite quick and healthy breakfast is a yummy bowl of oats with an assortment of toppings :) Or a smoothie. Can’t go wrong either way.

Secret’s safe with me!

Lindsey

Wow, I will have to try these! Looks delicious!

wow these are super creative! and super delish-looking!

Kristina

“who said a quick breakfast couldn’t be a yummy one?” NOT ME! ;) sometimes the easiest tastes best! this looks awesome. does garfava mean garbanzo + fava bean? I’m intrigued…

and i just have to say again, I LOVE the new look! each time I come here, it is a bright fresh smile – and is SO you!

I fished out your comment! Silly spam checker. Garfava = garbanzo + fava bean, you got it! It’s so great.
Thanks for your comments about the redesign! So happy to hear you smile every time you visit :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen)

Um, YUM! I love fun quick healthy breakfasts for the boys especially! This looks perfect!

As I was enjoying these (again) for breakfast this morning, I realized how darn fun this recipe would be for kids! I bet they’d love it, Sarena :)

caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy

oh yum! nachos for breakfast! sign me up!! they look beautiful AND delicious! thanks for sharing!

Deanna

Looks delicious! Love this idea.

B @ Crags and Veggies

BREAKFAST NACHOS!? What a spectacular idea!

Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau

This is such a fun idea! Plus, the “chips” without the topping is perfect purse snack food :)

Yum, that’s a great idea, Sally!

April

This looks delicious, as do all of your recipes! I aspire to improve my photography skills. I just like to come to your site so I can drool over the pictures of your recipes!

myfudo

Count me in as we make breakfasts, healthy, quick and fun! I love this pretty breakfast treat!

chris

Do you have the nutrition info for just the crackers? Can a different flour be used than white rice? How would you dehydrate them instead of bake them?

Hi again :) I use http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/recipe_analysis.php for the nutrition facts for all recipes. Feel free to place the ingredients in there and play around with which flours you want to use to get a rough idea of the profile. I’m sure you could use brown rice flour, too but I haven’t tried it. I’m not sure I would recommend dehydrating chickpea flour just as the taste is quite sour. If you wanted to dehydrate, maybe buckwheat would yield a better taste. Hope that helps!

Lori

My kids are going to LoVe you for this recipe!!! Who wouldn’t want nachos for breakfast?! :o)

Joy

wow just wow. Those look great.

How fun! A sweet version of nachos….and healthy! LOOOooove it :D

They are super fun to eat, way better than savory nachos if you ask me.