- 7 lbs. pork shoulder roast
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 3 cans natural stevia-sweetened root beer
- 2 cups (500mL) sugar-free barbecue sauce
- Remove the twine from the shoulder roast and place in your slow cooker.
- Sprinkle the roast with paprika, garlic powder and onion powder.
- Pour the root beer along the side of the pork.
- Cover and cook, on low, for 9 hours.
- Drain the juices from the slow cooker, return the meat back to the slow cooker, shred with a fork.
- Stir in barbecue sauce and cook on low for 1 hour.
- Serve with a roasted sweet potato and veggies or a gluten-free wrap, bun or bread.
Spread the love, earn karma points:
Root Beer: Any root beer here will do the trick. I used stevia-sweetened ginger root beer.
Barbecue Sauce: Any barbecue sauce would do the trick. I used a honey-sweetened (local) barbecue sauce. You can also make your own using this sugar-free barbecue sauce recipe.
Pork vs. Beef: to make this recipe leaner, swap out the pork for a sirloin roast. You can keep all of the ingredients the same except you’ll need 4 cans of root beer and you’ll need to cook on low for 12 hours instead.
Nutrition Information Per Serving
- Calories: 372
- Calories from Fat: 243
- Total Fat: 27
- Saturated Fat: 9.4 g
- Cholesterol: 94> mg
- Sodium: 321 mg
- Carbs: 7.8 g
- Sugars: 5.5 g
- Protein: 22.3 g