Vegan sour cream made without soy. Mind blowingly delicious. Creamy, amazing. Make now.
ALL of our friends and family members (including you) know how much Kevin and I enjoyed moving back to Alberta from Montreal, Quebec last summer.
The post that Kevin and I wrote on closing a chapter gracefully sums it up beautifully.
Lots of lessons learned. So, so many.
Life lessons, relationship lessons, and FOOD LESSONS.
Like: (thanks to Crudessence) always say YES to vegan sour cream. The kind made without soy, of course.
If it weren’t for our time in Montreal, I never would have discovered the power of the vegan sour cream made with cashews.
It blows me away every time. Just cannot get enough. And with the addition of macadamia nuts, this recipe is absolutely mind-blowing!
This is a slather on everything, no apologies, condiment. Plan to make 2 batches.
- Add raw cashews to a glass container. Cover with water and soak for 6 hours, covered, in the fridge.
- Drain and rinse. Add to the jug of your high-powered blender along with all other ingredients: water, lemon juice, macadamia nuts, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper.
- Blend until smooth, about 3 minutes. You may have to tamper down the ingredients as you go. The mixture will be thick and creamy. Try to avoid adding water.
- Serve with a batch of my Homemade Sweet Potato Tortilla Chips.
- Store in an air-tight container for up to 3 days. The sour cream will thicken up over a couple of hours. To make just a bit creamier, add a touch of water and stir.
Cashews: you could try using another form of nut here. Perhaps almonds with skin removed or sunflower seeds? I have not tested this.
White pepper: you could try with black, I just like white pepper because it's mild, yet still has a slight taste of pepper without overpowering the dish.
Soak time: this recipe will not work if you do not soak the cashews.
View Nutrition Information (once on page, scroll down)
The combination of nutritional yeast with the macadamia nuts and white pepper, gosh, it’s enough to make a girl want to make a batch of Homemade Sweet Potato Tortilla Chips and watch reruns of Lost alllll day long.
Not like I’ve ever done that before…
Tell me about a time that you tried something new (like vegan sour cream) and were surprised by the outcome!