Vanilla Pear Muffins

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on August 16, 2012

I’m pretty sure I’ve become obsessed with muffins. It feels like I’ve been posting a gluten-free muffin recipe each and every week. Hmm… I supposed I have been. But wait, these muffins are just as good as the last and they’re grain-free too which is a bonus, right?

Perhaps I’ve been drawn to create muffins because Fall is coming (eak I said the “F” word in August!) but there’s no denying it now. The kids on the street are talking about going back to school, school supplies are everywhere, and I’m getting the I must bake lots of things and freeze them for the blustery weather ahead feeling. Sure, I could make casseroles, and I’m sure that stage will come, but for right now… it’s muffins.

Muffins are a great school food. They’re portable dollops of goodness that Moms can pack full of good things and kids will eat without batting an eye. Add ground flax seed for a dose of healthy fats, protein powder to amp up your child’s protein intake, extra fruit if it’s challenging to get them to eat the whole fruit you pack in their lunch, double up on the nuts for added fiber… there are so many ways to make this lunch companion work for you.

For Kevin and I, our perfect muffin is something that’s light, low in calories, and high in fiber. We both love to snack, but at 250 calories a pop for the average homemade muffin, snacking on too much just ‘aint a good thing! We’ve both been less active due to a massive shift in our lives right now so we need less calories in a day, but love to eat and need to feel full when we do so we don’t keep mindlessly snacking.

Enter the muffin that’s solving our snacking problem one low calorie, high fiber bite at a time!

print, email or text this recipe

4.7 from 3 reviews

Vanilla Pear Muffins
Author:
Allergens: Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Refined sugar-free, Yeast-free, Corn-free, Grain-free, Nut-free
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 6 muffins, 6 servings

150 calorie grain-free muffins made with coconut flour, lemon zest, vanilla and fresh pears. Perfect for traveling, lunches, or a sweet afternoon snack.
Wet
Dry
Topping
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 400F and line 6 muffin tins with muffin cups. Set aside.
  2. Place wet ingredients in a medium-sized bowl and mix well with a hand mixer.
  3. In a small bowl, combine coconut flour with baking powder and nutmeg. Drop into the wet ingredients and mix until there are no lumps.
  4. Drop batter into muffin cups and place sliced pears on top with a sprinkle of coconut sugar.
  5. Bake in preheated oven for 16-18 minutes.
  6. Allow muffins to cool in the pan for 1 minute before removing from the pan and placing on a cooling rack to cool.
Notes
Muffins can be stored for a few days at room temperature. Keep in the fridge to prolong time, or freeze in an air-tight container for up to 3 months.

What do you generally pack in your lunch?

katie @KatieDid

I have all these ingredients for once! I feel like I never have the right ingredients to bake anything because I’m not much of a baker. But I have some fresh figs that I want to use up too… I think these might be happening today :)

Yum, these muffins would be SO good with figs. Let me know how it works out! Totally off topic – I made an awesome snack last night that made me think of you… I fried 1 onion, slices of red pepper in a pan with bacon fat, removed from the pan and fried 2 slices of back bacon (the round looking bacon) in it. Then fried a soft egg and made a sandwich out of the whole thing using the back bacon as the “bun” and the gooey fried egg and veggies as the sandwich insides. It was UNREAL.

katie @KatieDid

hahaha I LOVE the sounds of that, seriously. So I made these this morning! Well I changed them a bit… banana as a sweetener and added chopped fresh figs. I’ve already had two of them with butter, yum. But I didnt have muffin liners so they came out a bit… rustic looking, so no photos were taken :/ oh well, they are still delicious!!

Oh no! Well, it all looks the same when it gets in your tummy anyways.

Sooo pretty! I love the pear slices on top and with all that vanilla in the batter, oh I bet your house just smelled great!

I’m sure nothing what your house smells like ALL the time, you baker goddess you ;)

Erica { EricaDHouse.com }

150 calories?! I’m sold! I also *love* muffins but hate the high caloric price tag. Can’t wait to try!

kim@hungryhealthygirl

I love muffins so much. I actually made some banana chocolate chip ones this morning with all almond meal. They are vegan and gluten free……and delicious. I will be posting them tomorrow. I need to try these pear ones. My husband picked about 50 pears from a friends tree recently, so I’ve definitely got the pears to spare. ;)

Wow, I can’t wait for the recipe. I love baking with almond flour!

Tamikko

I love this recipe and can’t believe I have all the ingredients. :) I’m going to make them right now. Can’t wait to try it with some apple slices and a little cinnamon. mmmmm, tastes of Fall :)

Yum, I bet they were great with apple, too!

Kristina

…and if you eat them really early in the morning, like 4:30 am, out on the back deck with your dachshund… it FEELS like fall! ;) I have been making more muffins lately too – I am loving summer but definitely looking forward to fall…

these sound SO good – vanilla and pear are great together!

caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy

vanilla pear! ooooh that sounds so good! i love the slice of pear on the top too!

Sonnet

Gasp – yes, shame on you for saying the “F” word in August. ;) But these muffins look FABULOUS! I’m not much of a baker, but you have definitely inspired me to start playing with coconut flour!

I know, I know… I really felt guilty mentioning it today, especially on such a sunny Summer day.

Beth @ Tasty Yummies

These look amazing! Man I was on a HUGE muffin kick for a while and now I haven’t made them in a while. I think I need to make time to make some muffins this weekend. I have some beautiful blueberries from the farmers market that need to get eaten up! Thanks for the inspiration :)

Blueberry muffins are spectacular. I made a batch a couple of weeks ago and gobbled them up in just a couple of days!

Beth @ Tasty Yummies

Well I just made your blueberry muffins from a few weeks back! SOOO yummy. Different than the muffins that I usually make, but they highlighted the blueberries perfectly. I have never made muffins with just coconut flour but I really liked them, so did Mark. Very light and airy. The flax was an amazing addition, too! I cannot wait to have more tomorrow :)

That’s awesome, Beth! I’m so happy you guys liked them. Ya, they’re really light, aren’t they? I love them that way!

Lauren @ Empowered Sustenance

I love that this is made with only coconut flour! The pear topping is really creative. I look forward to trying this recipe soon!

Christina

Can’t get coconut flour up here either! Gosh I need to get on to internet shopping – what sites do you recommend? My husband and I are exactly the same. We are so big on snacking – but I do run out of healthy, filling ideas other than carrot sticks and banana protein muffins. Your carrot ones were a hit (made with wheat flour instead as neither of us have gluten issues, and as I said coconut is impossible to find here) – we loved them, hearty, filling and slightly sweet. Your photos are fantastic – love the wooden boards. You seem to have a house with many interesting surfaces!

Hi Christina – I link many of my ingredients to amazon as I find they’re the easiest to ship with, especially if you’re in the US. If you’re in Canada, places like Upaya Naturals, Bob’s Red Mill, or sometimes health food stores close to your area will deliver things.

I wish I could say that all of the surfaces are actual surfaces of furniture, but they’re actually pieces of wood I’ve either painted, constructed, or purchased. Making props for my blog is one of my side jobs ;)

melinda

Hi! I was out of luck with coconut flour so I tried almond instead. The taste is fantastic, the consistency, well I see why you recommend coconut flour. It’s really hard to get here in Australia, any alternatives/substitutes that might work?
PS my house smells like a carribean breeze!

Hi Melinda – Coconut flour is very, very different from almond so I have no doubt the consistency is completely off! I made these muffins with a combination of buckwheat and almond flour… perhaps this would work for you? http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/recipage/?recipe_id=6006475

My comment wasn’t published for some reason, so if you get a double.. sorry! I can’t wait for fall either, and I can’t believe I’m saying that. I love fall, but I will be so sad to see summer go! Our summers here are always too short. Butttt this means that pear season is coming! :) These muffins look & sound fantastic, I really need to start using my coconut flour more often!

Beverly

These look delicious and smell so good! I’ve made them without eggs, using 1T chia seeds, ground, 1 T gelatin, 3 T water and 1/3 c applesauce. I used a bit of coconut nectar because I ran out of honey. I had to back them 25 minutes. They seem to be a bit gooey, but we’ll see when they cool off.