Blushing Apple Smoothie

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on July 20, 2012

I’ve fallen head over heals for cherries. We found ourselves at the Farmers Market last weekend and within moments of getting through the door, I took a bee-line straight to the rows of fresh cherries. The fact that I already had 3 bags of them sitting at home didn’t phase me. Farmer’s Market cherries? Fat chance I was going to pass that up!

At the rate we’re eating them, you can never have enough cherries, really.

They’re great on breakfast pudding, as an afternoon snack while sprawled out on a towel on the deck, or added to a chilling afternoon smoothie before dinner.

Also, did you know that cherries are good for inflammation? I swore by cherries last year when I was prepping for my half marathon. They were fantastic at keeping my inflammation down was I was trying to rack up my kilometers before the big day.

Aside from cherries, cucumber is another summer-time food I gravitate toward because of their ability to hydrate in the driest of climates.

Adding to a smoothie with cherries?

Now that’s a great idea!

print, email or text this recipe

Blushing Apple Smoothie
Author:
Allergens: Vegan, Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Refined sugar-free, Yeast-free, Corn-free, Grain-free, Nut-free
Prep time:
Total time:
Serves: 2 servings, 500mL each

Refreshing dairy-free smoothie filled with cherries, raspberries and chia seed. You wont even taste the veggies!
  • ½ cup pitted fresh cherries
  • ½ English cucumber
  • 1 apple
  • ½ cup fresh raspberries
  • 1 tbsp chia seed
  • ½ cup water
  • 6-8 ice cubes
Instructions
  1. Place in your blender in the order of the ingredients listed, then blend for 30 seconds or until smooth.

Mmm… I’m speaking for Kevin when I say this has to be one of our new favorite afternoon snacks. Cooling, refreshing, and just enough sustenance to hold us over until dinner.

katie @KatieDid

I’ve been non stop with the cherries too. I haven’t made or done anything with them yet though (pitting them seems to be too much of a hassle for me haha) but I’m sure they are amazing in smoothies.

I thought it’d be a hassle too, but it’s not that bad. I just cut along the pit like you would if you shaved the skin off an apple. Just comes off in one big piece. Then there’s a bit of cherry meat leftover… to EAT!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen)

I ate an entire back of cherries by myself before I could make anything with it! I am afraid to buy more for the same reason. I won’t mention how fast that whole thing occurred either. This is beautiful and I imagine incredibly delicious!

Oh I am so with you on that one… started today off with eggs and bacon… now I’m wondering if I should polish it off with some cherries!

LOL I had a very similar cherry photo shoot in my living room on Wednesday… haven’t looked at the pics yet but I think many of them will come out looking like yours!! This sounds so so delicious Leanne, and what an awesome way to keep inflammation down too! I’ve been eating heaps of cherries in prep for my half marathon in a couple of weeks, and you’ve just given me another application for them! :)

Oh? I can’t wait to see them! I was inspired by Angela’s (OSG) cherry shoot and loved the look of the jute with the cherries, it’s a must!

Josie

Love the name of this recipe! It sounds delicious, too. We just plowed through 3 pounds of cherries here last week – this smoothie sounds like an excellent excuse to get more!

Erica { EricaDHouse.com }

I’ve never been a huge fan of cherries but it’s been a while since I’ve had them. I will have to try this out next time my bf picks some up!

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance

I love smoothies. I’ve never though of putting cucumber in them though. Can you taste it? I’m guessing not–that the fruit would overpower it. Which would be good, b/c I’m not a huge cucumber fan. :)

You can taste it slightly, but if you remove the seeds like I did in this recipe, http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/2011/08/green-energy-smoothie/ you wont taste the cucumber at all!

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner

Cucumbers in a SMOOTHIE?!?! What an ingenious idea to sneak in vegetables! :D

Irina @ Chocolatea Time

I didn’t know that cherries help with inflammation! Good thing I’ve been eating them like crazy lately because my half marathon is on Sunday!

There ya go, your body knew what to chow down on! Good luck this weekend, Irina :)

caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy

your photos are absolutely making my mouth water! YUM! this sounds so delicious and refreshing!

Rhona

This looks so good. I am loving the addition of the cucumber. So cooling and refreshing. And, added nutrients never hurt anyone. I just texted my sister after reading this so we can hit up my parents city’s farmers market this weekend. I am so in love with cherries. One of the best parts of summer.

Enjoy time with your sister, that’s the best!

Melissa George

I am definitely making this! What a perfect treat for a hot Florida afternoon! I’ll be making this with Ranier cherries. That’s what I have on hand and they’re on sale this week! Thanks for another yummy treat!

Mmm ranier cherries. Good choice, Melissa :)

Beth @ Tasty Yummies

Yum this looks amazing! I have been on a massive smoothie kick this week! I cannot get enough! I can’t wait to go to the farmers market tomorrow and pick up my CSA to see what this week’s smoothies will contain :)
Beautiful photos, BTW.

Thanks, Beth :) We don’t get to go to the Farmer’s Market often because a) the one in the city is too far and b) the one that’s close is only on Wednesdays… and for some reason I become oddly lazy on Wednesdays! Enjoy your weekend :)

I’m LOVING cherries right now too! Actually, last year was the first time I’d ever tried them.. I’d been missing out my whole life! Now I’m obsessed! Especially with chocolate.. great combo :) Have a great day! (By the way, I’ve been meaning to ask, are you going to do any more healthful hints videos?!)

Whhhhhhat? That’s almost as bad as me not grilling pineapple. How could you go through life without eating cherries? :P
Funny you should ask about healthful hints… I’m planning a re-launch in the Fall once I’m doing this full time and can devote a bit more time to production, content and such. If you have any recommendations on topics you’d like me to cover, I’m all for it!

Oh good! Those were fun so I’m glad you are going to continue them :) I’ll let you know if I think of any good topics!

Ya? I’m glad you think so. I was afraid they weren’t all that valuable to people!

All these fruits are all my faves – looks like a wonderful way to use up the abundance. I baked with mine but yeah, still tons more!

Laura @ Gluten Free Pantry

Right with you pretty lady-LOVE cherries! I also swore by them for my half-marathon this past Spring. I drink tart cherry juice concentrate mixed with water a few times a week for the antioxidant content. This smoothie looks gorgeous!

Julie and Brit @ twosaucysisters.wordpress.com

This looks so yummy and pretty – pink is such a lovely colour! And the cucumber would be such a wonderful addition, they always make smoothies so refreshing. Thanks for the recipe! :)

Mikelle @ Zen Thyroid

Delicious looking amazingness, as always. Can’t wait to try this one. That is, if the cherries make it into the blender. The cherries barely make it home from the grocery store! I will have to summon my willpower for the sake of the smoothie. Love the idea of putting the cucumber in too!

Oh my goodness, that was me on Friday night. I went to the grocery store hungry (bad idea!) and ended up eating the whole bag of cherries from the checkout to our front door. Sheesh!

Jenny$1983

I’m so looking forward to this smoothie, it looks like it’ll become a rapid favourite! I had this one for breakfast this morning: http://www.greenthickies.com/easy-black-forest-cake-smoothie/ with frozen cherries, purple grapes and blackberries – it’s about the fourth time I’ve had it in a fortnight and I never repeat recipes! It’s so delicious!

I’m just waiting for some unflavoured protein powder to arrive in the post, then I’ll be ready to go :)

Katherine @ Green Thickies

Thank you, that’s so kind of you. The Black Forest Cake Smoothie is also my favourite smoothie ever, but I’m going to have to try this one as I just adore cherries in anything.

Katherine @ Green Thickies

Yum, this sounds gorgeous. I’ve just found a local source for frozen cherries so I’m very happy as I don’t have the time to pit too many cherries as I always make massive quantities of smoothies every day. I have all these ingredients so I’m going to give this a try. Thank you so much.

I just love your photography too. Wow!

Kent Van

Hi Leanne,

Thanks for the amazing recipe! It was very tasty. The pictures are amazing too.

Great work,
Kent

Great to hear you liked it, Kent! Thanks for stopping by and saying hello :)