Breakfast has always been a challenge in our house. I love dried fruit, Kevin has an aversion to it, I enjoy a sweet breakfast, he’d rather no sugar at all. Needless to say, it’s rare that we can enjoy the same breakfast together. And that’s if Kevin even has the time to eat in the morning.
Our usual routine consists of Kevin waking up at 4am and getting ready for the day, then waking me up at 4:30. After he’s woken me up he usually leaves in a jiffy, but if he’s in less of a rush to get to the office; which seems to be happening less and less lately, we have about 10 minutes to enjoy breakfast together.
On days where he leaves in a jiffy he doesn’t eat anything until around noon. Then, he comes home saying how tired and starving he is… hmmm.
On days where we’re able to have breakfast together, I make a 2 egg omelet sandwiched between 2 slices of bread for him and a bowl of fresh fruit with some nut butter for me. It’s quite a lot to think of and prepare in the first 10 minutes of my day. Once, I put my diced oranges into his omelet by accident. I didn’t notice until he told me after he’d taken the first bite! Fail.
What we needed was a recipe that could be customized for the both of us, prepared ahead of time, and be eaten on the road if need be. When I saw this recipe for baked oatmeal cups with customized toppings on Pinterest, I knew that it could potentially mark the end of my rushed breakfast blues. With a little bit of tweaking, it had everything we needed in a breakfast!
We chose the following 4 flavors. Two for me, and two for Kevin…
Any guesses on which are mine?
I may just have to steal one of his toasted coconut cups. They look too good to pass up!
Baked Oatmeal to Go
Vegan (option), Gluten free, Dairy free, Refined sugar free, Yeast free, Corn free
Baked oatmeal in serving size cups that can be customized depending on the preferences of everyone in the house. Can be prepared ahead of time and eaten on the road if need be.
Would also make a fabulous slumber party breakfast for birthday parties and have each child decorate their own oatmeal!
Yield: 12 baked oatmeal cups
- 1 egg or 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon freshly ground flax seed mixed with 2 tablespoon warm water. Allow to sit for 5 minutes before use)
- 1 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/2 banana, mashed (yield 1/4 cup mashed)
- 1 1/4 cup non-dairy milk – I used original flax milk
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 vanilla bean or 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2.5 cups gluten-free rolled oats
- 2 tablespoon milled flax seed
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoon gluten-free baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan rock salt
- dairy-free/gluten-free non-stick cooking spray
We did 3 cups for each flavor:
- cinnamon raisin: 1/2 tablespoon raisins and sprinkle of ground cinnamon per cup
- apple: 2 apple slices per cup
- coconut: 1/2 tablespoon unsweetened shredded coconut per cup
- trail mix: 1/2 tablespoon Enjoy Life mountain mambo nut-free trail mix per cup
- Preheat oven to 350F and line a 12 cup muffin pan with muffin liners. Spray each liner with non-stick spray and set aside.
- Place wet ingredients in the bowl of your processor or blender and blend just until combined.
- Place all dry ingredients in a large bowl and combine. Pour wet into dry and mix. It will be runny, but don’t worry!
- Pour mixture into muffin cups and top with desired toppings.
- Place in prepared oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Mine were done at 27 minutes.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 2-3 minutes before removing onto a cooling rack.
Enjoy hot or cold, with a splash of milk, extra maple syrup, or plain right out of the liner!
I’ve started making my own non-dairy milk at home and purchased this flax milk so I could get a feel of what flax milk should taste like before I attempted to make it. I used the store bought version for this recipe and was happy with the results but wont buy it again. I found it to be a bit more processed and artificial than almond milk… if anyone out there is wondering. Once I nail down the perfect glass of flax milk, I’ll be sure to share :)
I recently received a sample of Enjoy Life’s nut-free trail mix and boy is it tasty! I’ve been packing the beach bash mix in my lunches for an afternoon treat. When I was trying to come up with toppings for these oatmeal cups, the mountain mambo mixture was a shoo-in.
Toppings or no toppings, these little baked oatmeal cups are an absolute perfect breakfast. We’re in love!
Totally not related to breakfast, oats, or toppings… I booked a hair appointment on Friday and have been toying around with the idea of doing a side shave. I love the length of my hair; about 3 inches from my shoulders, but want to spice it up a bit!
I’m not sure if doing the side shave is sooo 2010, or if it even matters? Or whether or not it would even look good on me. Whatcha think… honestly, should I go for it?