Baked Oatmeal to Go

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on March 26, 2012

Breakfast has always been a challenge in our house. I love dried fruit, Kevin has an aversion to it, I enjoy a sweet breakfast, he’d rather no sugar at all. Needless to say, it’s rare that we can enjoy the same breakfast together. And that’s if Kevin even has the time to eat in the morning.

Our usual routine consists of Kevin waking up at 4am and getting ready for the day, then waking me up at 4:30. After he’s woken me up he usually leaves in a jiffy, but if he’s in less of a rush to get to the office; which seems to be happening less and less lately, we have about 10 minutes to enjoy breakfast together.

On days where he leaves in a jiffy he doesn’t eat anything until around noon. Then, he comes home saying how tired and starving he is… hmmm.

On days where we’re able to have breakfast together, I make a 2 egg omelet sandwiched between 2 slices of bread for him and a bowl of fresh fruit with some nut butter for me. It’s quite a lot to think of and prepare in the first 10 minutes of my day. Once, I put my diced oranges into his omelet by accident. I didn’t notice until he told me after he’d taken the first bite! Fail.

What we needed was a recipe that could be customized for the both of us, prepared ahead of time, and be eaten on the road if need be. When I saw this recipe for baked oatmeal cups with customized toppings on Pinterest, I knew that it could potentially mark the end of my rushed breakfast blues. With a little bit of tweaking, it had everything we needed in a breakfast!

We chose the following 4 flavors. Two for me, and two for Kevin…

Any guesses on which are mine?

I may just have to steal one of his toasted coconut cups. They look too good to pass up!

Baked Oatmeal to Go

Vegan (option), Gluten free, Dairy free, Refined sugar free, Yeast free, Corn free

Baked oatmeal in serving size cups that can be customized depending on the preferences of everyone in the house. Can be prepared ahead of time and eaten on the road if need be.

Would also make a fabulous slumber party breakfast for birthday parties and have each child decorate their own oatmeal!

Yield: 12 baked oatmeal cups

Servings: 12

print, email or text this recipe

Wet

• 1 egg or 1 flax egg (1 tbsp freshly ground flax seed mixed with 2 tbsp warm water. Allow to sit for 5 minutes before use)
  • 1 cup unsweetened apple sauce
  • 1/2 banana, mashed (yield 1/4 cup mashed)
  • 1 1/4 cup non-dairy milk – I used original flax milk
  • 2 tbsp maple syrup
  • 2 vanilla bean or 1 tsp pure vanilla extract

Dry

• dairy-free/gluten-free non-stick cooking spray

Toppings

We did 3 cups for each flavor:

• cinnamon raisin: 1/2 tbsp raisins and sprinkle of ground cinnamon per cup
  • apple: 2 apple slices per cup
  • coconut: 1/2 tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut per cup
  • trail mix: 1/2 tbsp Enjoy Life mountain mambo nut-free trail mix per cup

1. Preheat oven to 350F and line a 12 cup muffin pan with muffin liners. Spray each liner with non-stick spray and set aside.
  2. Place wet ingredients in the bowl of your processor or blender and blend just until combined.
  3. Place all dry ingredients in a large bowl and combine. Pour wet into dry and mix. It will be runny, but don’t worry!
  4. Pour mixture into muffin cups and top with desired toppings.
  5. Place in prepared oven and bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Mine were done at 27 minutes.
  6. Allow to cool in the pan for 2-3 minutes before removing onto a cooling rack.

Enjoy hot or cold, with a splash of milk, extra maple syrup, or plain right out of the liner!

View nutrition info

I’ve started making my own non-dairy milk at home and purchased this flax milk so I could get a feel of what flax milk should taste like before I attempted to make it. I used the store bought version for this recipe and was happy with the results but wont buy it again. I found it to be a bit more processed and artificial than almond milk… if anyone out there is wondering. Once I nail down the perfect glass of flax milk, I’ll be sure to share :)

I recently received a sample of Enjoy Life’s nut-free trail mix and boy is it tasty! I’ve been packing the beach bash mix in my lunches for an afternoon treat. When I was trying to come up with toppings for these oatmeal cups, the mountain mambo mixture was a shoo-in.

Toppings or no toppings, these little baked oatmeal cups are an absolute perfect breakfast. We’re in love!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Totally not related to breakfast, oats, or toppings… I booked a hair appointment on Friday and have been toying around with the idea of doing a side shave. I love the length of my hair; about 3 inches from my shoulders, but want to spice it up a bit!

I’m not sure if doing the side shave is sooo 2010, or if it even matters? Or whether or not it would even look good on me. Whatcha think… honestly, should I go for it?

This is such a cool idea! I go through savoury/sweet phases with my breakfasts, and could probably eat my weight in fresh fruit at any time of day given the chance! I think I’d be stealing all of your cinnamon raisin and apple oatmeal cups. ;) As for the haircut, I don’t think it would suit me at all, but then again, I’m not that adventurous with my hair! You only live once, right?

Yummmmy :D Muffins :D Love it :D

And about the hair…hmmmm…I love your hair now! It looks very silky and shiny…I don’t know. I’ve never been one to really like the half-shaved-do, but whatever you really want to do!

Too funny – I posted the same thing last week, but used raspberries in mine. I like to store them i the freezer and then I’m 30 microwave seconds away from breakfast in the morning!

katie @KatieDid

I just started making some of my own milks- almond and macadamia nut so far, and I’ve loved how simple and delicious they are. Can’t wait to see your flax one, I have a ton of flax on hand to use up. And I Say GO for the side shave I think its daring and cool! Would you ever go short all over?!

Cheryl @ happy is the new healthy

These sound great! When I was sick of my long hair, I seriously considered shaving half like that! I went with a short cut instead and have NO regrets. Be brave, whatever you do, cuz you can rock anything if you own it and feel good. :)

Erin

I love this idea!

Veronica @ My Eats & Treats

These are beautiful! I am so making them this week! :)

Cara Jeanne

After a breakup, I chopped all my hair off and now have a Halle berry esqué hairstyle and will never go back to long hair!! It all just depends on if you really want to do it and how long it’ll take to grow back / how to hide it if you hate it!

Stephanie

Lovely muffins!!! I have lots of oats to use up – looks perfect ;)
I love long hair, so I don’t have much to say about the side shave…I would cry if I did it :( BUT I think short styles like Emma Watson’s or Audrey Hepburn looks lovely!!

All of these recipes look so delish…loving those big golden raisins and the toasted coconut. Perfect!

lou

i was in l.a. in january and this skrillex haircut is all the rage in silverlake :) you should totally go for it. if you don’t like it, your hair with grow back but i think it will look super cute!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen)

I LOVE peanut butter baked oats. I normally eat is as a treat though covered in my peanut butter fudge. These look delicious!

On the hair, I say go for it. I finally chopped my completely off. It feels so weird having a full blown pixie cut. I’ve always wondered what it would feel and look like on me. It feels amazing. I love playing with my hair. It’s kind of freeing!

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather

Love the customized oatmeal to go!! Both the cinnamon apple and coconut sound wonderful!!

Christine @ Oatmeal in my Bowl

The side shave is so… {lets see, when was I in HS}… 1987. I loved it. Had the side, the underneath. Love the feeling. Better show pics if you get it done.

Love the muffins! So going to make these. Baked apple and trail mix… no, maybe coconut… haha

Curious… anyone every try using chia seed like flax seed {egg replacement}?

haha isn’t it always the case? Nothing is ever new, just recycled. You make a very convincing case! I’ve used chia seed as a replacement for egg. It’s 2 tsp ground chia to 3 tbsp warm water. Let sit for 5 minutes. Good luck!

Gina C.

These look so good! Do it re: the hair. Otherwise you’ll always wonder….and it’s not like you’re giving away your first born or anything. It grows back!

Well, when you put it like that… haha great way to look at it, Gina!

Kerrin

Love the hair idea! You only live once and it is only hair. It will grow back. That do with your ink…very cool look!

Dayanna

This recipe looks mighty tasty! And so versatile! And whoa ~ flax milk!? Where ever did you find that!!! Crazy bananas that’s exciting!

As for the skillex cut ~ I say what ever floats your boat. Hard to give an honest opinion – so many variables (your style, job/work, how you generally wear your hair.. Is it thick, curly, thin, etc.) I know for me I could never rock this do b/c growing it out would be killer as I have super curly thick hair.
You seem like have a pretty fun and funky attitude towards your style – I saw rock it!
And when you do rock out to this song

Avicii – levels (skillex remix)

First, I absolutely LOVE that you linked to this song! The flax milk is pretty crazy, I know. I picked it up at Superstore.

raechel @the rebel grrl kitchen

Thank you for this perfect (and vegan friendly!) recipe! So brilliant!

And YES to the side-shave! Yes yes yes! (#edgy style support from your fellow tattooed food blogger) ; )

Jen Daniels

I try not to use rolled oats as they are more processed than steel cut. Can you use this recipe with cooked steel cut oats? Thanks so much!!

Hi Jen, I’m not sure if you could as I’ve never tried to bake with steel cut oats but managed to find this recipe for a steel cut baked oatmeal http://beef4breakfast.wordpress.com/2011/03/07/incredible-baked-oatmeal-steel-cut-oats/ I bet if you used the same ratio of liquids to oats and incorporated some of the ingredients in my recipe, it may work! Sorry I can’t be of more help. If you do give it a try, I’d love to hear about how it worked out for you!

Frugal Jen | Frugal, Freebies and Deals

lol.. a no vote on the side shave.. but I will still read your blog if you do it ;)

jenetta

what katie's baking

hahahah that’s so funny that you put your oranges in his omelette.
this is such a great breakfast idea! you make it look so appetizing.

Brittany (Eating Bird Food)

I love this idea for baked oatmeal and the photos are beautiful!

Oh, I am going to make these tomorrow for my husband and I. He is trying to eat less processed cereals and this might do the trick!

How do you make your own non-dairy milk at home? I tried a recipe last year for at home almond milk and it was expensive and did not yield a lot. Do you have a recipe that you wouldn’t mind sharing? Also, how long does homemade last?

Hey Andrea, I’m working on a couple of recipes now. I’ll for sure share them when I’ve mastered the process! None of them are nut milks though. I have a pumpkin seed, sesame seed and flax seed that I’m working on. They last about 3 days in the fridge so I’ve only been making small batches.

Oh, those sound delicious!!! I cannot wait. I am especially interested in the pumpkin seed!

Mel

I will so be making these! As for the side shave, I think you could totally rock it!! I know a girl who just did it and it looks so good! She had it done so that her grandmother wouldn’t freak when she saw it, so she had it shaved so she could just pull her hair down over it when she was with her grandma to hide it! Very tricky:) I guess you could do that too incase you were scared you wouldn’t like it!

Jane

haha that is funny about oranges in the omelette! Last night I was making kombucha, and getting my lunch ready, and I almost put hot sauce in the kombucha! Luckily I caught myself in time – that would not have been fun! Unfortunately I can’t do oats, but I am interested in the flax milk!

haha that would have been one gross batch of kombucha! I really need to start making that stuff. I’m going to try to make these muffins with quinoa and buckwheat flakes… we’ll see how it goes!

Beth @ Tasty Yummies

As a lady that is currently rocking the side shave – I SAY GO FOR IT! Who cares what anyone else thinks, if you like it, then rock it. If other people don’t like it, then they don’t have to shave their own heads :) (I say all of that in a loving and nonjudgmental way, I swear, haha)

I had my hair cut short on one side for a few years, since I like having asymmetrical cuts to give my flat, thin, straight hair some personality, and I finally decided to go for it last summer after seeing a chick rock it in San Fran. Anyhow, I haven’t regretted it once since I did it. Some people love it, some people give me major stink eye, but it could also be that both of my arms are sleeved in tattoos :)

Anyhow, you will look incredible and you will feel so good! Only down side, that I am now experiencing is the grow out, fluffy head FTW!

You are awesome. I’m pretty sure we’d be best buds if you lived closer. I didn’t know you had full sleeves. What of? Yes, the fluffy head… I’m sure you can rock even that!

Beth @ Tasty Yummies

:) Agreed, I think we most certainly would be besties. Stupid geography ;)
Yup 3/4 sleeves on both arms, both are Asian inspired, one is a few big peony flowers, with some cherry blossoms, clouds and wind the other is a peacock with water and rocks.

Wow, that sounds amazing. I’ve been dreaming of sleeves for years now, just can’t commit to spending that much right now! Was going to ask you… the clothes you had in your booth, where do I go to buy those? Do you have an online store? I love them all so much!

Jen Fisher

Hi Leanne–I found your blog through Foodgawker. I am allergic to dairy, and my husband is gluten free, so your recipes really work for us! I have one question about these (and a lot of other vegan recipes I’ve found)–is there a suitable substitute for the banana, or is it necessary for the recipe to work? I am allergic to them, even in baked goods, but I would love to make these cups for our breakfasts.

Thanks!

Hi Jen, I’m happy you found me! Sounds like our eating styles are very, very similar. When I was banana-free (thought I was allergic) I replaced mashed banana with apple sauce and it always turned out just fine. I’m sure you could do the same with this recipe, or you could try 1/4 cup of nut or seed butter. That would work really well too, I think!

Jen Fisher

Thanks so much, Leanne! I’m going to try these out this weekend!

Courtney

Leanne,
I can’t wait to make these! I need to spice up my take-along breakfasts. Is there a suitable substitute for milled flax seeds? Another flour maybe?

Sure thing, you could try wheat germ if you’re not gluten-free, oat bran, ground chia (although I’d do just 1 tbsp), almond flour, ground cashews, ground sunflower seeds… hope that helps!

Courtney

Yes, it did, thank you! I used almond flour. I made a dozen tonight and followed your example of splitting them into four flavors. Instead of additions sprinkled on top I mixed them in: strawberry almond, pumpkin pie, carrot cake and peanut butter chocolate chip. I can’t wait for breakfast!

That’s great! I love the idea of mixing them in. If you follow HP on Facebook, feel free to share pictures of your creation on the page! They sound great, pumpkin pie… mm!

Catching up on your last couple of blog posts and I can’t wait to see what you decide for your haircut! I am alwayssss in a hair rut and would love to do something crazy like that! :) I say you should go for it!

And, oranges in an omelet? Hmm, kind of intrigued, but kind of grossed out ;)

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers

I saw this on Pintrest and what a great idea! It’s getting to late to bake, but I plan on making these tomorrow! What a great breakfast!! I love all the toppings!!!

Mei

These look amazing! I’ve been trying to find easy breakfasts I can make in advance! Is there a difference between ground flaxseed and milled flaxseed? Because I have a bag of ground flaxseed, but I don’t want to go out a find milled flaxseed if it’s easily substitutable.

Ground or milled, it’ll do the trick! Enjoy :)

Maya

Mmm wonderful! These are baking up as we speak! I’ve been looking for an alternative to an oatmeal muffin when Im on the go (I felt flour that time of the morning was unnecessary). These are perfect! Can’t wait to try one :) thanks for sharing <3

Laura

I made these today and they came out really good except the inside is a little soft/wet still (,maybe too much apple sauce?) is that normal? Thanks.

Hi Laura – did you deviate from the recipe at all? The consistency isn’t going to be like muffins, the oatmeal will be a bit softer on the inside as it is baked oatmeal in a cup. Ours were a bit moist on the inside as you’d experience with baked oatmeal, but not overly so. I hope that helps!

Lenni

These look so yummy! Quick question for you though: I’m super allergic to bananas and was wondering if you had any suggestions for substitutions for them in your recipes?
Thanks!

Hi Lenni – most of my recipes that use bananas to hold things together (as in this recipe) you could get away with using pumpkin or apple sauce instead. Hope that helps!

Brooke

I was in one of my baking moods like always at 10 o’clock at night. lol. So i ran across my friends pintrest and the picture of Baked Oatmeal cups. I fell in love right there. I love healthy things, that look delicious and taste even better, so i looked up your reciepe and netherless there in the oven…
To be continued…

Kathy

I made these and they didn’t look quite like yours but they were delicious! Thanks for the recipe! Briefly blogged and linked here: http://seefooddieter.blogspot.com/2012/09/catch-up-time.html

That’s great! They look fantastic… and there’s nothing wrong with reaching for the stars ;)

cat

I need to know. Did you ever do the do?

I sure did!

cat

Are there photos on here somewhere??? I hope you like(d) it! I wanna see!

There’s one on Facebook: http://sphotos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/s720x720/552815_418360978189928_1640602914_n.jpg I posted one on the blog, but I can’t remember which post.

Cat

Yep – that’s the photo and it looks great on you … and you look pretty happy. Thanks for sending the link. Now I’ll be able to sleep better without wondering. :-)

Well, I hope you sleep well :) lol! Thanks, Cat.

sarolabelle

Okay so these are in the oven right now. Didn’t have bananas so no bananas, used a little less milk (1 cup instead of 1 and 1/4, didn’t put any baking powder because I forgot and I used honey instead of maple syrup…

I am expecting hard, dry, unsweet, strange oatmeal cups….haha….update to come in 20 minutes…..

sarolabelle

okay so as expected the little cup fell apart (no bananas!), they didn’t rise (no baking powder), they were not very sweet (no maple syrup). But there is use for what I made – a topping for the 4 ingredient Raw Lemon pudding (http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/2011/09/4-ingredient-raw-lemon-pudding/)!

haha thanks for making me giggle. Hey, as long as it tasted good, doesn’t matter how it looked. Great idea topping lemon pudding with oats. I’ll definitely have to give that a go :)

Mary-Jayne Walker

Mine are baking in the over and I can’t wait to try them! Any ideas for how to store them for the work week? Should I put them in the fridge.

Hi Mary! Yes, it’s best to keep them in the fridge. They also freeze really well, too!