Pictures like this make me miss home, and my kitchen.
There’s something to be said for being able to mosey on down to your kitchen and create whatever tickles your fancy.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m having a great time in London; there are so many amazing shops, great energy, and tasty food to be had, but I miss my kitchen.
Kitchen or no kitchen, I’ve enjoyed some great eats during my trip. In fact, I’m eating more balanced now than I do at home!
My favorite has been going to Whole Foods for dinner. They have such a great selection of freshly made food. Last nights dinner was roasted butternut squash and eggplant. Deeelicious.
So while I may not have been able to whip up a quick batch of grain-free cupcakes yesterday when the mood struck, I can definitely say that I’m not starving to death… which is always a fear of mine when I travel.
But on to parfaits – these are awesome.
What else can I say about them…
- Freeze well – prepare, throw in the freezer, and microwave when ready to enjoy!
- High in fiber
- Super filling
- Could be eaten for breakfast, lunch, or dinner… or snack… or dessert (heh)
- They’re pretty lookin’… well, they are, aren’t they?
I got to enjoy a couple of helpings before I placed the leftovers in the freezer for safe keeping while I’m away. You better believe I’ll be cracking into the stash on Friday morning!
Pumpkin Gingersnap Chia Parfaits
Vegan, Gluten free, Dairy free, Refined sugar free, Yeast free, Corn free
These pumpkin and gingerbread parfaits capture all the tastes of Fall! They’re filling, high in fiber, and low in refined sugars.
Yield: 4 cups
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tbsp blackstrap molasses
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp all spice
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 cups non-dairy milk – I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 2 tbsp pecans or walnuts, chopped
- 2 tbsp raisins – they do the sweetening!
- 4 gluten-free + vegan gingersnap cookies, crumbled
To be made the night before you plan on eating it, or at least 4 hours in advance:
- Combine all ingredients but crumbled cookies in a large tupperware container. Mix with a spoon until incorporated.
- Seal container and keep in the fridge overnight.
- When complete, portion out into 4 parfait style cups, or bowls and crumble 1 cookie over top each parfait. You can also put some of the crumbled cookie at the halfway point as I did.
What’s one thing that you miss when you’re traveling abroad?