Pumpkin Gingersnap Chia Breakfast Parfaits

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on November 22, 2011

Pictures like this make me miss home, and my kitchen.

There’s something to be said for being able to mosey on down to your kitchen and create whatever tickles your fancy.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m having a great time in London; there are so many amazing shops, great energy, and tasty food to be had, but I miss my kitchen.

Kitchen or no kitchen, I’ve enjoyed some great eats during my trip. In fact, I’m eating more balanced now than I do at home!

My favorite has been going to Whole Foods for dinner. They have such a great selection of freshly made food. Last nights dinner was roasted butternut squash and eggplant. Deeelicious.

So while I may not have been able to whip up a quick batch of grain-free cupcakes yesterday when the mood struck, I can definitely say that I’m not starving to death… which is always a fear of mine when I travel.

But on to parfaits – these are awesome.

What else can I say about them…

• Freeze well – prepare, throw in the freezer, and microwave when ready to enjoy!
  • High in fiber
  • Super filling
  • Could be eaten for breakfast, lunch, or dinner… or snack… or dessert (heh)
  • They’re pretty lookin’… well, they are, aren’t they?

I got to enjoy a couple of helpings before I placed the leftovers in the freezer for safe keeping while I’m away. You better believe I’ll be cracking into the stash on Friday morning!

[print_this]

Pumpkin Gingersnap Chia Parfaits

Vegan, Gluten free, Dairy free, Refined sugar free, Yeast free, Corn free

These pumpkin and gingerbread parfaits capture all the tastes of Fall! They’re filling, high in fiber, and low in refined sugars.

Yield: 4 cups

Servings: 4

• 1 cup canned pumpkin
  • 1/4 cup chia seeds
  • 2 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
  • 1 tbsp blackstrap molasses
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp all spice
  • 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 2 cups non-dairy milk – I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk
  • 2 tbsp pecans or walnuts, chopped
  • 2 tbsp raisins – they do the sweetening!
  • 4 gluten-free + vegan gingersnap cookies, crumbled

To be made the night before you plan on eating it, or at least 4 hours in advance:

1. Combine all ingredients but crumbled cookies in a large tupperware container. Mix with a spoon until incorporated.
  2. Seal container and keep in the fridge overnight.
  3. When complete, portion out into 4 parfait style cups, or bowls and crumble 1 cookie over top each parfait. You can also put some of the crumbled cookie at the halfway point as I did.
  4. Serve!

View nutrition info

[/print_this]

What’s one thing that you miss when you’re traveling abroad?

Ive had ginger snaps and molasses on my brain for a few days….THIS will satisfy my cravings!

Jaenell Ott

Hello Leanne!
Is it possible to substitute flax seeds for chai seeds in recipes such as this one? I know that flax seeds/meal also gel…

Thanks! Have a fabulous time in London. :)

I’ve never tried it, but I don’t see why not! If you give it a try, let me know how it turns out!

LizAshlee

This looks delicious…I luv parfaits!! :)

I have the same worries as you when traveling Leanne – mainly that I’m not going to be able to find enough healthy fare, especially fruits and veggies. You’re so lucky that you’ve got a Whole Foods so nearby in London. I’d happily eat every meal there without being bored! Like you, I also start missing my kitchen a lot when I’m away. However, I’ve noticed that it makes that first meal back taste so much better!

I just roasted and pureed a huge pumpkin – plenty to make these with! Thanks for the idea. It’s an acceptable Thanksgiving breakfast, right?!

Mmm perfect! Heck yes, breakfast for sure :)

Mmm these look sooo delectable :) I will never get sick of pumpkin! Plus the pumpkin + gingersnap combo is heaven in my mouth.

Carolyn @ HealthKitten.com

Glad you’re having such a good time in London! Just think, when you get back home, your kitchen will seem the most awesome place in the world and you’ll be energized to make more new recipes!

I’m going to have to try this for breakfast Thanksgiving morning before I go run the “Turkey Trot” 5k!

Turkey trot, how fun! Have a great time, Carolyn! I think this would be a perfect pre-race meal!

Carin

These sound so delis! And, I have all the ingredients except the gingersnap cookies. Could you name a specific brand of cookie that would be yummy?

Enjoy London!

Hi Carin – you could try snickler doodles they might be good. Enjoy life makes a good one!

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles

I love chia pudding, and this one looks so seasonal. Can’t wait to try it out, I bought gingersnaps for a pie crust!

Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie)

Love the pumpkin parfait! I need some gingersnap cookies asap! :D

Amanda

I never thought of chia seeds with pumpkin and I love molasses :) Yum, can’t wait to try this. Mmmmm

bird

Since you are in London, you need to check out Inspiral Lounge, if you haven’t allready.
I love it, and I love the people who work there to. They are so helpfull and good. :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen)

My kids! When Tony and I were in France for 10 days, I missed the heck out of my kids…then my kitchen. These look amazing! Perfect fall flavors. I’ve been loving on some chia peanut butter puddings like crazy lately. They are addictive!

Kathy

Something I miss when traveling abroad is my kitchen! And the ingredients IN my kitchen!
I was offered to go to Vietnam this year (for partially free; my aunt was going to give in 1/3 or 1/2 of the money, the other 2/3 or 1/2, my dad was to pay). Although it would’ve been great for my photography, I thought about my kitchen and all the recipes I could’ve tried or made and I declined! No regrets, oddly enough.

You gotta do what’s right for you! And honestly, as nice as London has been, I don’t go looking to leave my home for long stints… I like being at home around the ones I love, so I see nothing wrong with declining Vietnam :)

Jefife

ah!! these look amazing.

Jocelyn @ Peace Love Nutrition

Looks amazing! I’m making this for my boyfriend this weekend

Cara

I’ve just gotten into chia seeds and never knew I could freeze my chia puddings. Thanks for the tip!

Amber

Hey so I made these minus the blackstrap because I didn’t have any in the house. They seem to be a bit soupy. They were in the fridge for 7 hours before I tried them. I triple checked everything. Are they suppose to be like this? If not, what could have gone wrong?

Hi Amber – did you make the chia pudding part? Or the whole thing? It could be the quality of the canned pumpkin. Was it very thick? Or, the quality of the chia seeds. Odd that it was soupy even after 7 hours. The chia should have soaked up a lot of the moisture.

Amber

Thanks Leanne. If by chia pudding you mean just adding the 2 tbsp of chia seeds…I did that! I even added a little extra pumpkin so I have no idea how this happened. I will try again….but do you have any ideas for how to thicken this batch so I don’t waste all of my yummy ingredients? I was thinking I would add some more chia and maybe a half cup more of pumpkin?

Chia will help to soak up the liquids so yes, go ahead and add a bit more so that you don’t have to toss the batch! If it’s really soupy, you should be able to go with another 2 tbsp. If the pumpkin was thick, yes, add a bit more of that as well. I’ve made this recipe countless times and never had an issue. Perhaps next time, start with 1 cup of almond milk instead of 2 and see how that goes for you. You can always add more pumpkin later if you need it.

Chelsea

Hi Leanne,

I had the same issue as Amber. I made these last night, but I 2.5x the recipe because I am serving a family brunch today for my mother and mother-in-law’s birthdays. Mine are quite soupy, too, and I double and tripled checked my math for the recipe. I’ll try adding more pumpkin and chia seeds and see if that helps. Could I have overmixed it?

Hi Chelsea – I think it has to do with the quality of the pumpkin puree and chia seeds. Did you leave the mixture to sit overnight? The pumpkin puree that I used was quite solid at the beginning. Also, if it’s still soupy you could add more chia to have it soak up the liquids. I’m planning to remake the recipe this morning and adjust it if need be.