Healthy Charms Cereal with 4 Flavor Variations

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on October 18, 2011

Do you ever buy a product at the grocery store and think man I could totally make this at home and save a bunch of money?

That happens a lot around here.

Like the day I found out we could raise chickens in our backyard. Note: before entertaining the idea, make sure your dog doesn’t like causing bodily harm to innocent chickens.

Rough and tough dog, right here:

Or the time I attempted to recreate Kevin’s favorite chocolate soy pudding. Caution: if your boyfriend is deathly afraid of dried fruit, do not tell him that you used dates in the recipe after he’s enjoyed his first bowl. Just let it be. Only you have to know what the secret ingredient is.

He may never trust me again.

Or when I tried my hand at making rice wraps… which resulted in me spending the afternoon peeling pieces of rice flour dough from the kitchen ceiling.

Although there may not be chicken coups in my future, there will be lots and lots of healthy (and cheap) cereal!

The cereal I’ve recreated – Enjoy Life Crunchy Flax cereal.

The crunch, the slightly toasted grain, the benefits of sorghum on my digestive system, the fiber… it’s just all there. The only downside is that it’s $8.00 a box and each box is ~5 servings.

This is a major problem for a girl that likes 1 bowl/day.

Well, not anymore my friends, not anymore.

Now I can have 4 bowls a day for the cost of 15 bowls of the store-bought kind. Not like I would ever dedicate an entire day to cereal eating. Pfft. Who does that?

And, the best part? I can make them into cool shapes. Ya, I know what you’re thinking… awesome.

You know what else is awesome? You can choose what flavor you want! 4 different flavors?! Aaaand I’ve tried them all.

[print_this]

Healthy Charms Cereal

Vegan (option), Gluten free, Dairy free, Refined sugar free, Yeast free, Corn free

Making your own gluten-free, vegan, high fiber cereal is fun to eat and ends up being easier on your wallet!

Yield: 204g

Servings: 4

Inspired by: Enjoy Life Crunchy Flax cereal

Go au naturale:

• 1 1/2 cup water
  • 2 tbsp raisins
  • 1 tbsp honey or agave nectar *see note
  • 1 cup sorghum flour
  • 1/4 cup ground flax seed
  • 1/4 tsp Himalayan rock salt

Or choose your favorite flavor:

1. maple – replace the honey/agave and 1 tbsp water with 2 tbsp maple syrup
  2. cinnamon – sprinkle with cinnamon before baking
  3. vanilla – replace 1 tbsp of water with 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract

1. Preheat oven to 375F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper so that the paper is over the edges and set aside.
  2. Place water, raisins, and honey in the bowl of your food processor or blender and process until smooth. Pour into a large bowl and combine with remaining ingredients.
  3. Pour batter onto prepared sheet and spread evenly. The key to the cereal’s success is going to be to spread the batter as evenly as possible to ensure even cooking.
  4. Bake for 20 minutes, until edges begin to brown and cracks are seen in the batter.
  5. Take out of the oven and remove the parchment. Cut the dough into shapes or tiny squares. I used a set similar to this one, or you could do a Christmas themed cereal!
  6. Spread the pieces back onto the parchment paper free baking sheet and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes for cut out shapes and 10-15 for larger squares, turning at least once.  Cereal should be crisp and crunchy.

note: use agave nectar instead of honey to keep this recipe vegan.

calories: 185 | fat: 3.5g | carbohydrate: 36g | fiber: 5g | sugars: 7g | protein: 6g

Compared to the same amount of crunchy flax:

calories: 200 | fat: 3g | carbohydrate: 42g | fiber: 6g | sugars: 2g | protein: 7g

[/print_this]

No matter how much I tried to manipulate this recipe, I couldn’t get the fiber to increase to 6 grams. I really think they use a portion of the outer shell of flax seed. But pretty darn close, right?

You can control the thickness of the cereal by how much you spread the batter out. I liked mine a bit on the thicker side which resulted in a bit of a softer cereal, but Kevin liked his thin and crunchy.

PS: he didn’t know there were raisins in this. Gosh, I hope he doesn’t read today’s post.

PSS: have you entered my latest giveaway? A chance to win one of two prizes of 50 snack sized bags of Beanitos corn-free chips? If not, you should.

OMG Leanne, if I wasn’t about to go and hop on a plane I’d be making this for breakfast! It sounds awesome… I’m all over the vanilla one! :) Have a wonderful day!

It’ll be here when you get back! Enjoy your trip, Angela :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey

This is so neat! I will definitely be trying this – so many great cereals have corn in them, which is something I can’t have!

That darn corn hides in everything, huh? I’m in the same boat.

Wow, Leanne, this looks sooooo good! You are so creative, I am soooo impressed.

Kevin and the dried fruit, it only has to be your secret, not his too…LOL

And your dog is about the cutest lil peanut ever!!

oh yes, I definitely learned NOT to ever tell him that there is dried fruit in anything. I’m so determined to rid him of his fear of it. It’s the strangest thing… how could you hate raisins, or craisins, or *gasp* dates?! But I love him anyways haha

Aine @ Something to Chew Over

I’d definitely try the cinnamon version of these! Can’t get enough cinnamon :)

Heather Brandt

Any sub for sorghum flour since my son is now grain-free? Quinoa flour or buckwheat flour or nut flour?

I haven’t tried this recipe with those flours, but I bet buckwheat or nut flour would work. Chickpea flour should also work. You may have to adjust the liquids. Best of luck!

Marla

OMG, Leanne – I love this homemade cereal. Gonna FB this link right now!

Thanks Marla :)

Sally

I love the cute little shapes of the cereal. And the cute little dog :)

This is so creative! I have never thought to make my own cereal. I’ve also never used sorghum flour. I will be doing both now! :)

Arielle (Your Vegan Girlfriend)

OMG I LOVE this idea! SO inventive and so neccesarry. Lucy Charms used to be my favorite (especially picking out the marshies) but everything sounds perfect in this recipe. No need for pickin!

Marshies, hehe love the name! That was my favorite part, too!

Carolyn @ HealthKitten.com

I’m lucky that my breakfast cereal of choice – Heritage Flakes – are pretty inexpensive, so I’m not sure if I’ll try this. However, you inspired me to add dried fruit to the flakes! :)

Carissa

That looks super yummy! I’ve never tried the original bought cereal, but I think I’ll try this. Except mine will be in squares because no way do I have the patience to cut little shapes. I tried that once when I made goldfish crackers. Halfway through I started cutting squares instead. :-)

Ya I shifted to squares about 2 batches in. The first time I was like “man, this is so therapeutic and good for the soul” third time was NOT like that at all :P

Hahaha I would love to hear the chicken story!

This cereal looks very yummy! & I made your sleepy banana muffin smoothie for breakfast this morning and it was sooo satisfying! Mine didn’t thicken up in the fridge overnight though, so I didn’t need to add the extra milk this morning. I’ll definately be trying some of your other sleepy smoothies this week! The lemon poppyseed looks like it might be next :) In the recipe you say to use a whole lemon rind… are you referring to the zest of the lemon? Thanks Leanne!

Wow, I should not have said whole lemon rind! I’ll be sure to fix that. It should be the zest from 1 lemon. Good eye!

I figured but was just making sure ;) Thanks!

Faith @ For the Health of It

whoa whoa whoa, $8 for a box of cereal? That’s insane..especially in my house, where cereal eating is an olympic sport! And your version is so much prettier!

This is so incredibly brilliant! BOOKMARK!

katie @KatieDid

LOVE this idea… definitely definitely want to give something like this a try.. I hate the high price of GF cereals so I pretty much gave up on them!

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles

The idea of homemade cereal is fantastic! Do you think I could use ground millet as a sorghum sub?

Hmm millet flour should work. You may have to play around with the liquid a touch. Maybe decrease by a couple tablespoons :)

Allie

This looks so good! I love cereal but never buy it, ’cause even the cheap and unhealthy stuff is so expensive! It’s hard to deviate from my insanely cheap oatmeal, but this looks like a tasty alternative, plus I’d love to be able to say I’ve made my own cereal :D

Ya, you really can’t beat oats! Except for if you’re an oat ingredient adder like me. Next thing I know my simple bowl of oats has more toppings than it does oats! Sheesh!

Heather @Gluten-Free Cat

So you have to be one of the most adorable food bloggers ever! What a fabulous cereal!

Aw, thanks Heather!

Kris | iheartwellness.com

How freaking gorgeous are these??? OMG!! You are a health food genius! Love it!

I’m going to make these and make them like the cinnamon toast crunch I used to die over..swoon!

xxoo

Mmm yes. Combining the maple + cinnamon flavor was my favorite too :)

Divya

This is an awesome idea -you’re so creative! I can so see my myself making this for the Christmas season with the Christmasy shapes. It will be super cute snack for the kids in the family!

Beth @ Tasty Yummies

These photos are so beautiful. I love all the colors. I also love the idea of making your own cereal. Beyond granola, I have never really thought about it.. Hmmm so many possibilities! Great post.

Wow, that means so much to me coming from you, Beth! I remember looking at your blog before I’d even begun mine, swooning at your amazing photography + design skills. You’re the master!

Meg (A Dash of Meg)

WOW amazing creation! I always think that when I buy something packaged, but have definitely never made something this amazing!

Simone (simplehealthyhomemade)

OH Wow, that looks amazing! Can’t wait to have time to try this. Lately I am all about quick and easy (and obviously) tasty
I have to try the twice baking on one of my failed gluten free cracker attempts ;)

Ali

great post Leanne. Great idea coming up with the healthy charm, its a perfect substitute for the regular store cereals :) love the photos and your dog is so cute.

Kathryn

Do you think that wheat flour would work for these? I’m not gluten free, so I usually only have whole wheat :p

Hi Kathryn, I haven’t cooked with whole wheat flours in a very, very long time, so I can’t be certain. That’s not to say it won’t work though! What you’re looking for is a relatively thin batter. Just slighly thicker than pancakes. If you can get that consistency by playing around with the amount of water, you should be well on your way!

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli

Oh my gosh, you’re BRILLIANT!! I love this idea…and the name is so cute!!

michelle

My husband is the same way as kevin about dried fruit but with mushrooms. Little does he know that I sneak them into veggie burgers, falafels, soup, stews and anything else I can think of. My bucket list definitely includes owning my own chickens one day :)

haha perfect. I’m happy to know I’m not the only one :) What they don’t know wont hurt them!

Kathy

Inventive!!

If you don’t have sorghum flour, can you use spelt or whole wheat or even buckwheat four? I’d love to try this recipe out :]

Thanks Kathy! I’m sure buckwheat flour would work… I haven’t baked with spelt or whole wheat in a very, very long time, so I’m not sure how it would turn out. Chickpea flour should also work :)

Deanna

Oooo – the kiddo JUST discovered this cereal. (It was on a crazy sale. AND I had a coupon.) And 5 servings in a box? For an 8 year old in a growth spurt? I think not. ;)

So, happy you figured out a recipe. I’m going to have to make triple and quadruple batches for him. Yep, that’s what I’m going to have to do.

Ow wow, ya… more like 2 servings if you’re lucky. I’m so happy I’m done with my growth spurt days. So expensive!

Lindsay

I made this tonight and subbed prunes for the raisins. That should increase the fiber content! It did take me a much longer time to bake, I don’t recall the final bake time, I just kept checking on it. Very excited to have this for breakfast tomorrow!

Carrie

This post just made my day! We have some major food issues in my family and I’ve wanted to attempt homemade cereal but just haven’t found the right recipe to alter yet – haha…. I can’t ever use a recipe as is, we have so many food troubles :/ … We can’t do raisins (salicylate sensitivty) … do you think dried pears would work?!

Carrie

Oh one more question… do you think this would freeze?! Having two little ones (4 and 2 yrs old) … and already having to make everything from scratch it would be nice to make a big batch and freeze it.

Cammie

Do you think almond flour would work in this?? I am gluten free and almond flour is my favorite substitute for wheat flour- also the only thing I have on hand right now :)

Thanks!

Hi Cammie – I haven’t tried this recipe with almond flour.. so I’m not sure. Generally speaking, it does act a bit different than the flours I used in this recipe. If you give it a try, let us know how it turned out!