Pumpkin Spice Smoothie

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on September 22, 2011

Oh heavenly orange squash that marks the first day of Fall, how I’ve missed your versatility.

Pumpkins are filled with complex carbohydrates, fiber, anti-oxidants, and vitamin A… but I’ve been avoiding them.

I blame it on end-of-summer-denial syndrome. Yes, it’s something many of us struggle with *tear*

But in an effort to keep up with the times, I’ve packed up the patio furniture, changed out my closet, and bought me some pumpkin.

Fall, I’m ready for you.

This week…

I’ve enjoyed my fair share of pumpkin pie quinoa breakfast bake (for dinner),

filled my afternoon with slivers of pumpkin raspberry buckwheat bakes,

and sipped on pumpkin spice smoothies while catching up on my emails in the morning.

Oh yessss….

print, email or text this recipe

4.1 from 12 reviews

Pumpkin Spice Smoothie
Author:
Prep time:
Total time:
Serves: 2 cups, 1 serving

This smoothie is creamy and light. Not only will it add extra fiber to your day, but having pumpkin in the morning will keep you fuller, longer!
Instructions
  1. Place everything but whipped topping in the blender.
  2. Blend until smooth
  3. Pour into your favorite glass and place a couple tablespoons of coconut whipped cream on top.
  4. Sprinkle with cinnamon if you’d like!
Notes
Sweetness – this smoothie is not overly sweet. If you would like to sweeten, add maple syrup instead of the raisins. Or use sweetened non-dairy milk.

Check out some other healthy snacks ideas.

And, what’s your favorite pumpkin recipe?

I have 10 cans of pumpkin to get through and could really use your help. I’m such a sucker for a good sale.

Caroline @ chocolate and carrots

This looks incredible! I’m very ready for fall, so this is the perfect transition treat! :-)

Lauren @ Healthy Food For Living

I’m all about pumpkin, and this smoothie has my name written all over it ;). I also MUST make that pumpkin pie quinoa breakfast bake!

Omg it’s gorgeous!

If every food site doesn’t take this recipe, I will personally walk to Canada for one of these :)

The recipe, the photography…truly a gem!

Pumpkins, glass straw, glass mug, leaves…all these little touches: I Notice Them! Great work!!!!!

Great-looking header! And I love the new “profile” pic.

Glad to see your aren’t affected by the pumpkin shortage I mentioned yesterday. The smoothie looks great! :)

Cara

Such pretty pictures! I am pretty much a pumpkin fanatic, still have over a case of cans purchased last year, so I’ve been indulging quite a bit :) What a great smoothie!

Kristin @ eat healthy. be happy. live well.

Love the new header! Love the pics with the pumpkins- so cute!! Love the recipe! :)

Yum Yum Yum! Me love pumpkin :D Will have to try this! Maybe I’ll use a frozen banana just cuz I have a whole bunch of them sitting in the freezer…and it will make it thick!

I love making my grain-free pumpkin bread, Bitter Chocolate Cake For One, Power Brownies, Grain-Free Pumpkin Pancakes-and a new recipe I will be announcing soon! LOVE pumpkin!

And OHMYGOODNESS GRACIOUS!!! I love the new header! And your picture you put up a few days ago is great, too :D love it!

Holly @ The Runny Egg

I love your new header — beautiful, crisp and clean! Very nice.

Pumpkin — honestly I love things like pumpkin bread, muffins, but the best is pumpkin pie :)

Yolanda

I made this just now before I take off on a 10-15 mole bike ride and added 1/3 c of raw oatmeal as well. I didn’t hace organic cloves or allspice so I added cardamon. It is delish! Vert light like a pudding souffle. :-)

Cara

I am definitely going to be trying the Pumpkin Pie Quinoa Breakfast Bake. That looks so good! Love all your creative ideas, Leanne :)

Lisa ♥ Healthful Sense

Just gorgeous and delicious!! I LOVE pumpkin anything =) I have a pumpkin smoothie that I’ve been making lately and I just can’t get enough… can’t wait to try this version <3

Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie)

How perfect for fall! I’ve never made a pumpkin smoothie before, it looks delicious :D

Robyn

Yum! I love your smoothie recipes. I’m so excited for fall because of pumpkins, squash, and sweet potatoes. I made pumpkin oatmeal last weekend using almond milk and many of the spices you have listed in your smoothie, and I’m going to make pumpkin polenta tonight topped with white beans and cooked spinach and onions.

Your pumpkin polenta sounds amazing!

Yolanda

I totally agree with Leanne. Would you share the recipe?

xrogersh@pld.com

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles

Love the header! And the recipe. I have a bunch of pumpkin to go through too. I used to be a sucker for pumpkin spice lattes but I’m not much by way of caffeine. This will totally be my replacement! And your photos are absolutely gorgeous.

Molly@hungryhungryrunner.com

This looks like HEAVEN! One of my favorite things about fall is the return of all of the pumpkin! I’m a total sucker for pumpkin spice lattes AND am in need of a new smoothie recipe so this is perfect! Thanks for sharing! :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen)

Seriously, I would be at your house in 10 seconds if you were serving all of that to me! Pumpkin is a weakness of mine. I have to ration myself or I go in waaaayyy too deep. I had to cut back since I was a little too orange at one point. My favorite pumpkin treat is muffins. They are the perfect way to enjoy the perfect treat of the fall season!

Carissa

That looks sooooo good! I can’t wait to try it. I just pureed a pumpkin so I have tons to work my way through. Oh darn… :-)

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather

I wish I had 10 cans of pumpkin in my pantry!! This looks like delicious morning goodness. I’m making pumpkin lasagna this weekend… Bring on the pumpkin!

Alaina Rose @ Sweetness Of Life

I was about to say…woah, where have I been?! I didn’t even notice your new header and photo! I’m glad it’s new and I’m not super behind. I love the header! It’s simple and beautiful. And you are SO gorgeously glowing and smiley in your new photo. I love it all! Including the delicious pumpkin recipes. :-) The pumpkin spice smoothie looks especially tasty. I’m tucking that recipe away to make some day very soon. Lots of love to you Leanne!

Andrea @ Vegvacious

Oh how I love all the pumpkin recipes that have been popping in bloggieland this week!!! I love me a good pumpkin spice latte from Starbucks and can’t wait to try this chilled version!

liz

yum! pumpkin is totally creeping up on us, and i say welcome!
this looks like a lovely smoothie, can’t wait to try it!
here is my favorite pumpkin recipe, pumpkin pancakes:

brooke

Leanne!!
I have got to be one of your biggest fans and I am always making your yummy recipes!! I ran out tonight for a can of pumpkin and whipped up this smoothie- deelish!!

I’m so happy to hear you liked it!

Tracy @ Commit To Fit

Yes, yes and yes!

Katie

Yum! I LOVE pumpkin! So glad it is fall again! Your smoothie looks yummy!

Irene @ H.V.R.

Thirst quenching! I love the feeling of smoothie in my mouth. My taste buds go crazy over it!

Jenna

I’ve never tried a pumpkin smoothie before. This looks delicious!

Alison @ Ingredients, Inc.

This looks so good!

Happy When Not Hungry

Wow this smoothie looks amazing! Love your fall photos too!

Sarah

Oh my goodness. Yes, please.

Christine

Yum! Every picture in this post is making me drool! I can’t wait to shop this weekend and pick up some pumpkin. :-)

I love the new header and pic! Have a great weekend!

Erin

Sounds like liquified pumpkin pie and I love it!

Oh my gosh, that’s exactly what it is!

Katie

I am a pumpkin freak! I’m definitely bookmarking this. Looks delicious!

My Fudo

Fabulous! that’s one of the finest pumpkin smoothie I’ve ever seen. Looks so rich and creamy. I love it.

Liz @ Southern Charm

This. sounds. and. look. so. GOOD!!!!! haha. I think I’m really really excited to try this out!

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love.

Um, yeah. Saving this one. Gotta make it!

leslie

That looks absolutely wonderful! Could be a lovely sub for those awful but delicious pumpkin spice lattes I’m determined to give up!

Anastasia

I love this recipe! Tried it today with boiled pumpkin, instead of the canned one and added a bit of agave and cinnamon. It was awesome! Thank you.

Gianna Jennings

-cue heavenly angel music- Ohh my goodness, oh my freaking goodness. This looks incredible! Definitely going to try making it! You, my dear, are a total cooking god!

Andrina Tisi

I am so ready for fall :-)
This looks yummy & beautiful.

Chrissy

Why have I never thought of a pumpkin smoothie! Genius! Your pictures are beautiful as well :)

torviewtoronto

yummy autumn drink looks fabulous

Elyse @The Cultural Dish

Omg this is a keeper! I have bookmarked this one…. I love anything pumpkin! I’m glad you finally embraced fall with this because it looks fantastic!

Juanita

I was taken aback by this recipe. It’s not something I would’ve thought of doing in a million years! Nicely done on being so inventive :-)

foodieonthe49th

I’m still trying to get used to the cooling weather here in Vancouver. But, what a great idea for easing into Fall!

char @ char on a mission

Mmm, I wanna make this now. But when it gets colder can you create a warm version?! haha

I’m sure I can come up with something…

Carolyn

Any progress on the warm/hot smoothie? I’m freezing to death today and a cold one is out of the question. I LOVE pumpkin. My favorite is pumpkin bread… super yum! If you come up with something here, please share?

Rachael

Thank you so much for this idea! My protein smoothies from the doctor’s office can get so bland and boring. I’d been adding frozen unsweetened peaches (the 50 calories are so worth it!) but I’m ready to move into an autumn flavor and this is perfect.

Julie

Loved this smoothie as much or more than the pumpkin pie I made for T-giving…and it’s somewhat healthy. I will admit I added a bit more maple syrup and cinnamon than called for. Great recipe! Thanks!

Magdalena

I just found Your blog and i think it’s super! Great pictures! I just tried Pumpkin Spice Smoothie ( only without banana- I’m on ACD ). It’s delishes and I fell in love:-)
Thanks for this recipe:-)

Simone (Simple Healthy Homemade)

My favorite pumpkin recipe right now, at this point is http://simplehealthyhomemade.com/2011/10/19/pumpkin-cream-cheese-stuffed-french-toast
but I am sure that will change soon. Your smoothie is delish! I heated it up because I was a bit chilly the other day and yummo! It’s amazing hot too :)

Oh that’s brilliant! I’ll have to heat it up tomorrow morning :)

Christine

Hi Leanne , This recipe has been selected to be featured in our Recipe Guessing Game. Please share the following link with your friends and fans. To play, go here: http://knapkins.com/guess_games/221?source=facebook Congrats again!! :)

What a fun game! haha I guessed one wrong ingredient, is that bad for it being my own recipe? Fail! I could have sworn I put all spice in it. Sheesh!

Danielle

Who are you and where have you been all my life?!

I’ve found some sweet vegan blogs, but yours is veganicious to the max! I’m eating everything here with my eyes already!

I was planning to take a nap, but…

Annie

I just found your site yesterday as I was searching for Thanksgiving recipes, needlessly to say I am so excited to make some of your recipes! I just made your pumpkin smoothie this morning and I am “in love”!! What a great way to start Thanksgiving day, yummm!

I’m so happy to hear you liked the smoothie, Annie! Hope you’re having a fabulous thanksgiving :)

Ronnie

I’m allergic to bananas, but they’re almost always a part of smoothie recipes. What can I replace it with?

It’s just there to sweeten it up. Feel free to replace with 1-2 medjool dates. Hope that helps!

Govind Menon

Canned Pumpkin or anything canned defeats the purpose of eating healthy – you have great recipes but including canned ingredients just ruins it – please don’t include canned or frozen ingredients in your recipes – fresh organic pumpkin tastes better and is way better for you than the yellow goop from a can that they call pumpkin.

Thanks for your feedback. As with anything, there are varying levels of health for many different people. If making a homemade smoothie out of canned pumpkin encourages someone from preparing their breakfast at home versus going to a fast food joint or smoothie shop for breakfast, then I feel my recipe has accomplished something. Of course if someone has the time to prepare fresh pumpkin, that’s awesome! Fresh is always better than canned, frozen, packaged, etc.

Jen

Hi! Thank you so much for sharing this recipe! I’m on a smoothie kick right now :) I just wanted to let you know that you’ve been pinned here: http://pinterest.com/hautewhimsy/smoothies

Timmy

Can I use real milk that is raw. Will that be ok or will that make it taste weird?

I’m not sure, I don’t see why not!

MP Baldauf

WOW! What a fab looking smoothie! I can’t in good conscious drink a Pumpkin Spice Latte — I’ll try this to get me the flavor and taste of the season w/o the calories, saturated fat and sugar! LOVE LOVE LOVE your site. I’m going to add a link to it on my blog.

lisa van c

Heavenly! Just added my Herbalife protein powder & will recommend this. You are awesome to share this. Thank you for your recipes.

I’m so happy that you liked the recipe, Lisa!

crystal

why non dairy milk?

Mary Ellen

This is a vegan website. If she used regular milk, it wouldn’t be vegan.

Jodi

My new favorite way to enjoy pumpkin! Really amazingly delicious. I also made the quinoa bake. I love your recipes!!! Thanks so much!

I’m eating a quinoa bake as we speak! So happy that you enjoy the recipes on my blog :)

Mary Ellen

This was awesome! I added maple flavoring.

chrissy

Yum-o! Was looking for a dairy free pumpkin smoothie recipe and found your. It was very tasted. I opted to make mine a little sweeter with a packet of truvia, because I didn’t have the whipped topping. Great recipe!!!

Jessica

Just made the smoothie! It made the perfect fall treat! SO GOOD!

Thanks for the recipe! :)

Gunda

Why don’t you just bake a fresh pumpkin in the oven, it’ll keep in the fridge for several days, and you can freeze what you don’t use right away. So much better than the canned stuff! The recipe looks delicious.

Wallaa

I was wondering what to do with a pumpkin from our CSA, and this was just perfect! I used “pumpkin pie spice” versus the individual spices and also added protein powder. My man and I are both LOVING it–so much so that I had to post while we’re still gobbling it up! Thanks for sharing.

Kate

if I warm it up will it still taste good?

Hi Kate, I’m not sure I understand your question. I’m sure you could serve this smoothie a bit warm, for sure.

Laura Blanton

My favorite pumpkin recipe is one of my own – Whole Wheat Pumpkin Bran Muffins. It would have to be tweaked to fit into your vegan qualifications, but they have really helped me with my nutritional needs. They fill me up at breakfast and give me lots of fiber. My grandsons and my husband love them too.

I would be happy to give you the recipe if you wanted to convert it for you and others. Thanks for the new pumpkin and quinoa tips.

Jen B

I made this the other day – with some pumpkin pie spice in place of the other spices. Perhaps I need to add more next time, I found the flavor bland. And I am going to freeze some banana slices, so it will be frostier! :-)
Love your website – the content is lovely, and the graphics and photos are beautiful!!

Uh oh, it shouldn’t be bland at all! Yes, I would suggest using a bit more spices as some spice mixes can be a bit dull. Thanks for your lovely compliments about my blog, Jen. Have a great week!

Caitlin

Just tried this out since I had some leftover cans of pumpkin- it was amazing! The raisins were are great way to keep it sweet without adding sugar!

I’m happy that you liked the recipe, Caitlin!

jane

I’m sorry. I just didn’t like this recipe at all. I couldn’t even finish the glass & had to dump the entire container. What a waste of ingredients. Just wasn’t good.

Callie

Hi! I’m excited about this smoothie recipe, all the pumpkin smoothie recipes online have yogart, which I am not a fan of. Can’t wait to try it! I have some pumpkin in the freezer, and I might mix in some chocolate protein powder. Thanks!

Alexandrea

what are the nutrition facts for the smoothie? And I love adding oat flour to my smoothies to make it thick and creamy.

Shawne

Just made one! Yummy a nice way to get more pumpkin into your diet, it is so good for you, a nice change from my berry smoothies!

Nice, Shawne! I’m really happy that you enjoyed it :)

Linda

I just added a little bit of pumpkin spice in addition to the original spices & a frozen banana.
Absolutely delicious!!!!!

Holly

This is paleo. Yes! You just made my day.

Awesome! I have quite a few paleo recipes. If you’re interested, I have a whole page dedicated to them! Here: http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/paleo-recipes/

Kim

I live in Spain & we don’t have canned pumpkin so should I boil fresh pumpkin for smoothies???

Lucy

Absolutely disgusting. It is so unsweetened that it’s inedible for adults and kids alike. It looks gorgeous, but it tastes horrendous. I recommend adding some sort of sugar, sweetener, dates, honey- something that will allow it to taste better and not so disgustingly bitter.

Note: I did not add the whipped cream. But that won’t help much unless a substantial amount is added to the entire recipe!

Megan @ bedstuyfoodie

This looks amazing! I am going to make a vegan pumpkin pie smoothie this weekend!

Leslie

Loved the consistency. Not a big banana fan, so did not like the strong presence of banana flavor. Next time, no banana.

Halley

I looooooooooooove pumpkin! But I’m allergic to banana. Is it really needed?

Hey Halley – I bet you could use medjool dates (to sweeten)

Denise

Ok I made this and as the pic looks beautiful and I wanna pick up a 6 pack of them, I was EXTREAMLY disappointed! HORRIABLE , my son whom I hauls most things I make strongly urged me to never make this again if I did he would pour it out! I have 22 1gallon bags og pumpkin in my freezer and I’m not a newbie to cooking or smoothies . I do not and would not ever send anyone to this smoothie.

Hi Denise – I’m not sure what went on here. It’s one of the most popular recipes on the blog. Everyone loves it! Did you change the recipe in any way?