4 Ingredient Raw Lemon Pudding

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on September 25, 2011

Hubba, hubba, dairy-free recipes! But before we get to that…

How is it already Sunday? And, the last weekend in September?

Weekends have Life is just flying by.

I spent most of the day yesterday running around the city. I took pictures throughout my travels to make the day a bit more enjoyable.

After heading in to the city to visit my Chiropractor, my #1 priority was finding some chocolate soy pudding for Kevin. He cannot live without the stuff.

I’ve told him multiple times that I can make him pudding, but he refuses.

Eh, more for me!

Then it was on to find him raspberry soda mix for our sodastream machine. Seriously one of the best kitchen purchases, ever.

While I was searching for said mixture, I stumbled on a rolling pin sale! Yes, it actually said that on the store sign.

Awesome.

I’ve been using an old (clean) wine bottle as a rolling pin since I started the blog.

I figured it was time for an upgrade.

Then, Kevin and I went to Home Depot… again.

I found some awesome paint colors and a couple more wood stains for more homemade blog props!

I really need to start planning the paint colors for the house, but I figure painting little pieces of wood is good practice for large walls.

Baby steps.

By the time we got home it was 7:30pm and our neighbors were due for their visit any minute.

We prepped some snacks, hung out in the kitchen, and tested our new sparkly water mixture.

Mmm cranberry.

We spent the rest of the evening out on the patio catching up with friends, a perfect end to a busy day.

… and this pudding was the perfect Sunday beginning.

No one would know that this pudding is sugar-free, made from avocados, and is 100% raw.

And it’s only 4 ingredients!

A little goes a long way though. I think I can split this batch (all shown in the picture) into 4 servings.

This morning, I had it over top of a bowl of fresh blackberries.

Delicious in every way possible!

[print_this]

4 Ingredient Raw Lemon Pudding

Vegan, Gluten free, Dairy free, Sugar free, Yeast free, Corn free

The lemon flesh adds so much flavor to this vegan, sugar-free, and raw pudding!

Yield: 1 cup of pudding

Servings: 4

• 1 avocado
  • 6 medjool dates, pitted (yield: 1/2 cup)
  • flesh from 2 lemons – without peel or seeds (yield: 1/3 cup) *see note
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice

1. Place all ingredients in a processor or blender and blend until smooth.
  2. Depending on the ripeness of your avocado, and your desired thickness, you may need to add water. I added 2 tablespoons at the end of blending the ingredients.
  3. Top with seeds, berries, stir in some chia, or eat plain!

Note: to remove the flesh from the lemon, cut the lemon into quarters. Begin by peeling the flesh from the rind. You’ll be left with the flesh and a bunch of seeds in it. Remove the seeds one by one and place the flesh into the processor.

calories: 173 | fat: 6.5g |saturated fat: 1.2g | carbohydrate: 33g | fiber: 7.8g | sugars: 24g | protein: 1.6g

[/print_this]

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen)

My boys are the same way with some things. Although they love when I make things for them, sometimes they really want the store bought version. The pudding looks and sounds delicious! You know I love simplicity in a recipe. It makes it that much better! Have a great Sunday Leanne!

Aine @ Something to Chew Over

What a great idea! I often use avocado as a fat substitute in baking but never raw like this.

I’ll have to give it a whirl – I love anything lemony :)

Faith @ For the Health of It

I’d never used it raw until I tried a chocolate avocado mousse – rocked my world. I love lemon too, so this looks like an awesome dessert!

Tracy @ Commit To Fit

This looks delicious and so easy to make. Two of my favourite things :)

Haley @ Fit, Young, and Fabulous

An avocado?! No way!! Sounds delish! (:

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles

Yum! I’ve been experimenting with culturing my own non-dairy yogurt, but in the meantime this will be a great sub. I can’t wait to get more props for blog photos!

Evan Thomas

I’m shocked that that has avocado in it. Usually avocado puddings are really obvious; with that one you can’t see a speck of green!

Callie {rawxy}

Ok – I think I’m steeling the recipe to make for my Roommates b-day tomorrow. Except, it will be going in mini-tart crust. I was going to do a chocolate pudding filling, but now that I see this, I’m changing my mind!

Oh my gosh, it would be a perfect filling! Can’t wait to see how it turns out!

that pudding looks so good..and rich! Anything with avo and dates tends to get really rich…which is great :) And the color is so…yellow which is very impressive that it’s not pale green from a whole avo.

Leah

I need a little clarification on what you mean by the flesh of the lemon? Is that the white part of the peel? This sounds so great, I really want to make it, but I’m not confident I understand what you mean.

Hi Leah – to remove the flesh from the lemon, cut the lemon into quarters. Begin by peeling the flesh from the rind. You’ll be left with the flesh and a bunch of seeds in it. Remove the seeds one by one and place the flesh into the processor. Think of it like getting the stuff out of the lemon as you would an orange before you eat it. I hope that helps!

Kristi Rimkus

This is a must try. I’ve bookmarked this one. Healthy, creamy perfection!

Frugal Jen | Frugal, Freebies and Deals

Since my stint with the Chocolate Avocado Pudding (http://www.frugalfreebiesanddeals.com/2011/08/healthy-chocolate-raspberry-parfaits-top-secret-ingredient.html) I have been thinking of something like this- but I want to another layer version of “key lime” pudding, gluten free graham cracker crumb “crust” and coconut whipped cream.

jenetta

Molly@hungryhungryrunner.com

I love lemon *anything* and this pudding looks amazing! Congrats on your new rolling pin! I’m still using an old wine bottle myself and hope to upgrade to a real pin someday soon. I’ve got my eye out for a good deal! :)

I’m happy to hear it’s not just me using a wine bottle. They do, do the trick though!

The Teenage Taste

LOVE your new header, Leanne! It’s so simple and pretty!

Meg (A Dash of Meg)

Definitely trying this one! Thanks for sharing how you enjoyed it this morning :) It’s always neat to know different ways of enjoying new eats! :)

Haha, I laughed when you wrote about using a wine bottle! TOO CUTE xoxoxoxo

Elies_Lie

I loves avocado & lemon! it’s a great way to start a day :)
Congratz to found a new rolling pin on a sale price leanne! that rolling pin looks lovely!
Great pudding! ;)

Kelly

What a great recipe, this looks delicious! Also, I love the new look of your site!! xoxo

Beth Michelle

This looks really great. I love the ingredient list! Will have to try it.

Lori @ Laurel of Leaves

Oh man–raw lemon pudding with a bowl of fresh blackberries. Swoon! ;)

Stephanie @ Eat. Drink. Love.

This sounds so tasty!! Great recipe!!!

Katie@Real Food Katie's Way

I am SHOCKED that the pudding doesn’t have a hint of green colouring (due to the avocado)…

It’s so darn pretty!

Andrea@cleanupandeatup.com

Wow! I so need a rolling pic – I use a coffee thermos wrapped in plastic wrap… Perhaps I will put one on my Christmas list! I am working on some pudding recipes (using tofu) at the moment as well – this one is fantastic and super easy! Thanks!

Nicki@nick-stirs

I happen to have everything on hand for this except dates, so they are going on the shopping list!

Christine

Congrats on Foodbuzz top 9!

Sook

Congratulations on top 9! The pudding looks wonderful!

foodlvr

The pudding looks really rich and yummy. Can’t believe it isn’t cooked and isn’t made with dairy. Wow. I might have to try and find the dates so I can make this. Congrats on the Top 9.

I just got finished making your lemon pudding…had to use one lemon and one lime (must have used the 2nd lemon for my water). I have to say, it is so refreshing! So full of flavor! Love it! I’ve never had the medjool dates before, they are quite the sweet treat! Thank you for the delightful yumminess! My mouth was happy :-)

Diana @ VeggieNextDoor

I’ve made chocolate avocado pudding before and LOVED it… the idea of making a lemon pudding in the same manner is simply BRILLIANT! This one is getting bookmarked, and hopefully tried very soon!

Diana @ VeggieNextDoor

I just made it and it was as delish as I expected! How did you get yours so yellow though? Mine was a pretty shade of avocado-green. Perhaps because I used meyer lemons?

I’ve had a couple of people tell me theirs wasn’t as yellow, and I can’t honestly understand why! Maybe the age of the avocado has something to do with it?

Julie

I just made this and found my avocado wasn’t ideally ripe so added 1/4 c. almond milk, 5 drops Young Living lemon essential oil and 1 tsp. Stevia. Much improved!

omg I bet it was delicious with the added essential oil!

Lynne

I tried it last night, and ate the WHOLE thing. Only complaint is that it wasn’t pretty like yours! Mine came out a funny light brown/green color. I wasn’t sharing, though, so it doesn’t really matter lol :)

I’ve heard that from a bunch of people, I had no idea why mine was such a different color! So happy you liked it, Lynne :)

Buffy

I made this tonight. Mine is green and super sour. Is there something I am missing? I have the pix from me making it too

Interesting. It shouldn’t be sour with all those dates in there. Did you use medjool dates?

Beverly Grant

WOW!! Great recipe!! I used yacon syrup instead of dates and put cinnamon on top and it turned out awesome!!!! Yacon syrup doesn’t have any sugar and I think it tastes sweeter than dates. You can find it online because it is hard to find in stores. Thanks!

Robbie

I made this for the second time in a week, exactly as recipe says. YUM! Mine isn’t a pretty color, either (more of a brownish yellow), but it is heavenly. My husband wolfed down most of the first batch I made. My husband suggested food coloring to change the color but I said no way am I adding artificial stuff to this pudding!

Good call on the no artificial color, no sense doing it if it tastes good! You could try adding natural color from carrot juice or something like that…

Looks like a great recipe, April. I really like that you used xylitol!

April

I decided to just repost the recipe because I kept thinking of mistakes I made. >.< Sorry!
3/4 cups gluten free oat flour
1/4 cup coconut flour
1 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon xylitol (or any other natural/healthy sugar sub. You can also just use white sugar if you need to)
1/2 cup milk (I sub water. Also, coconut oil absorbs moisture like crazy so I just add water until I get the traditional watery pancake batter texture)
1 egg (I’ve never tried this with a commercial egg replacement, but I think it will work. Chia seeds ,however, do not.
2 tblsp. extra virgin olive oil
Mix wet ingredients together, mix dry ingredients together, and then mix all of it together. Cook and enjoy!
This will yield around 5 servings.

Thanks April, I removed your other comments so others don’t get confused. Sounds awesome!

Robyn

I made this as a dessert for an healthy iron chef competition I was in and I didn’t win but I made the front page of the local paper! It said I ‘pleasantly surprised the judges with her avocado and lemon pudding and it’s pleasantly sweet and smooth texture’!

You did good, girl!! Thanks so very much for sharing this delightful recipe. I will never look at store bought pudding the same again. Avo’s are amazing!

Wow, that’s awesome! Way to go on getting a story written about it, too :)

Eileen @ Phoenix Helix

This recipe looks delicious AND it fits the paleo autoimmune protocol. So, thank you! I just started a weekly Paleo AIP Recipe Roundtable through my blog, and I would love it if you linked up this recipe. I’m trying to expand resources for the AIP community. Here’s the link: http://www.phoenixhelix.com/2013/12/11/paleo-aip-recipe-roundtable-6/