Ashley has been whipping up buckwheat bakes for as long as I can remember.
It wasn’t until she made a pumpkin version, that I knew I had to give the buckwheat bake a try.
One bite and I was in love. <3
I’ve been making these in batches of 2 or 3, popping them in the fridge, and using them as a quick breakfast I can take with me on the road.
Has anyone else found it incredibly challenging to find buckwheat?
Kasha; roasted buckwheat, is easy to find and great in fiber muffins, but it’s non-roasted counterpart is a tricky one to track down!
I had to search high and low for the non-roasted stuff. For anyone that lives in Calgary/area, the best, most reliable place to get buckwheat is Community Natural Foods [downtown].
For everyone else – Superstore now carries it! You’ll find it next to the dried beans/lentils. Unfortunately though, they cannot guarantee it’s gluten free.
- ¼ cup non-dairy milk
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup pumpkin puree
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or raw honey
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup raw buckwheat flour [ground in a blender from raw groats]
- 1 tablespoon raw buckwheat groats
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon all spice
- ¼ cup frozen raspberries
- ¼ cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat your oven to 375F and grease a 4-5″ oven safe dish with coconut oil and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk wet ingredients. Once incorporated, mix in dry ingredients. Stir until well combined.
- Pour mixture into greased dish + even out.
- Bake for 35min-40min until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. [Mine took 40 minutes].
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes before removing from the dish and chowing down!
View Nutritional Information (once on page scroll down)
Preparing these in pretty bowls makes everything taste better. I promise.
Once the wet + the dry are combined, stir it all up!
And don’t forget the raspberries. I’ve done that a couple times :(
40 minutes later, you’re left with a delicious breakfast, fit for 1.
I don’t recommend sharing. It could end badly.
… and if you forget to add the raspberries, just turn them into a puree and plop them on top like I did!
Have you tried the buckwheat bake? What’s your favorite flavor?
Do you like sweet or savory breakfasts?
I’ll take breakfast, lunch, and dinner sweet… all the time!