Sweet Strawberry Ice Cream + Chocolate Sauce

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on April 12, 2011

I’m happy to report that I completed everything on my to do list, except for the photography stroll I had planned for the afternoon.

I have a good excuse though.

The minute I walked outside with camera in hand, it started snowing.

Snow + Kevin’s DSLR = Leanne in a lot of trouble if something bad happens.

So, I went inside and made mac n’ cheese.

:D

Kevin came home a couple hours later with a hunger in his belly that could only be cured by a cool treat [or so he claimed!].

hmm… cool treat…

Popsicles?

“Milk” shake?

Carob cluster? [I had one left, so I was hoping he wasn't going to want a cluster, but I had to mention it]

Ice cream?

His face lit up at those two magical words. Ice cream it was.

Best part? You don’t need an ice cream maker to get the job done, it’s vegan, and it’s less than $1.50/serving! woot!

I love ice cream but hate all the junk ingredients in the conventional stuff:

Butyraldehyde [nut flavor aka the main ingredient in rubber cement], Diethylglycol [a chemical used instead of egg yolks], Ethyl Acetate [pineapple flavor aka leather cleaner], Piperonal [vanilla flavor aka used to kill lice] , Aldehydec-17 [cherry flavor aka dye used in the manufacturing of rubber], Amylacetate [banana flavor aka an oil pain solvent]

Not to mention:

Corn syrup, Milk solids, Glucose/Fructose, Whey, Gums, Polysorbate

There are some great organic or coconut based ice creams out there, I just can’t justify spending $9 for <16oz.

I’ll stick to my homemade, affordable, and healthy-as-can-be ice cream, thanks!

[print_this]

Petite and Sweet Strawberry Ice Cream

Vegan, Gluten free, Dairy free, Sugar free, Yeast free

Enjoy coconut ice cream at the fraction of the cost of the store bought stuff. Best part is, you don’t even need an ice cream maker! This sweet dessert is packed with strawberry flavor with just a hint of coconut and best enjoyed with a spoonful of chocolate sauce.

• 1 16 oz. can of lite coconut milk
  • 1 cup strawberries
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • pinch white stevia*

Optional toppings: chocolate sauce (below), coconut, walnuts, almonds, dried fruit, flax…

*note: if you don’t like stevia, replace with 4 medjool dates or 2 tbsp of agave nectar and blend with the rest of the ingredients.

1. Combine all ingredients in blender until smooth.
  2. Pour into 2 freezer safe bowls and place in the freezer for at total of 1.5-2 hours, removing every 30 minutes to whisk so that it doesn’t set into an ice cube.
  3. When it gets to a soft serve ice cream consistency it’s done!

Makes 2 servings.

[/print_this]

[print_this]

Chocolate Sauce

Vegan, Gluten free, Dairy free, Sugar free, Yeast free

• 2 tbsp full fat coconut cream – use the thick cream from the top of the can
  • 2 tsp cacao powder
  • 1 tsp coconut oil
  • pinch white stevia

*note: if you don’t like stevia, replace with 1/2 tsp agave nectar or other sweetener

1. Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and pour over top ice cream

Makes 2 servings.

[/print_this]

In related news…

We ordered an ice cream maker over the weekend. It’ll show up on/before April 30!!

I had a dream about my new ice cream maker last night. I put my morning smoothie in it and had ice cream for breakfast.

You better believe that’ll be one of the first things I do with it.

I just have to figure out how to make an almond flour cone. Oh, it will be done my friends.

What ice cream flavor is your favorite?

Are you an ice cream + cone person? Or a ice cream + cup?

What was your favorite way to eat ice cream when you were growing up?

My favorite combined Dad’s oatmeal cookies + vanilla ice cream = ice cream sandwiches. Delicious!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga)

Leanne, it looks awesome! I love the chocolate sauce addition. Because, well, chocolate is always a good thing :)

You’re right! Chocolate makes everything okay!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey

That looks really good! Does it have a good consistency?

The creamiest consistency we’ve been able to find was when we mixed 2 cups coconut milk, 1 tbsp vanilla, 4 medjool dates and then followed the same instructions. Anytime you’re adding items like fruit (ie. strawberries) the water content makes it a bit “icy”. This strawberry version was pretty good, the key is to continue to whisk it until it’s done!

Jess@HealthyExposures

Uh oh…Sarena (the Non Dairy Queen) always had me wishing for an ice cream maker last summer. Now I’m pretty sure you’ll be doing the same, and I am bound to have a new appliance pretty soon :P That’s awesome that this doesn’t require one. Too bad there’s no room in the freezer!
I was always an ice cream in a cup kinda gal! It’d make me angry because even if it’s the same size, though, you seem to get way less. And they don’t even knock the price down. I don’t think I made my parents happy… :P

You should be able to make any ice cream in the freezer, so long as you stir it up every 30 minutes or so… get to that freezer woman! You have a cleared out pantry, now you have to get through your frozen bits to make way for ice cream making. You won’t regret it!

I need to make this! I have always wanted to make homemade ice cream, but I don’t have an ice cream maker…..yay for this recipe :) :)

My fav flavor is chocolate chip mint……or chocolate chip cookie cough!!! That is when I used to eat ice cream…..and I am an “ice cream in a cup” person ;)

Heather @Gluten-Free Cat

Snowing??? In April? What a winter! I’ve never made my own ice cream because I thought you needed an ice cream maker. Can’t wait to try this!

Ohh it will snow up until the May long weekend [which is at the end of May] then it’ll be rainy in June, nice in July + August, then cooler in Sept. Our first snow fall is usually Oct. :| Why do I live here again? Let me know how you like making your own! It’s a bit tedious, but totally worth it!

Alayna @ Thyme Bombe

Yum! I think pistachio is my favorite ice cream flavor.

kate@ahealthypassion

As soon as the weather warms up im making this and definitely adding the chocolate sauce!

The chocolate sauce made it for me. Kevin said he didn’t think the combination of strawberry and chocolate “worked”. He’s crazy. It was delicious!

Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food

mm what a great idea!

I so agree that most ice cream has such junk in it! I think I’m definitely a waffle cone girl if I’ve go the appetite for it. nothing better than cookies and cream! :)

Cookies and cream, I couldn’t agree with you more!

Alaina Rose @ Sweetness of Life

What a delicious looking little treat! I used to use stevia a lot, but I’m pretty sure it makes my stomach feel all funky. So I usually use dates or maple syrup to sweeten things. You are going to LOVE your ice cream maker! I’ve had one for a while now and it’s so fricken awesome! :-)

I can’t wait until I can have maple syrup and dates again. Darn yeast cleanse. I think stevia makes my stomach a bit funky too… hopefully my yeast will die in under 4 months I can get back on the medjool date train! Ahh I can’t wait for that darn ice cream maker!

Heidi @ Food Doodles

Yummy! I could totally go for some of this right now :D I have an ice cream maker and I looooooove it. You’re going to love yours :D I eat ice cream in a cup. I’ve never liked those flavorless cone things. I do like waffle cones though or ice cream in between cookies. Oh my.

zomg I love ice cream sandwiches made with cookies. I think you’re right, I’m going to loooove this thing!

Mandy@ One Hungry Mess

Yum! I saw the picture and thought “Oh, please don’t let this be made of cashews!” I love me some vegan ice cream, just not the kind made of nuts. Your recipes never disappoint! :)

Why have I never heard of cashew ice cream before? I guess it makes sense… cashews would be perfect… but I’ll stick to my coconut milk! mm mm

Stacy @ LoveDiscoveryGratitude

Oh that looks awesome! And the ice cream maker will be so fun! My favorite is huckleberry or chocolate chip cookie dough :D

Huckleberry, eh? That sounds delicious! I don’t think I’ve ever had that flavor.

Michelle | GOLD-HEARTED GIRL

Thsoe colors are so vibrant! I love your cupcake liners used as ice cream cups, too. :)

Thanks! I actually bought them at superstore for $2 for 4! They’re little plastic cups + spoons. So fun!

Audrey

My favorite flavor of ice cream is strawberry-real strawberry. I think, now I am a ice cream in-a-cup person, but growing up I was a ice cream in-a-cup-with-a-cone-on-top person.

Firefly

That ice cream looks so good and easy to make :) we must try it! Thanks :)

Natalia - a side of simple

What a way to trump Ben and Jerry’s free cone day :) I’m not complaining in the least. In fact, I’m loving the fact that I finally don’t need to buy an ice cream maker to make my own! :)

bahaha how perfect! I didn’t even know!

Junia @ Mis Pensamientos

this looks delicious and healthy!!! i love your recipes leanne! my kind of food :)

Stefanie @TheNewHealthy

Oh my gosh, yum! I love coconut ice cream but I can’t justify spending 6 dollars a pint either! Can’t wait to make this! :)

Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie)

I love how I can make this without an ice cream machine since it’s my bf who keeps it not me.
My favorite ice cream flavor is most definitely cookies and cream or Oreo yumm!

Sara @ Fun Simple Sweet

I’m a fan of coconut icecream and anything extra chocolatey :) Thanks for this recipe! I can’t wait to make it!

Jess@atasteofconfidence

This looks great! I love soft serve vanilla, but homemade wise- strawberry is my fav. I loved cookie ice cream sandwiches growing up!

Nina (SLO Foodie)

WOW this looks delicious! Just in time for the warmer weather. Can’t wait to make this, thanks for sharing :)

Nina @ SLO Foodie

Parsley Sage

Easy ice cream? There’s such a thing as EASY ice cream. Oh man. You’ve just made my day.

I’m a pralines and cream kinda girl, myself. In a cup. Because I’m a tragic mess with a cone.

Steph@stephsbitebybi

I’m gonna have to try this yumminess this weekend! So easy and so refreshing!

Lindsey@Lindselicious

Oooh Strawberry Coconut combo- is the coconut taste super faint? This is super easy and simple, love it!

Honestly, I’ve been baking/cooking with coconut so much for the last couple of years, I don’t taste it anymore… unless its really pronounced. I find that the lite coconut milk has a very very faint taste, if that.

Maggie @ Vittles and Bits

This looks awesome! I hope you enjoy your new ice cream maker (they are super fun). I love pretty much any ice cream, I’m a cone kinda gal but only if I get ice cream out.

egb

Drool! This looks great. Strawberry and chocolate are already a good combo, but adding the coconut is excellent.

Kat

I never knew scary ingredients like that could be in my seemingly delicious ice cream! I’m going to look at my ice cream right now.
My favorite ice cream is pistachio
I’m a ice cream in a cup person. I don’t like cones!
I loved ice cream sandwiches when I was a kid. I still enjoy them now but only with my own home made cookie

michelle

I used to camping in Northern Ontario on the weekends with my parents and every Saturday we’d go to this little dairy bar and get tiger ice-cream. Bright orange ice cream with black creamy licorice flavour running through it. So good!

I haven’t had tiger ice cream since I was really little. It’s my Dad’s favorite [that and maple walnut]. I never did like it, but ate it anyways because my Dad did. Camping in Northern Ontario must have been so lovely!

Liz

What a beautiful, healthy and delicious ice cream…thank you!!!!

Claire

It’s official, I NEED an ice cream maker!!

Joy

I love love that you used coconut milk.

The Farmers Wife

Wow Girl!!! Looks so creamy and decadent! Love it!

torviewtoronto

delicious looking presentation looks wonderful
check out the event in my site
regards

Sascha

Question – When ready, can I still let it in the freezer, just like we do with Ice Cream we bought? Or would it turn to an Ice Cube?

It’ll turn a bit hard on you but if you leave it out for awhile it will soften. Best consistency is right after you make it.