Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oats + BBQ Kale Chips

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on April 10, 2011

Yesterday was so much fun!

I was a bit discouraged at first: what foods can I make that will taste great, are high in coconut, 0 sugar, and high in protein?

The best way I’ve found to approach changes to my diet is with an open [and creative] mind.

Reminding myself a couple of times today that the changes I’m making now will benefit me greatly down the road really helped me stay on track.

I even stopped myself from eating a handful of raisins and went for a handful of almonds instead.

The day started with some Overnight Oats.

I’ve been dreaming of eating overnight oats for ages and they didn’t let me down. They were delicious!

I was so full after this breakfast.

My stomach felt a little odd afterward – I got bloated, had minor stomach pains about 2 hours after eating it, and my stomach was in a funk all day.

It could have been the new supplements the Naturopath has me on, probably should have started supplements + oats on different days.

I’ll try oats again tomorrow morning without the supplements [after my race] and see how I feel.

[print_this]

Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oats

Vegan, Gluten free, Dairy free, Sugar free, Yeast free

• 1 cup non-dairy milk – I used unsweetened almond milk
  • 1 apple, diced – keep the skin on!
  • 1/3 cup uncontaminated oats
  • 2 tbsp chia seeds
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • pinch of white stevia powder
  • pinch of vanilla powder – vanilla extract would work too

To be made the night before you plan on eating it, or at least 4 hours in advance.

1. Combine all ingredients in a glass container, stir until incorporated, seal, and  place in the fridge overnight.
  2. Enjoy right from the fridge, or heat in the microwave for 30 seconds.

Makes 1 serving.

[/print_this]

Then I moved on to a snack of BBQ kale chips and raw veggies.

Smoked paprika is the best thing in the world.

If you haven’t tried it, you need to… in fact you should drop everything you’re doing right now and race to the nearest store. You wont regret it.

[print_this]

BBQ Kale Chips

Vegan, Gluten free, Dairy free, Sugar free, Yeast free

• 1 head kale
  • 1/3 cup cashews
  • 2-3 tbsp water
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tbsp smoked paprika + more for sprinkling
  • 2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp herbamare
  • dash of cayenne

1. Preheat oven to 350F and take out a cookie sheet. No oiling/greasing needed.
  2. Drop all ingredients but kale in a blender and process until smooth.
  3. Wash kale and remove stem – I like to just rip it from the stem. Place kale in a large bowl and cover with 1/4 cup of the paprika mixture. Stir to coat before laying out on prepared cookie sheet.
  4. Sprinkle kale with extra smoked paprika and bake for 14-17 minutes [mine took 16 minutes but should have probably been taken out at 15]

Makes 1 serving. I didn’t share, and you don’t have to either!

[/print_this]

Hubba, hubba, ding, ding.

I used some of the leftover sauce to pour over my veggies.

I have so many plans for that sauce, starting with roasted veggies tomorrow night.

What’s a perfect day without a perfect dessert?

I made these in anticipation of being hungry later, but I wasn’t. Something to look forward to this afternoon!

Do you like kale chips?

What’s your favorite way to make them?

Do you have an interesting kale recipe you want to share with me?

I need to eat more greens and I’m open to suggestions!

kate@ahealthypassion

food looks delicious I am planning on making kale chips later today yummm… and overnight oats are my favorite, hot oats make my stomach feel weird but overnight ones usually dont bother it!

Kristen

Everything looks so yummy!!! One of my favorite kale recipes is in the salad form.. chopped kale combined with lemon juice (about half of a lemon), 1-2 tbsp honey, about 2 tbsp olive oil (whisk together with s&p) and mango. SOO tasty. Turns into an almost creamy but super fresh salad that is a great side dish or can be turned into a main dish with some cashews, coconut shreds and tofu!! Enjoy!

I love the idea of combining mango + kale I bet the flavor is amazing. I’ll have to give it a try! Thanks for the suggestion :)

Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie)

Mmm love the apple overnight oats. I think I might be the only blogger who doesn’t really do the apple oatmeal combo :D Maybe it deserves a second chance lol Omg those little desserts have my mouth watering! Are those the no bake granola cakes?

Really? I think that’s my favorite combo, although it’s been years since I’ve had oatmeal so I’m not sure what combo I like best… yet. I hate to say it, but these are BETTER than no bake granola cakes. I can’t wait to share the recipe!

Nikki

I love the idea of mixing oats & chia, two of my favorite breakfast foods. Yum!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga)

I don’t know if it’s interesting but it’s my gold standby kale chip recipe

yours look awesome and i loved how you 1. didnt soak the cashews and 2. made them in the oven. Great way to be fast and just get ‘er done :)

Firefly

I need to try kale chips, more greens is what I need to do too :) I love the overnight oats, I’m actually going to make some now :) and enjoy in the morning, happy I have everything that is needed :D

I find I’ll never eat my greens unless they’re in the form of something “unhealthy” like chickpea + kale burgers, kale chips, chard rolls… I can’t just eat them in a salad! I hope you enjoyed your overnight oats!

Barb

I like to rub coconut oil or coconut butter into the kale leaves before baking them. Add herbamare too. YUMMO

Kari

I just ate these overnight oats for my second breakfast, they were so amazingly good. I thought I would want to warm them up but they tasted great cold. Also I’m super excited because my palm sugar has finally come in the mail so I can make your chai tea concentrate. I live in a very rural area so it has taken me forever to gather all the ingredients.

I love calling my second meal of the day second breakfast! Everyone giggles when I say it. I’m glad you liked the oats, and that you can finally make the concentrate. Would love to hear how you like it :)

I had these oats for breakfast this morning and ended up daydreaming about them the rest of the day! :) I’ll definately make this mixture again!!

Jennifer

silly question….Can the oats be any kind? I have organic old fashioned oats …will that work?

Yes, those will work great!