Okay so… rum is not part of my cleanse plan.
And I know we’re so far away from Christmas that even the mention of rum balls may be depressing for some of you [sorry].
But with 12 inches of snowfall on Saturday, my mind + body was totally seasonally confused.
It all started when I’d gotten back from an afternoon walk with the dogs.
The air was cold, the wind was blowing, and there was so much snow in my boots I could no longer feel my toes.
Next thing I knew I was grabbing the rum and pouring it into my chocolate batter.
I’d like to propose we bring back the rum ball and make it an all season dessert. Anyone with me?
I was off my cleanse for 5 minutes as I enjoyed these gluten and sugar free creations, then whipped up a batch of carrot, ginger, lemon juice to offset the alcohol.
haha I can’t believe I just typed that.
A girl’s gotta have some fun once in awhile.
Cleanse Breaking Coconut Rum Balls
Gluten free, Dairy free, Sugar free, Yeast free
These easy to make chocolaty balls are sugar free and loaded with
rum fiber rich coconut.
- 1/3 cup coconut flour
- 2 organic eggs
- 5 medjool dates, pitted
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoon cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon rum – I used white because it’s all we had, but dark would be good too!
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or silicon baking mat.
- Combine eggs, dates, coconut oil, rum, and vanilla in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Pour into a medium sized bowl and add coconut flour and cacao powder. Stir until combined.
- Shape batter into balls and roll in shredded coconut.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until coconut is starting to turn golden.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack for 10 minutes.
Makes 12 rum balls.
Where this recipe lacks in cleanse-worthiness [I don't even know if that makes sense], it makes up for in high quality ingredients.
A general recipe for rum balls includes:
pecans, wafer cookies, powdered sugar, shortening, cocoa powder, corn syrup, rum
Moral of the story: if you’re going to have rum balls while on a cleanse, have these ones.
What’s your favorite rum filled recipe?
I promise, no more rum until I’m done this cleanse… I’m just curious.
Mine would definitely have to be rum balls!
What’s the weather like where you are?
What’s the best thing you ate over the weekend?
Peach pancake cobblers… mmmm