Heart Healthy Omega Granola

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on March 8, 2011

I had to pick up a couple of groceries on the way home last night. As I was pulling up to the store there was a sign that said bison steak $5.99/lb.

If you know me, you know I LOVE bison. So it should come as no surprise that the minute I stepped foot in the store, I raced to the deli to ask my general meat questions to the butcher.

• Is it certified organic?
  • If not, what farm does it come from?
  • Is it grass-fed?
  • Is it grass finished?

Thankfully the bison passed the test! [To learn more about safe meats, check out health benefits of wild game meats and the meat controversy]

I picked the juiciest looking package of steaks and dropped it into my basket.

Next thing I knew I was at the checkout counter with fresh veg, marinade [made by a local farmer], and my steaks.

Boyfriend working late + loads of work waiting at home + fresh amazing ingredients = Leanne date night!

I don’t get to treat myself with many dates, [in fact the last time was when I made this] so I was pretty excited to get home and have a relaxing, stress free evening.

I got home, marinaded the steaks for an hour while I packed my lunch for today, walked the dogs, and had a shower.

I popped the steaks in the oven on broil, made a mean lemon dill dip for my veggies [I will undoubtedly be posting this recipe in the coming days], and enjoyed my dinner in silence at the kitchen table. Until Pebbles ran up to Lexy and and bit her tail, then it wasn’t so silent.

It was good while it lasted!

On with the eats…

This granola is amazing if I do say so myself.

When I make it again I think I’ll replace the apricots with raisins and increase the cinnamon by a tsp or two. It’s fantastic as is, but feel free to play around with it too!

Heart Healthy Omega Granola

Vegan, Gluten free, Dairy free, Grain free

This crunchy nut based granola is high in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, making it a great addition to a heart healthy or nutrient dense lifestyle.

Dry

• 1/4 tsp Himalayan rock salt

Wet

• 1/4 cup apple juice
  • 2 tbsp chia seed
  • 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
  • 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted

Add-ins: you can try chocolate chips, raisins, figs, extra seeds, play around with it!

• 10 dried apricots, cut into bite-sized pieces
  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries
  • 8 honey dates, pitted and cut into bite-sized pieces
  • 1/4 cup hemp seeds

1. Combine walnuts, almonds, and pepitas in a large glass container. Cover with 2 inches of filtered water and allow to soak overnight.
  2. The next day, place soaked mixture in a strainer, rinse, and shake to dry. Spread on a cutting board and chop the nuts slightly.
  3. Preheat oven to 300F and prepare a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicon baking mat.
  4. Combine wet ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
  5. Combine remaining dry ingredients in a large bowl and whisk to combine. Add soaked nuts and seeds, making sure to coat each piece in the flour mixture.
  6. Add wet to dry and mix until fully incorporated.
  7. Evenly distribute the mixture onto the prepared cookie sheet.
  8. Bake for 55-65 minutes, rotating the mix every 15 minutes. As soon as the mixture is dry, remove from oven to prevent from burning. It will burn quick! So be careful.
  9. Allow granola to cool before mixing in your add-ins.

Nutrition stats [1/4 cup]: calories 266; fat 19g [all good fats!]; saturated fat 3g; carbohydrates 19g; dietary fiber 7g; sugars 10g; protein 10g

Makes 4 cups of granola, or 16 servings.

I’m loving this granola mixed in with my morning soaked chia, as a snack with some carob chips, or mashed with apple sauce!

Do you take time out of your hectic schedule to have a date night with yourself?

If you were going to have a date night, what types of things would you want to do?

Jen

Hi Leanne, I’m new to buying bison – I’ve ordered it plenty in restaurants. Is that a good price? What store did you get it at?

Hi Jen, are you in Calgary? If so, the best place to get bison is Horizon Meats in the NE. If you’re not from Calgary, try checking your local farmers market, or if you like, let me know where you’re located and I’ll see if I can track down a couple of resources for you. A couple of the posts I mentioned in my granola post explains what you’re looking for in a good meat. It doesn’t HAVE to be organic [many farms don't get certified because it's too expensive, but they still practice organic farming]. In fact, if it’s not organic it’s going to be a bit less.

I’ve seen bison prices anywhere from $4/lb to $11/lb. It all depends on what the quality is and where you get it. My average [price is $6/lb for grass-fed & finished bison, a great price in my book.

Jen

Hey, thanks…I am in Calgary so I’ll check out Horizon Meats as suggested. Have you seen any quality bison at Co-op/Sobeys? I’m in the far SE so hoping to find something close-by.
I’m new to following you (via Kimber), and love your recipes! Thanks again, and will definitely try the granola recipe above.

A couple of my Nutritionist friends have mentioned Second to None Meats, they have a location in the south that may be more convenient for you. Here’s their website: http://www.secondtononemeats.com/ I’ve heard that they’re a bit more expensive than Horizon meats, but I totally understand not wanting to drive all the way to the NE to pick up your meat.

I’ve found bison at Co-op and Sobeys but they were not grass-fed or finished, so I chose not to buy it. That’s not to say that it’s still like that. I suggest you check every time you go grocery shopping, you might get lucky one day and they’ll have the perfect meat!

Also, something I forgot to mention… the Calgary Farmer’s Market has a couple of vendors that sell great bison [Blush lane is really good]. It’s a bit over priced but going to the farmers market on the weekend has to be one of the best activities. Thanks again for following me, I thanked Kimber for the recommendation :) Let me know how the bison hunt goes!

kate@ahealthypassion

This granola looks awesome and I absolutely love your bowl, soo cute!

Thanks Kate! I’m addicted to buying bowls and plates and such. There’s a cute store right near my office that sells discounted/unwanted housewares. I spend a least an hour a week sifting through their stock. Best way to spend a Friday lunch hour if you ask me!

YUM! I love how you use the apple juice instead of honey or agave or something I can’t have :) I want to make this! I haven’t had granola in forever!

You could use apple sauce too!
I’ve been meaning to ask you, do you consider palm sugar a “sugar”? Do you eat palm sugar, stevia, or yacon syrup? You’re the queen of sugar free, so I hoped you could give me some insight. I want to start labeling some of my recipes sugar free, but I’m unsure of what constitutes as sugar for people on a 100% sugar free diet. Thanks Alex :)

brandi

that granola looks delicious!

and you are SO lucky to find that bison for such a great price! The local bison I’ve been buying went from 5.99/lb to 8.99/lb in ONE WEEK! Crazy.

I know, right? The price of bison increased for us a couple of months ago up to $11/lb! AH! I stopped eating bison for a bit until I could find it a bit cheaper. That’s ridiculous priced.

Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie)

I love granola! Goes great with so many things. :)

Tara @The Game of life

That granola looks amazing! I love to buy Costco’s granola, I think it has very similar things in it as this one! I definitely love having date nights with myself… my boyfriend has been working alot lately so I have just been cooking dinners alone which is new for me hah, and then I like to just chill and watch some tv :)

I love bison! Will you be posting that?

The granola looks awesome, too. I’m trying to keep my sugar low, so this is really awesome. I’m going to have to get some palm sugar.

Congrats on the FoodBuzz!

Diane

Your blog was just forwarded to me by a friend and I love it! Your receipes look really great, but is there any way you can include nutrition information? I like to know what I’m getting when I make something. Nine times out of ten, if there’s no nutrition info listed, I don’t make it. The main things I look at are calories, fat, carbs, sugar and vits & minerals.
Thanks for considering it!

Thanks for stopping by, Diane. I’m glad you like my recipes. I’ve been asked to include the nutrition information of my recipes by multiple readers, I tried it with my recipes last week and it was a huge success so I’ll be starting to do it on a lot more. Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll be sure to add the nutrition info for this granola later today, so be sure to check back!

Christina of Form V Artisan

You are the cutest, healthiest foodie out there.
You might not like me….I use a lot of butter.
Can we still be friends?

omg I love your comment. I was driving when I read this [probably not so safe] and started giggling. I replace butter with coconut oil in recipes, so yes, we can still be friends!

Gina

This granola looks so good! I love all of the dry fruit you incorporated into it :)

Natalia - a side of simple

You can NEVER ever have too many granola recipes, especially when it comes to GF ones!

Emily @ Life On Food

My time to myself is normally a bowl of cereal. Any night I don’t have to make dinner is a good night!

That’s a great way of looking at it, Emily! A bowl of cereal is definitely a go-to food at our house too.

Laura @FoodSnobSTL

I love having nights to myself. Unfortunately, it does not happen very often though.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey

This looks so good. I love granola!

Jess@HealthyExposures

You have done it again with this recipe – looks phenomenal :) I love dried apricots, too – right up my alley.
Glad to hear you were able to have a nice night to yourself. I can’t say I dislike having my family around, but it really is nice to just have the night to yourself once in a while!

Thank you Jess! It makes 4 cups of granola and I’m already down to 2. I see another granola recipe in our not so distant future.
I’m the same, I love having my family around, but it’s nice to have a moment to yourself here and there. Hope you’re having a fantastic Tuesday!

Firefly

I so need your dishes :D always so cute and pretty! And that granola looks awesome. I love granola and this one is perfect and healthy!

Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies)

oh i LOVE date nights with myself!!! i LOVE this granola- its so hearty and chunky!

dana @ my little celebration

This granola looks fantastic! I’ll have to give it a go as I’ve been looking for a new recipe to try.

Stacy @ LoveDiscoveryGratitude

I’m really happy to see you eat meat! What else do you eat? Just bison or chicken, turkey…? And do you eat a lot of it?

I’m happy I eat meat too! I feel SO good when I eat it. I was vegan for a long time, but it just wasn’t right for my body. I understand why people chose that lifestyle, it’s just not for me. So, meat… I eat salmon, chicken, beef, bison, lamb, turkey, deer, yak, eggs, and elk. I think that’s about it. I eat about 4-5 eggs a week, they fill me up perfectly. I don’t eat much chicken, just because I find I’m hungry an hour later. I would say I eat about 1/4-1/2 cup of meat daily, depending on how I’m feeling. I’m a very intuitive eater, so I just go with what my body tells me. All of the meat & eggs I buy are free range and organic when I can find them. I also chose to eat grass-fed and finished red meats. I hope that answers your question, Stacy!

Christie {Nourishing Eats}

That granola looks fab!! Nice deal you got on Bison. I have a meat CSA share so I get most of my meat there but I do love bison. It is one of the most allergy friendly meats there is and taste delish!!

I really need to find a meat CSA share. We eat so much of it at our house. Thanks for reminding me I need to do that! I find bison is the easiest to digest, I just love it!

Rebecca

Just to clarify – When you say “Cover with 2 inches of filtered water” in step #1, it means to cover the nuts entirely (not partially) with water as my large glass container may not be the same size as yours. I’m using a large bowl, but 2 inches of water won’t cover the nuts entirely.

Katie

YUM! This granola looks so delish! I am part of a mommy group now and this coul dbe fun to make for it at our next meet up!