Pumpkin Pie Quinoa Breakfast Casserole

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on February 12, 2011

Nothing says I love you like a bouquet of flowers just after you’ve told your girlfriend she is no longer allowed to bring liquids into your car.

Kevin was away on business this past week.

He drives a much nicer car than me. One could argue that the only reason his is better is because he takes care of his. The same cannot be said for me… but that’s beside the point.

So naturally, while he was away, I used his car.

We all know how much I love smoothies in the morning, and driving in his car was no exception to alter my morning routine.

Maybe I got a bit too excited when I reached for the cup in the cup holder.Whatever it was, it didn’t end well.

There was smoothie everywhere – in between the seat, down the seat belt buckle, all over my jeans…. everywhere.

If you know me, you know I’m extremely detail oriented in some aspects of my life [alphabetized movie collection, impeccably organized closets] but dreadfully horrible in others [cleaning 2 cups of spilled smoothie from the interior of a vehicle]

Needless to say, on Kevin’s drive home last night he found the 1.75 cups of smoothie I missed while cleaning up.

At least I got flowers out of it, right?

And to make up for it, I made him breakfast. A couple more winners like this and I’ll be back to drinking in his car in no time…

print, email or text this recipe

4.8 from 6 reviews

Pumpkin Pie Quinoa Breakfast Casserole
Author:
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 2 servings

This sweet and crunchy topped quinoa bake is the perfect way to start off the weekend. And heck, who doesn’t like the taste of dessert for breakfast?
Topping:
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350F and lightly oil a 4 cup casserole dish. [I used a small dab of coconut oil]
  2. In a small bowl combine all ingredients, minus the topping. Stir until fully mixed, then pour into prepared casserole dish.
  3. Cover with a tight lid and cook for 45-50 minutes.
  4. Meanwhile, combine all topping ingredients. After the 50 minutes are up, remove casserole from oven and sprinkle topping over top of the casserole.
  5. Return to the oven and cook uncovered for another 10-15 minutes, or until golden.
Notes
When you place the topping over the top, there should still be some liquid left in the dish. Baking it uncovered for the remaining of the cooking time will evaporate the liquid.

Do you take care of your car by cleaning it on a regular basis, never miss an oil change?

Or do you live on the wild side and leave the cleaning and maintenance for a ‘rainy day’?

Anda @ Cinna-moonBeams

Mmmm, pumpkin – right up my alley! Looks delish!

Kate @ Diethood.com

LOL!! I hope Kevin forgives you! :)
That bowl looks fantabulous! And delicious!

Jeanette

This looks amazing! What a terrific idea for quinoa in the morning, although this looks like it could just as easily be dessert.

Tara

Never miss an oil change, never clean the car. She runs good, she just doesn’t look nice :)

That bake looks awesome. I’ll have to see if I can trick Neil into trying it sometime!

sasha

Well that looks yummy and very healthy.

Gwen

Oops! ;) I’m totally OCD when it comes to organization and cleanliness but w 4 kids running around I’ve had to let some things slide so I won’t loose my sanity or kill someone! ;) I have to remind myself that cleaning w young children in the house is like shovling the driveway during a snow storm! my poor car is last on my ‘to clean’ list.
This breafast is going to be a frequent one in our house now! I love pumpkin & quinoa! Great topping too.
Thx for another great recipe!

Leanne

I can imagine what it’s like in your home with 4 kids. Cleaning would be the last thing on my mind!

The Farmers Wife

Hahaha!! This totally cracked me up! I am sure that he will be forgiving you very soon, and those flowers are gorgeous!

Kim - Liv Life

Love, love, love this!!! We made a breakfast quinoa, but it was more vanilla-like, I love the pumpkin in this one.
You and I sound very similar, and so does your man and mine! My husband would also be the one to find the 1.75% of the smoothies left in the car! And I would probably have thought that I had done a pretty good job cleaning it up too!
Keep up the good cooking… you’ll soon get the car back!! ;)

Sabrina

OMG! this looks wonderful!

Sara @CaffeIna

I love seeing more quinoa recipes on the blogsphere. I love quinoa but I have never made it for breakfast and this looks like an amazing breakfast…and an amazing way to treat my hubby when I do something wrong :)
Thanks for the double tip!

veggietestkitchen

wait, why did he send you flowers when he found the spilled smoothie?

Leanne

haha I guess so I wouldn’t be too upset when he broke the news to me? Any excuse to give me flowers, and I’m okay with it!

Red Deception

I just got my very first vehicle this fall. It’s a rough and tumble Jeep Patriot and it’s fairly new. Lucky for me, it even has heated seats! (Necessary for the cold Canadian winter).

However, since it is still new and it’s freezing out, the containers of Time Hortons, reciepts, and various kinds of candy are littering the inside. Perhaps I will clean it in the summertime.

I do have rules for the Jeep, though: No food, No drink, No pets on the seats. However, my dog manages to find her way onto the seats and my Mom drinks coffee in the front seat. Oh well. Can’t win ‘em all, eh?

Leanne

Congrats on the new vehicle, and good for you for setting rules. I totally know what you mean about the heated seats. We’re in Alberta [where are you?] – Kevin’s car has heated seats, mine doesn’t. In fact, my heat is broken. It only comes out warm and from the windshield vents :| brrrr…

Stefanie @TheNewHealthy

YUM! Ah, this looks so good–I can’t wait to try it! I’m a total clean freak when it comes to my house, but with my car? Eh, not so much! I keep it clean but I don’t clean it (or change the oil) nearly as often as I should! Luckily, I just got the oil changed on Friday–so I’m good for a while. :)

P.S. Spilling a smoothie in the car would be the worst thing every–and it’s something I would totally do! ;)

eizel

I have just started eating quinoa and didn’t know it could be made sweet… nice!

Leanne

Let me know how you like it, Eizel! Quinoa is very, very versatile.

Sarah (Flavoropolis)

You had me at crunchy topped. And a wheat free crunchy top? Made of almond flour that doesn’t burn as it cooks? With no refined sugar? It’s like you can read my mind!

Carrie (Moves 'N Munchies)

this is so so cool!!! i LOVE quinoa in it- i would have never though of quinoa for breakki!

kate@ahealthypassion

I know what im making for breakfast :)

Pumpkin makes everything better! :)

That reminds me… I need to get my car cleaned so they can get the smoothie off the interior of my driver’s side door…

Kiek @ Savor and Nourish

Leanne – This looks amazing. I love quinoa and pumpkin. I can’t wait to try it. And I’m on the rainy-day side of things. We’re an outdoor-active couple with two dogs. It’s literally impossible to have a clean car for longer than a week. Between the dirty kayak oars and muddy paws… what’s the point??

MarmandeintheKitchen

I recently started eating quinoa for breakfast and am such a big fan of it – so much better than oatmeal. I will definetly be giving this a try, looks delicious!

Kris | iheartwellness.com

Dang! I am sorry to hear about your smoothie “mess up” and I am also sorry to hear that that Kevin had a messy car ;) I understand dealing with a man who loves his car…..sigh

What a beautiful breakfast!! I am a HUGE quinoa fan and need to try this!!

xxoo

Jennifer

Mmm… quinoa, pumpkin, coconut oil – what a great, healthy combination! I have yet to try quinoa for breakfast, though I’ve wanted to for a while – this looks like a great recipe.

Kristina

I love this idea, seems so simple and mouthwatering!

Mama J

I’ve been meaning to try quinoa for breakfast. I think this will have to be the first way I try it in the AM. This looks delicious!

bhavani@ameanderingmango

So glad I found your blog! it’s full of great recipes and lots of useful information – thanks!
This recipes looks delicious! I’m a huge fan of pumpkins in sweet and savoury dishes – and quinoa is one of my favourite seeds/grains (not sure which one). I will have to try it out.

Lindsey @ trail to train

Ohhh you put together 2 of my favorite things, pumpkin pie and quinoa and I sort of just love you for that!!!!
I saw this in my 225 emails in my FoodBuzz inbox (not kidding) and this was the first one I clicked on!

Leanne

Good for you for only having 225 in your inbox, that’s so much better than mine! I can’t keep up with all the amazing recipes. I guess that’s a really good problem to have!

If you give the pumpkin quinoa a go you’ll have to let me know how you like it. It’s quickly become one of my favorites!

Denise

Wow, pumpkin and quinoa!! It sounds awesome. I am definitely trying this one soon!

Magretta

I will be making this quinoa this weekend. However, I have a question. Lately I see coconut milk and coconut oil being used often, many times in more healthful recipes. I have always thought that anything with the word “coconut” is bad for you and to stay away from it. In a reading labels workshop I remember it being a big no-no. Has the information changed? What are the advantages of coconut oil? Is it for taste? Why not canola?
Thanks for your answer.

Hi Magretta, I just wrote a post about the benefits of coconut a week or so ago, http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/2011/03/coconut-muffin-tops/
Coconut is much healthier than canola as it’s heat stable, increases your bodies ability to burn calories, and wont turn rancid when it’s heated (as canola oil does). Check out that post and let me know if you have any questions. Good luck with the quinoa bake!

Octavia

Hello Leanne,
I agree with you about coconut oil as being healthy. I have been using it for years for all my cooking needs. Also, I use coconut oil on my skin, in my hair, and after brushing my teeth. In my opinion, canola is not healthy. I have not read your article but I do agree with you. Also, I enjoy cooking with quinoa and I eat it regularly, especially the red quinoa. I just came across your recipe and I know that I will like it. I love your site. God bless you for your service!!!

Hi Octavia! Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment and sharing your thoughts :)

Shari

Hi Leanne,

This looks SO yummy! Quick question: Is there any good substitute for the coconut oil? I have everything else on hand, but not that. I have olive, canola and almond oil. Would the almond work?

Thanks!

Hi Shari, almond oil would be really nice in this. I’d say go with almond oil! Let me know how you like it :)

liz hietkamp

OK, i have no almond oil in the kitchen, and same as Shari, I don’t have any in the kitchen. Coconut sensitivity. I have olive, grapeseed, safflower – which of these would be good?

Grape seed would be best!

ptpotts

This looks awesome! Been browsing your blog all morning, lots of recipes to try!
I’m running my first full marathon this weekend, eep! So I’m definitely going to make that runner’s cookie. Good luck with your training!
This post made me smile – I, too, alphabetize movies (and CDs) (is there any other way, really?) and have a perfectly organized closet…
Thanks!

Margaret Spencer

I made this today and what a treat! It was still really wet after 30 minutes so I continued baking for another 15 minutes, then added the topping and baked an additional 15 minutes. I didn’t have almond flour so I ground oats and used hazelnuts, My topping did not look as pretty as yours but it tasted wonderful. I used stevia extract and 1/2 teaspoon of honey but I’ll leave the stevia out next time. It was just sweeter than I like.

Your site is lovely. Very glad I stumbled on it. Will be trying many more of your recipes so thanks for sharing.

Thanks for letting me know the changes you made! I’ll have to give the hazelnut topping a try, that sounds delicious!

Gail

I’ve been wanting to try quinoa, and this recipe has motivated me! Since I’ve never used (or tasted!) quinoa before…do I cook it first for this recipe?
Also, I couldn’t find almond flour. Can I make it by using my blender? Can I sub. another type of flour?
I’m not vegan, just trying to eat healthier.
Thanks for all the inspiration!

Hi Gail! Please let me know what you think about quinoa! You don’t have to cook it before hand. You can crush almonds yourself for this recipe, no problem.

alex

This sounds and looks great! I don’t have pumpkin puree but I do have sweet potatoes I can use so I’m going to try it with that.

marla

Linking to this one too tomorrow – LOVE!

I’m so honored! Can’t wait to see it up :)

bridget b.

This looks wonderful, I am going to try this weekend. I am so inspired by your site, so many fabulous recipes to try out. I’ve got to try your pumpkin smoothie as well!

Virtually Vegan Mama

I’m all over this one, I’m such a quinoa nut!

I’ll let you know how it turns out =)

xoxo

Jen

I think that I’ve printed out everyone of your recipes! I went grocery shopping to get the things that I need to make my week’s worth of meals that are primarily coming for your blog. I was wondering though, can I supplement TRUVIA for the maple syrup and if so how much would be equivalent to your measurements. Thank you for your help! And thank you for sharing your inspiring story and scrumptious recipes! :-)

Hi Andrea :) great to hear that you like my recipes! What’s on the plan for this week? It really depends on the recipe when replacing the stevia with maple syrup. If it’s a baked good, it could get a bit tough. If it’s something like a smoothie, stir-fry, or grain dish, you should be okay.

Thanks! I have quite a few of your breakfast dishes planned out…they sound delish! I made a protein smoothie and added oats into like you did in one of yours. I also had oatmeal with some pureed pumpkin and a little FAGE greek yogurt. So yummy! I have to say, I’m a little hesitant when it come to grains…I don’t think my belly likes them very much. I haven’t had them in a while and thought I’d give them a try again. (TMI alert) I get very bloated, distended, gassy, constipated and retain water. And then I end up having severe cravings for more and sweet stuff. It’s a vicious cycle. I’ve found that it’s better if I just stay away…but I wanted to try again. I did have a basic allergy test done at my doctors and everything came back in normal range. I think it has everything to do with the oral contraceptive that I’m taking. I was fine before I started…but bc my mother passed of ovarian cancer and my grandmother of breast cancer…my doctor stongly feels that I should be on it as a preventative…keeps the ovaries quiet. I do take a liquid Magnesium Citrate supplement and a mulitvitamin. I’ve tried all of the probiotics and prebiotics and it seemed to make me more constipated. Magnesium has been the only thing that has helped and of course limiting starchy carbs and grains. When I stumbled upon your blog I was intrigued by your story bc it sounded so similar to mine…except w/o the pain. I read how you where creating your meals and thought that I should give it another go…but I struggle with it. I wish that I could go off the pill, but I’m not sure if it’s worth the risk. So in the meantime, I continue to try and find balance and what works for my belly & digstive system. I’d like to find a good meal plan routine that works for me. There’s so much out there and am overwhelmed. I appreciate your blog and I look forward to reading what you post and your new recipes! :-)

Gina

Hi Leanne, found you through Becky. This sounds so great, I’ve been trying to find something tasty enough to get my daughter to revisit quinoa. She eat meat, but only occasionally and I’m always looking for recipes to get a little more protein in her.
-Gina-

Hi Gina, thanks for stopping by and saying hi :) Becky is fabulous, isn’t she? Have you tried giving your daughter fruit shakes made with pea protein, hemp protein, chia seeds, or sprouted rice protein? Usually kids have pretty good reactions to those proteins, provided your daughter isn’t allergic to peants. If she is, pea protein isn’t recommended when they’re under 5 or 6. Protein can be a tricky one for the little ones. I’ve heard a lot of moms have success with my quinoa flake bakes: http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/2011/04/apple-quinoa-flake-bake/ they replace 1/4 cup of the fruit puree with 1 egg. Best of luck!

heather

I made this recipe and it tasted great. loved the almond flour touch. my only thing is the quinoa took forever to cook and solidify in the oven. (more than 2 hours). next time i have to cook the quinoa beforehand, it’s just too long – do you have a suggestion on how much milk to add with cooked quinoa (since it won’t absorb it all like the uncooked does?).

I’m sorry it didn’t work for you Heather, did you keep it covered? Maybe the lid wasn’t tight enough? If you’re going to pre-cook maybe just 1/4-1/2 cup of milk would do the trick

Nadya

Heather – I just made it this morning, & used the ‘tip’ I learned with oven baking rice – bring some of the liquid to a boil first! I used! I used 1/4 C boiling water & 1/4 C chocolate hemp milk (yum!) … It turned out perfect (I covered for the first 1/2 hour, & then uncovered, as per inst) ….

I mixed my ‘dry ingredients’ first, & added ~ 1/4 C shredded coconut, some cacao nibs, & topped with a blend of toasted sunflower seeds/shredded coconut & the oil (skipped the extra maple syrup – did add some to the bake)

Leanne, I also the way you think/cook – SO much like what I do!!

Sounds really good! I like the changes you’ve made!

Mandy

I have tried this recipe and we love it!! I also love the raw blonde nanaimo bars. I plan on making more of your recipes! Thanks a bunch for doing this.

Oh I’m so glad you like them, Mandy!

Nadya

Oh my gosh! You cook like me – Whoot Whoot!
I adore quinoa, and just got a bag of sweet potatoes at the Farmers Market (gopher nibbled, so FREE from the farmer!!) …. I went GF 2 years ago w/ my daughter & her family. I babysit her 5 month old, & make her lunch most weekdays – this will be fun to share with her (w sweet p or squash)
I’m not great about keeping the car clean try to remember to be “timely” w/ oil changes, etc …
Last year my daughter & hubby passed me their old car when they inherited one. My granddaughters called “the stinky car” since they had spilled SEVERAL drinks in “mama’s
… I scrubbed, aired, spritzed w/ essential oils, aired, burned incense, and now its fine!
Their dad’s car was always cleaned out, and he’d tease my daughter “if you CARED about your car”…. but laundry?? Separate Farms from lights?? Doesn’t everyone have pink T-shirts and undies??

Nadya

Separate DARKS from lights! Silly spell check!

Bobbi

I just made this, and it was supposed to be for bfast tomorrow. I stuck a spoon in it to try and, and stuck it in again, and again. I may as well just eat it for dinner tonight. This is very yummy! Thank you so much for sharing!

Veronica

I just came across your site looking for a substitute recipe for a Baked Pumpkin Oatmeal that my daughter loved but can no longer eat since we realized she is allergic to oats after eating it. I made this today and it was great. The only changes I made were adding caramelized bananas in a little butter and coconut sugar (like the baked oatmeal recipe) and used diced walnuts instead of pecans for the topping. It was so good and my daughter loved it.

Veronica

I even liked it more than the Baked Oatmeal Recipe. I love Quinoa!

Hi Veronica – I’m so glad you liked the quinoa version more than the one with oats :) Thanks for sharing the changes you made to the recipe, caramelized bananas would work so well!

Cheryl

Thank you for sharing this recipe. It is delicious. My daughter and I are on an elimination diet (to figure out her food intolerances) and this is the tastiest dish we’ve eaten in four days. =)

LilahV

Question: Do you put the quinoa in pre-cooked or raw?

The quinoa is raw. Enjoy!

Diki

Hi this Pumpkin Pie Quinoa Bake looks really good and i’d like to try it but i’ve never heard of Quinoa, what is it and where do i find it please? Thanksâ˜ș!

Hi Diki – you can find it at many health food stores. Hope that helps!

Jaime

Looks amazing!!! Do you happen to know the nutritional info on this and the pumpkin smoothie? Hopefully I didn’t just overlook it!

Hi Jaime – They’re both older recipes so they’re not listed. If you wanted to get a ballpark idea of the nutrition info of these recipes, about.com has a pretty good calculator. Enjoy ;)

C Max

So if our house is a no nut kind of place (nut allergies), can cow dairy and wheat flour be used instead of the almond products? As for the pecans, I’ll sub them with toasted seeds.

Yes, I’m sure they can although I haven’t tried it. You could use a cobbler-type topping with rolled oats, too!

Holly

What is calories, carbs, fat ect? In this dish?

Hi Holly, if I haven’t listed the nutrition information for the recipe within the post, it’s best to use a tool like LiveStrong or about.com to calculate the values. All of my newer recipes have the details, but older ones like this one do not. I hope this helps!

4virtu

Happy Tasty Tuesday! We love this recipe and it is featured on our Favorite Pumpkin Recipes for Autumn! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the feature, and for letting me know!

Kathy

OH MY GOSH!!! I can’t wait to make this!!! Thank you!

Kathy

It was soooooooooo good, thank you!!!!

Sarah

Just found this recipe earlier in the fall. Made it last week and loved it! Ate it with sliced bananas and blueberries on top & of course a little drizzle of maple syrup. Second batch is in the oven right now! Thanks for posting such awesomeness!

Hey Sarah – so glad that you liked it and are already making a second batch. Too awesome! Enjoy!

Jenny

I doubled this recipe because I have a larger casserole dish, and it seemed to take double the time to bake as well! After I got it out of the oven and let it sit for a few minutes, I found it was just as delicious as I hoped! Thanks!

That’s great, I’m happy that you enjoyed it, Jenny!

chadcaluza

Just tried this recipe this morning!! It was AMAZING! I reposted it on my website – http://www.itsajuicerevolution.com Check it out! Thanks again for the great recipe! :)))

I’m so happy that you liked it and thanks for sharing my recipe on your blog. I ask however that since none of the ingredients were changed if you wouldn’t mind linking people to my recipe versus listing the full recipe on your site. I hope you understand :)

chadcaluza

yes of course!

Awesome, thanks a bunch :)

Diane

Can you use coconut milk instead of almond milk?

I haven’t tried it personally, but I’m sure that you could. Enjoy, Diane!

Ellen

Made this last nigth for breakfast today. Very good, sweet enough and very filling. Nice change from the ubiquitous fruit smoothie I’ve been having!

denise

hmmm. mine bubbled up about 2 inches and made a burned mess of the casserole dish. Oven temp was at 350 on thermometer. Your casserole dish looks awfully clean–any ideas why mine bubbled up and burned on the sides of the dish?

I used canned organic pumpkin pie mix and omitted the spices. Used less maple syrup as the canned organic pumpkin pie mix has evaporated cane syrup in it already, but it was still too sweet. Will leave maple syrup out if I use canned organic pumpkin pie mix again. I will reduce the maple syrup in topping next time too as that as pretty sweet. And I used walnuts.

I don’t eat a lot of sugar anyways, so my sweet tooth doesn’t need much to be overwhelmed. :- ) Need to try this again and play with it as it is easy to make.

Hi Denise! It sounds like perhaps your lid wasn’t tight enough. Also, I believe I worked really, really hard at cleaning the inside of the dish before the photo shoot for this recipe!

Liz

Does this recipe hold up well overnight? I would like to prepare this for the week but I’m sure how it will reheat!

Waloo

This was a great recipe, made/ate it today:)
Thanks!

I am so very happy that you enjoyed it :)

Shelley

I made this today. It tasted great, but took a really long time for the water to be absorbed. I put the topping on anyway and it sort of got absorbed by into the dish instead of staying on top. There was just too much moisture. I cooked with the topping on for about 45 minutes and all the water was still not absorbed. Maybe less water? It did taste yummy anyway.

Hi Shelley – did you use quinoa, or another grain perhaps? Have you tested the temperature of your oven lately? Did you notice that the water was boiling in the casserole dish? At that heat, it should have boiled after about 10 minutes.

Becca

Warning: The “pinned” version of this recepie used shorter cooking times – 30min in oven (not 45-50) before adding the topping. Per those pinned directions, I glopped the topping into a wet mess to cook uncovered for 15 mins. Then I found the original site which used longer cooking times altogether. So I had to re-cover to cook longer.

Some other issues – it’s hard to find the right size casserole dish for this job, so I used a bread pan. I recommend putting in BIG letters somewhere that this recipient requires a casserole dish, period–no substitutions.

So almost an hour later I’m still cooking and rather frustrated by the lack of clarity in the instructions. After reading the comments I’m pretty sure we’ll be drinking this “bake”!

Hey Becca – sounds like someone copied my recipe and posted it to Pinterest. It was not a post sponsored by Healthful Pursuit. Sorry for the mix up.