- 4 egg yolks
- 2.25 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 – 400mL can of full-fat coconut milk – see note
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoon pure gluten-free vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg – see note
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch allspice
- My Mom taught me to separate the whites from yolks using this method. By far the easiest way!
- Place egg yolks in a small mixing bowl and set aside
- Combine remaining ingredients in a medium sized saucepan and bring to a simmer on medium heat.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Slowly add approximately ¼ cup of the hot liquids to the egg yolks while whisking continuously. Continue until you’ve added about one cup of the liquid mixture to the egg yolks before transferring the yolks to the pot.
- Bring back up to medium heat and whisk while simmering for 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately or pour in a mason jar and refrigerate.
- Best sprinkled with a touch of ground cinnamon and nutmeg!
Spread the love, earn karma points:
If you are paleo, look for guar gum free coconut milk (easily found in the ethnic isles of many grocery stores!)
Also, to lower the fat content in this drink, use lite coconut milk as opposed to full-fat.
If you plan on drinking the eggnog right away, opt for less nutmeg (1/2 teaspoon is best). If you’re planning on letting it sit for 1-2 days before enjoying, go with 1 teaspoon. I found that the longer it sat, the more the flavor developed instead of hitting you with a strong punch of nutmeg!
Nutrition Information Per Serving
- Calories: 343
- Calories from Fat: 253
- Total Fat: 28.1
- Saturated Fat: 20.8 g
- Cholesterol: 210> mg
- Sodium: 825 mg
- Carbs: 19.6 g
- Dietary Fiber: 0.9 g
- Net Carbs: 18.7 g
- Sugars: 13.8 g
- Protein: 5.4 g