For an introduction to this weeks’ salad challenge, check out this post.
Day two of our challenge and I just had to begin by posting my favorite of all the recipes I’ll be sharing this week.
I know, I should have probably worked up to my favorite, but I couldn’t help myself.
Maybe I’ll change my mind come Friday?
I’ve probably made this salad half a dozen times already, going back to it again and again because it’s just so darn easy. It’ll take you 20 minutes from start to sweet + creamy finish – a definite win in my books!
- 6 cups fresh broccoli florets, steamed for 3 minutes
- 7 strips uncured beef bacon, cooked fully and then chopped
- ½ cup sun dried tomatoes, sliced thin
- ¼ cup dried currants
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup of red onion, chopped
- Lightly steam the broccoli for 2-3 minutes, just until the florets are crisp tender. This is optional, I just find broccoli easier on my digestion when it’s lightly steamed. Place in a large bowl and set aside.
- Fry bacon as per package instructions. Be sure to cook until crisp. We like beef bacon because it’s higher in protein, easier on digestion, a has less fat. Plus it tastes so good! Once cooked, set on a paper towel lined plate. Pat dry and break up into small pieces.
- Add bacon, sun dried tomatoes, currants, sunflower seeds and red onion to the broccoli bowl.
- In a separate small bowl, combine dressing ingredients and stir until incorporated. Pour over the broccoli mix and stir to coat.
- Serve with a sprinkle of fresh parsley and enjoy!
View Nutritional Information (once on page scroll down)
We decided to head to the mountains yesterday as a spur-of-the-moment thing. I knew that both of us would be hungry the minute we hit the road – isn’t that always the way it works? So I whipped up a quick batch of this salad for me, and a big bowl of tuna and veggies for Kevin.
We enjoyed our salads on the road to Kananaskis before we endured a chilling hike near Wasootch creek.
It actually wasn’t that bad, I just exaggerate.
The sun was shining but there was a terrible wind. But once we got further into the valley it lightened up a bit and was quite lovely!
This is the face of a man who claims I didn’t feed him enough before we headed out. If only he would have had the broccoli salad!
Darn his aversion to dried fruit!
Because really, I don’t go anywhere without a snack in my pocket, common’ now!
Going out to the mountains was a perfect way to end our Christmas break. But (unfortunately) we’re back to the grind today! I guess I’m excited to get back to a routine, but am sad to say goodbye to lounging around in my pajamas until noon.
Are you going back to the office after an extended time away during the holidays?