I feel like the box should say:
DANGER contains chocolate.
When Alina at Enjoy Life told me they were sending me a couple of their new allergy-friendly chocolate products, I jumped for joy, then quickly started planning a recipe.
As soon as the box came in the mail, I opened the bag inconspicuously and grabbed a huge handful of mega chunks. By the time I’d taken these pictures, at least half the bag was gone…
Semi-sweet chocolate mega chunks
Dangerous. I think I ate a quarter of the bag in one sitting. They’re not as sweet as normal chocolate chips and only have 3 ingredients: Evaporated Cane Juice, Natural Chocolate Liquor (non-Alcoholic), Non-dairy Cocoa Butter. No soy!
I really have nothing bad to say about these chips in all honesty.
Double chocolate crunch granola
I recently bought a bag of Enjoy Life cinnamon crunch granola and couldn’t believe how sweet it was. I was a bit hesitant to try the double chocolate version, until I looked at this:
You see that? 4g of sugar?! Compared to the 11g in their cinnamon version.
My favorite way to eat this granola is as a topping over my bowl of oats or buckwheat with a couple tablespoon of flax mixed in [the granola is pretty low in fiber, so adding flax will help boost your fiber intake!].
So, what recipe did I created for these products?
A quinoa bake of course!
- ½ cup quinoa flakes
- ¼ cup fresh avocado, mashed
- 1 flax egg [1 tablespoon freshly ground flax + 3 tablespoon water]
- 8 almonds, smashed
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar [optional – it’s great without it!]
- 1 tablespoon cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon of chia seeds
- handful of chocolate chunks [you can try making your own too! Recipe below]
- cocoalmond mania butter, strawberries, and almonds.
- Prepare a 16oz. microwave/oven safe dish by oiling with a dab of coconut oil. Set aside. Drop all ingredients in a small bowl and mix until fully incorporated. Press mixture into prepare dish and even out with fork.
- Microwave option: Place in the microwave and cook for 3½ minutes. You’ll know when it’s done when it rises slightly, is harder to the touch, and pulls away from the sides of the dish. Don’t bake it too long, or you’ll have a chocolate Frisbee!
- Oven option: Place in a preheated oven at 350F and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow to rest for 1 minute before tipping over onto a plate and smothering with your favorite toppings.
View Nutritional Information (once on page scroll down)
- Mix all ingredients except almond butter in a small bowl until all lumps are gone. Pour mixture into 2 silicon muffin tins and top with almond butter. Place in the freezer for 5 minutes. Remove from freezer and chop.
I had no idea if using avocados as a replacement for some of the flax egg was going to work, but it did! I’m always left with so many rotten avocados at the end of the week so I’ll have to play around with this in other recipes.
Perfect consistency, dense and delicious!
Topped with just a bit of granola goes a long way!
Have you tried Enjoy Life products? If so, what’s your favorite?
What’s the best thing you’ve gotten in the mail lately?