I am big on homemade fries with coconut oil. There was a period in my life, not so long ago, where all I’d eat for dinner were fries.
Don’t get me wrong, potatoes are an amazing vegetable. They’re high in vitamin C, fiber, their easy on the digestive system, and high in vitamin b6 [great for any of you ladies out there experiencing PMS… maybe that’s why I like potatoes so much!]. But, like anything, too much of a good thing turns out to be not so good in the long run.
Variety is the key to health, so eating fries and coconut oil daily; even though they’re homemade, isn’t so healthful.
I’ve since minimized my consumption to once per week and now enjoy them accompanied by a salad. I think that’s fair.
Last night began like any other night. I was in the kitchen making dinner [it was fries night, yay!], and Kevin was strolling around the house taking pictures of things.
While passing by the kitchen Kevin said “Wouldn’t it be cool if you could make me apple fries? Mmm those would be good”… he had something there.
I hummed and hawed, then it came to me. Coated apple fries. How glorious!
The more fiber we pair with fruit, the better. So, I decided to pack the crunchy outer layer with highly fibrous ingredients.
- 2 granny smith apples, sliced – keep the peel on!
- ½ can organic full fat coconut milk
- ½ cup walnuts
- ½ cup almond flour
- 2 tablespoon cinnamon
- ½ cup flax
- Organic real maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350F
- In a food processor, combine walnuts, almond flour, cinnamon, and flax. Process until walnut pieces are small.
- Move mixture to a shallow bowl.
- Pour coconut milk into a shallow bowl.
- Drop all apple slices into the coconut milk.
- Remove 1 apple slice at a time from the coconut milk [doing this with a spoon works best so the mixture doesn’t get too wet] and drop in the walnut mixture.
- Place each slice on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until golden and crispy – mine took 17 minutes
- Serve with maple syrup
View Nutritional Information (once on page scroll down)
What’s your favorite go-to dinner?