The Complete Guide to Eating Healthy

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on February 14, 2013

Healthy-Eating---Main

What do you struggle with most when it comes to healthy eating?

From your emails, comments and our interactions on Facebook, you’ve told me that you’re challenged by the time commitment, late night snacking, the cost, cravings, the stress of it all…

If any of these roadblocks are standing in the way of you embracing a healthy eating style, then this guide is absolutely perfect for you!

I’ve spent days compiling resources and adding in my personal tips where ever possible to this online book. And the best part? The solutions to your struggles don’t have to be expensive, overwhelming or complicated.

Are you ready to learn how to eat healthy using these easy and inexpensive tips?

Let’s get down to business!

Healthy-Eating---Main-2

The Complete Resource Book on How to Eat Healthy

Here’s how it works: When you click on one of the chapter links below, you’ll be directed to your selected chapter without refreshing the page. So, pick which chapter you’d like to get started with and have at ‘er!

If you like this resource book, please pass it on to your friends by sharing on Facebook or Tweeting it. And sign up for Healthful Pursuit updates for more healthy eating tips!

Healthy-Eating-6

Chapter 1: How to Stock your Pantry and Fridge with Healthy Food

If you have unhealthy food in the house… you will eat it.

When I made the commitment to eat healthier I divided my pantry and fridge up into two sections: healthy and unhealthy. As soon as an unhealthy item was finished, I replaced it with something new, or learned how to make it from scratch, and put it in the healthy section. I did not throw things away but rather picked away at it until I had only healthy things around me.

Here are some of my favorite resources for filling your pantry and fridge with healthy food:

Healthy-Eating-5

Chapter 2: How to Eat Healthy and Save Money

Eating healthy can be expensive… but it can also be super inexpensive, too. Refined packaged goods can set you back hundreds of dollars whereas a bowl of cooked grains, seasonal vegetables and a cooked bean, lentil or lean ground meat can be cheaper… if done right. Here are a couple of awesome tips on how to eat healthy and not go broke while doing it:

Healthy-Eating-4

Chapter 3: How to Prepare Meals in Advance

The key to sticking to a healthy eating style is in the preparation. Simple, easy and effective strategies for food prep can save you money, stress and time. I double up when I’m making a casserole and prepare two or three of the same thing. The leftovers can be frozen and reheated on the fly… a huge help after a long day.

Here are a couple of my favorite meal preparation resources:

Healthy-Eating-3

Chapter 4: Using the Same Ingredient Multiple Ways

Each week, I buy 5 different vegetables, 2 different proteins and 1 type of starch. Then I eat those items in as many ways as possible – in a curry, stir-fry, soup, salad, roasted, barbecued… When you have a nicely stocked spice cabinet and pantry this strategy can save you money and time.

Here are a couple of tips I use to spice things up in the kitchen:

Healthy-Eating-2

Chapter 5: Make Breakfast Ahead of Time

Starting your day with a healthy breakfast helps you make healthy choices for the rest of the day… but when there are buses to catch, kids to feed, and an office to get to, taking the time to eat healthy often gets pushed to the sidelines.

My trick? Breakfasts that can be made ahead of time for quick, on the go, consumption.

Healthy-Eating-1

Chapter 6: Quick Snacks that Curb Cravings

The more consistent you are with healthy eating, the better you’ll become at it and the less cravings you’ll experience. The key to eliminating cravings is to:

• Prepare snacks that taste good. If you’re snacking on food that’s less than inspiring, you’ll be more inclined to reach for something that tastes better and makes you feel good.
  • Eat fiber. Fiber keeps you fuller, longer. A sprinkle of ground flax seed on a fruit salad, or a handful of nuts with some chocolate chips can go a long way.
  • Make healthier versions of your favorite treats. Coconut oil on your popcorn instead of the artificial butter stuff, sweet potato fries instead of potatoes, single serving cake in a cup instead of a full cake…

I’ve prepared each of these snacks countless times and can attest to how simple and satisfying they are!

Healthy-Eating-10

Chapter 7: How to Make Healthy Lunches

Salads rock. They’re easy to put together, are extremely versatile and highly forgiving. Throw a bunch of random things in a bowl and call it a salad!

Here are some of my personal tips on how to rock your lunch salad:

• Use leftovers like roasted vegetables: Roasted Vegetables | For the Love of Food
  • Throw in some homemade crackers for crunch: Grain-free Thyme and Onion Crackers | Healthful Pursuit
  • Keep a bunch of this salad dressing on hand at all times: Smokey Bear Salad Dressing | Healthful¬† Pursuit
  • Who said salads had to have greens? Rainbow Citrus Slaw | Real Food Real Deals
  • Any protein is fare game. Use a combination of leftover chicken, beans or fish.
  • Throw in leftover pilaf, risotto, whatever grain you have.

Healthy-Eating-8

Chapter 8: Inexpensive 30 Minute Meals

You don’t have to go broke when you choose to eat healthy or commit to spending your life in the kitchen. Here are a couple of great recipes, tips and guides on how to make yummy, healthy meals for cheap and continue living your life!

Healthy-Eating-9

Chapter 9: How to Travel and Stay Healthy

All is fine and dandy when you’re at home, but when you have to take healthy living on the road; out into the real world, it can be a bit overwhelming… but it doesn’t have to be!

Traveling healthy is actually pretty simple. Whether you’re able to bring healthy food along with you, or you simply need tips on how to make the healthiest choices with what restaurants are available to you, know that you can always make a healthy choice no matter where you are or what you’re doing.

Healthy-Eating-7

Bonus Chapter: Free Meal Plans

If you’re not creative, get overwhelmed at having to come up with day after day of healthy things to eat, meal plans are for you! And while being gluten-free can make things a tad bit more complicated, here are four solid, gluten-free meal plan resources to help you along your healthy eating journey:

Do you know of a resource that I could add to this resource book? Awesome! Add a comment below with the link!

Erica { EricaDHouse.com }

Woah. You have totally outdone yourself here. This post is amazing! Bookmarking to give to anyone in the future who asks how to get started eating healthy. I can’t wait to go through all the links, but I already recognized many of my favorite bloggers on there!

Thanks Erica! It was super fun to organize it all. I would love it if you’d share it with people. That would mean so much to me!

Valerie

Such a great job you still made ! This post is absolutely amazing ! This way to tackle the recipes is very discerning. As usual I have an obsession on the breakfast section and am very interested in the tips “To travel”. Thanks Leanne

Thanks Valerie! There’s a specific article on backpacking that you would love! I hope everything’s going well with you :)

Hooooooly smokes, you have totally outdone yourself Leanne!! This is absolutely awesome and I know so many people (myself included!) are going to benefit from it. Tweeting now!

Thanks for sharing it with everyone, Ange! I’m so happy that you like the guide… I tried to think of everything!

Kris

Leanne, I’ve been reading your blog for a long time (and loving it), but I think this might be my favourite post of all in terms of resources. It’s fantastic! I’m studying naturopathic medicine and am always looking for new ideas for myself and to put into my toolkit for when I practice. Thanks so much for all the work you put into this!

Hey Kris! I didn’t know you were studying naturopathic medicine, that’s amazing. I’ve been to your blog a couple of times, thanks for mentioning my posts and recipes these last couple of weeks. I’m honored that you feel that this guide is helpful enough to bring into your practice. Thanks for stopping by and saying hi!

Josie

What a fantastic post! I just know I’m going to come back to this one again and again – what a great resource.

Thanks Josie! I’m happy that you see value in it! Hope you’re having a great evening :)

Hallie @ Daily Bites

What a wealth of information! Thanks so much for including the link to 52 Ways to Eat Kale. It’s one of my favorite posts of all time. :)

Your kale post is amazing! Way to go on that, wow. It just HAD to be in this guide!

Caroline

I’m so thrilled about this! Thank you for compiling these resources!

Thrilled, nice! That makes me very happy, Caroline. Hope you’re having a great night!

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance

Wow–what a great guide that has a wealth of resources! I love this! :)

Rosanna

Always love your posts!.. Great guide and thank you for helping us stay in shape! Happy Valentine’s Day to you!

Thanks Rosanna! So great that you enjoy my posts. Happy Valentine’s Day to you, too!

Heather

My hero! You totally swooped in and saved me, as I’ve been getting really down lately about the time and expense devoted to healthy eating. Luckily, the benefits have outweighed these annoyances so far, but your comprehensive guide is definitely going to help me stay on track and learn how to do this the right way! I cannot wait to read every word. You’re an absolute rock star, Leanne! :)

You’re the rock star! It’s fabulous that; even though you’ve been a bit discouraged lately, you’re persevering through the difficult bits. I’m so happy that you feel that this guide will help you on your journey :)

Mikelle

Leanne~ I am blown away by this post!!! What a Valentine’s Day gift for your readers :) There is so much information and inspiration here. You really brings so much value to your readers. Thanks :)

Thanks, Mikelle! Valentine’s Day… we often forget to take care of ourselves and love us for us! Hopefully this guide will help everyone take a moment to take care of #1. Thanks for your kind words about my work, it means a lot :)

Kelly @ Inspired Edibles

Looking forward to working my way through this wealth of information. Thanks for your ongoing commitment to health and wellness Leanne and for making the information accessible to all – you rock.

Happy Hearts!

Wow, thanks Kelly!

Fiona G

I always think that instant oats are a waste of time.
Put regular oats in a bowl, add water (or milk) and microwave on high for 1 – 2 minutes. Stir. Repeat.
It gets cooked perfectly fine.
I used to do this while I got dressed in the morning.
If I was riding to work, I’d just put the dry oats in a microwave safe container, put it in my backpack, and microwave when I got to work. Cut up an apple into it, and its delicious.

Fiona G

One other thing I’ve done, specifically when hiking and camping, is prepare a large bowl of muesli. I included things that could be eaten raw or soaked, like puffed amaranth and rice, oats, nut, seeds, etc. I made a big batch and added protein powder to it. I’d put it in zip-loc bags then, when I rolled out of my tent in the morning, I literally just had to add water to the zip-loc bag, and breakfast was ready.
You could probably use milk powder too, if you’re ok with dairy.

Thanks for sharing your strategies, Fiona. That’s awesome!

Jessica @ Dairy Free Betty

How awesome is this!?!?!?!? Holy a lot of work went into this, but thank you – I’m going to spend my morning going through them!! :) Thank you & Happy Valentine’s Day! :)

Haha yes… it was a lot of work… but SO worth it when I get comments like yours! Hope you enjoyed reading it today :)

Beth @ Tasty Yummies

What an incredible wealth of amazing information Leanne!! I will most certainly be sharing this link with my readers.
Thanks for including my overnight chia pudding recipe, too!! xoxo

Thanks Beth! I am so happy that I got to add you to it and I very much appreciate you passing this guide along to your readers! Happy Valentine’s Day!

Tamikko

What an amazing list to refer to when needed. This will save me when I just can’t think of what to do. I have a knack for knowing what to do when I’m hungry but completely forgetting what to do when I’m there. I go blank. You bet I’ll be using this several times a day. Your amazing Leanne!!!! Thank you for compiling all this info in one easy to use list for us. This satisfies the foodie, organization junkie in me and makes me so happy.

Wow, awesome that you’re hoping to use this guide time and time again to fill in the blanks!

Suzanne @RollWithIt

This is superb Leanne! What a wonderful resource and I can’t wait to share!

Thanks for being open to sharing it, Suzanne! That means so much to me!

Madeleine

What an amazing resource! You are so generous to provide this information for free.

There is something here for everyone! From listening to my body (thanks to using your food journal!!), I’ve moved away from the vegan, wholegrains diet to a more paleo style of eating, but there is still plenty of stuff here I can use!

Wow, that’s so great to hear that food journaling helped you figure out that the eating style you’d selected for yourself just wasn’t working. How cool. Thank you so much for sharing that with me… makes all my work SO worth it :)

Madeleine

Thanks Leanne
I should have thanked you earlier on your awesome food journal! I’ve used it a number of times to help me understand what my body likes (and doesn’t like) and to track my progress on my various diet experiments (sugar detoxes, paleo etc)
It’s a bloody amazing tool! I heartily recommend it and have recommended it on my own blog.

Wow, that’s awesome. It’s so great to hear people’s experiences of how these tools work for them!

janet @ the taste space

Great compilation of links, Leanne. I made a list of my top money saving tips for plant-based here (alogn with a great Greek lentil soup recipe): http://tastespace.wordpress.com/2012/09/21/greek-red-lentil-soup-with-lemon-and-rosemary-and-how-to-save-money-as-a-vegan/

Thanks for sharing this link, I’ll check it out and see where it could possibly fit into the guide. Thanks!

Seraphina

Dear Leanne, this is wonderful! I have already picked up a lot of the tips over the years (necessity from being a vegan student living in London, far from home) so this will be a great help, especially for my friends! Thanks so very much for the thorough work and thought that went into this! (:

Hi Seraphina – it would mean so much to me if you shared this guide with your friends! Thank you for your kind words :)

Dayanna

WOW! this is an amazing and helpful post.
Thanks so much Leanne for doing what you do – always a pleasure reading your blog! :)

Thank you, Dayanna :) Thanks for coming on here every day and sharing your comments with our little community here!

This is such a helpful guide! Thanks for all the work you put into this, Leanne. I’m definitely going to be referring back to this often.

So happy that you see the value in the guide, Andrea :)

Ashley

Awesome this is an amazing, source. Thank you so much. This can encourage anybody and help anyone!

Jenny @ BAKE

Thanks for including my site! this has been a really interesting read!

You put together a great piece. I’m happy that I could feature it, Jenny :) Have a great weekend!

Kelly

Thanks for linking up to our site! What a great outlined resource you have here!

You’re most welcome, Kelly! I’m happy that I came across your blog in my search for the best content for this resource. It fit SO well here!

Jessica

I already thought you were the best before you wrote this post.

Now I know it.

Thanks a MILLION, Leanne!

*she takes a bow* Why thankya ;)

Holly

Thanks for this. I’m definitely bookmarking it for reference when I need to re-jump-start healthy eating habits!

That’s great to hear, Holly!

Scott @ The Healthy Eating Guide

Great stuff, Leanne. I was just reading a research study (2012 Food and Healthy Survey) that said the 5 biggest Contributors to Unhealthy Lifestyles:
1. Lack of time
2. Cost of healthy foods/exercise equipment
3. Fast food
4. Too much screen time
5. Lack of awareness about food choices

This post seems to address all of these…will definitely share w/ my followers!

Sounds like a great study! Thanks for sharing it on the blog with everyone, that’s great. Too much screen time… I’m definitely guilty of that. Having a fridge full of healthy food definitely helps :)

Brittany

This is such an amazing resource Leanne! Thank you for including a link to my tips for healthy traveling. I really appreciate it. :)

Ligmie

I just finished a juice cleanse and went back to solids and the experience was not good. I didn’t do enough research and preparation to ease back into solids and my stomach paid the price. I have bookmarked this BLOG post and will use this as my guide. Thanks for taking the time :)