The Romance of Quebec City

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on February 26, 2013

QuebecCity5

Regardless of the intense weather conditions this past weekend, Kevin and I packed up the car with healthy snacks and audiobooks and made our way up North for our first visit to Quebec City.

It was a lovely (snowy) day filled with beautiful sights, fogged up camera lenses and great eats.

Here are some of the shots that we took along the way…

QuebecCity3

QuebecCity4

QuebecCity2

Quebec City (65)

*great gluten-free friendly restaurant*

QuebecCity     Quebec City (36) Quebec City (61) Quebec City (59) Quebec City (55)

*our first maple taffy experience!*

Quebec City (19)

Have you been to Quebec City?

Sarah, Simply Cooked

So gorgeous! My honeymoon was in January in Quebec City. It was cold, snowy, and wonderful. We loved the little lanes, cafes, shops, and galleries to look in. We ate a memorable meal in a restaurant called Toast and stayed in a cozy auberge just outside the old city walls. I’m glad you loved it, too!

Wow, I could totally see Quebec City being a fabulous place to honeymoon. Great choice, Sarah!… and congratulations :)

Erica { EricaDHouse.com }

That does look romantic! I’m hoping to make it to Canada within the next year or so as my first international trip. Would this be the city you’d most recommend visiting?

Oh man… my favorite city in Canada… ah, that’s a tough question. I would have to say my favorite place in this amazing country (I’ve been across the WHOLE country except the East coast) is Vancouver. But it depends on what type of trip you’re looking to take…

dawn shelton

Maple Taffy?! that sounds crazy! what was it? just poured over ice?
thanks for the pics. looks so inviting!

Gabi

Maple Taffy (Tire d’érable in french) simply is maple syrup heated to a certain degree of temperature and poured on snow. You let it stand a few secs and then roll it up on a wooden stick. Very, very sticky and delicious!

Monique

Yes, this is a tradition here in Quebec. We look forward to it when spring comes.

Michelle

This little village looks so quaint, what a nice weekend retreat! I adore the photos of you and Kevin shooting each other. :) Except I can’t reconcile your coat – though I love the color, it can’t possibly be warm enough. Unless it’s one of those snow things were it’s not actually that cold because the humidity is low and the cloud cover is holding out the wind. Down here in Georgia, we haven’t had anything beyond cold, blowing rainy blechiness, wouldn’t mind a little snow if it didn’t mean EVERYTHING shutting down for days. (I wish I were joking.) Sure would be nice if a trip to Quebec City was in my near future!

Monique

It is not really a village. It’s Petit Champlain which is situated in the lower part of Old Quebec City … which is only a small part of Quebec City which is the second largest city in the province of Quebec, with its population close to 700,000.

Thanks for replying to these questions, Monique!

Michelle

Oh yeah! I tried doing that maple taffy thing one time when I was a kid living in Michigan because I’d read about it in Laura Ingalls Wilder’s Little House on the Prairie series. It. Didn’t. Work… Because we didn’t pack the snow! Haha! Was it good?

I’d read it in those books, too! I’ve ALWAYS wanted to do it?!?! It was everything I ever thought it would be. It was a dream come true. I loved it. LOVED it!

Wow, you weren’t kidding when you said it was gorgeous and romantic! I’ve never been to Quebec City, nor have I had maple taffy but it looks tasty. I’d like to swap places with Michelle (above) and head down to Georgia because I’ve had enough of this snow!

We could go when you come to visit! I bet it’ll be really nice in May!!

Kevin

Quebec City is really pretty. Too bad it was so cold!

Monique

We make jokes about Quebec City having only two seasons : winter and July ;) Even May may be not this cold but still not quite as warm as Montreal.

Karen

Love! Love ! Love your photographs!

Thanks Karen!

sophie

Beautiful pictures! Awesome that you wen to Le Lapin Saute!
Great of you guys to brave the cold ;) I know I sound like a broken record…but make sure to return in the summer for the Cirque du Soleil show under the over-pass ;) Bisous!

Such a great recommendation ;) it was amazing. Yes, it’s definitely on our list of places to go this Summer. I’ve never been to a Cirque du Soleil show so we’ll for sure go! Maybe we’ll see ya there?

Tatiana

Love Quebec city, even if I do prefer the energy of Montreal.
I’m French and studied in Sherbrooke, but I spend most of my free time and a summer in Montreal.
I’m currently looking into the process of imigrating to Quebec, and I think, to Montreal :)

A nice flat in “Le Plateau” or in the nice district behind McGill sounds nice to me.

Wow, moving here would be fabulous! It is a pretty great place, that’s for sure. I’ve heard great things about the Le Plateau area. I wish we would have known about it before we moved here!

Jessica

Yes! I have to say, my favourite bit was the poutine. :)

Also, taffy on snow; my grandmother used to make it every Christmas – so Canadian. Love it!

*drool* poutine. They should really make it with daiya cheese.

Dianne

Le Lapin Saute is my favourite restaurant in Quebec city. I eat there more than any other restaurant!

I can see why! It was ridiculous good. What’s your favorite dish?

Shel@PeachyPalate

Looks gorgeous! Never been! What’s it like in terms of catering for vegans? Always my number one question!

You know what, Shel… I’m not sure! There wasn’t much at the restaurant we went to… but I’m sure there were other restaurants in the city for vegans. Everyone seemed very adaptable and friendly!

Carol Lovett

I love Quebec City but in the summer time!

Adina | Gluten Free Travelette

Oh my gosh – it’s so cute! Just added it to my places to go list!

Steph

Beautiful pics! Did you get to see much else? La Citadelle is not too far away and the shopping in the city is great… :)

Christina

My husband and I are taking a vacation from the Arctic (Northwest Territories) to Quebec city in April. Your photos sure amped my enthusiasm! So nice to see a light coat rather than the heavy Goose parkas we wear here. We are heading to Montreal after – would love if you did a post on a gourmet/walking/sightseeing tour in Montreal and some specialty food stores you would recommend :)

Liz

I live NOWHERE near there, but your pictures make me wish I did! It looks, dare I say, “magical”? It almost looks fake, like it’s a movie set, or something people put together for a festival weekend or something to bring tourists in. It’s positively adorable, though, and looks so beautiful. The snow makes it look even more enchanting. Echoing everyone else, your photography is stunning.

And speaking of adorable, It is just that when Kevin comments in your posts! He seems to be getting more “chatty”. :) I love it, though. You two seem SO cute.

He is quite the chatty man… haha! Well, if you ever get a chance to come to Canada, Quebec City is pretty fabulous. Yes, totally magical!

I always get the duck salad at Lapin Sauté! So delicious! Hope you enjoyed it too :)