Maintaining a Healthy Routine When You’re Moving

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on September 7, 2012

When we were planning our move, we had a bunch of moving companies visit the house to take a look at everything in it and provide us with a quote. During the process, each representative suggested that we throw out the items in our pantry to save on weight and reassess how many dishes and kitchen appliances we brought with us. For the record – I’d rather ditch my closet than have to say goodbye to anything in my kitchen. I told each representative very nicely that there was no way I was open to getting rid of anything, so it was added to the quote!

I planned to pack everything, down to the last bag of kelp noodles, in large Rubbermaid containers to avoid potential leakage of syrups and such from invading our furniture. Before I tucked everything away, I prepared a list of items I wanted to keep with me in my luggage to ensure I was going to continue to eat healthy throughout the transition.

While I haven’t worked out in over a month; which I’m a bit upset over but have accepted that I don’t have time and packing/painting is a workout in and of itself, we’ve both been eating really, really well during this process.

Here’s a snippet of the items we packed with us in our luggage, foods we took with us, and the meals we’ve prepared.

Kitchen items

• Small pan
  • Small baking sheet
  • Utensils: 1 fork, 1 sharp knife, 1 spoon, 1 butter knife
  • Can opener
  • Mini casserole dish that can act as a bowl, baking surface, and comes with a lid for food storage
  • Small mixing bowl
  • Teaspoon measurement
  • Coffee grinder (optional)
  • Small blender

Food to pack

I wasn’t sure what I’d have access to at first, so I packed all of the essentials. As crazy as this may sound, it didn’t take up that much room in our luggage, about 1/2 of a medium-sized suitcase and we saved a bunch of money by bringing what we had instead of buying all new things.

• Coconut oil for cooking
  • Nut butter like coconut butter
  • Dried fruit
  • Nuts and seeds
  • Cereal
  • Rice cakes
  • Flax seeds
  • Supplements
  • Protein powder
  • Spices like salt, cinnamon and ground cumin

Easy meals

There’s a small market down the street from our new place where we’ve been picking up fresh produce every couple of days. Our grocery bills have been small, our meals large, and our bellies are happy!

• Baked potato or yam with canned chickpeas

• Tuna sandwiches with gluten-free bread, canned tuna and fresh veggies
  • Tuna bowl with loads of chopped fresh veggies, salt and olive oil
  • Pan-fried chicken (cook on low setting so oil is not needed) with oven roasted vegetables – add a dollop of coconut oil and bake.
  • Baked egg sandwich

• Smoothies with fresh fruit, protein powder and water

• Salads with leftover protein from the night before

If you’ve moved recently, or have had a major change in your life where you continued to eat healthy through the transition, I’d love to hear about it!

Okay, off to paint the last couple of walls in the house… house update to come soon!

I love this post, Leanne! Traveling, moving, etc can be so hard to stay healthy in a routine….leading to constipation! Love your tips :D

Thanks Alex! Hope school is going well for ya ;)

Erica { EricaDHouse.com }

Can’t wait to see the house update! You definitely eat way better than I do when moving. Last time I moved (about 2 years ago) was also the last time I had fast food. Something about moving just requires a milkshake and fries to me :)

Nothing wrong with that! I was craving pizza something fierce the day we moved in, but nothing was open. Had it been earlier, I totally would have ordered a (gluten-free) slice!

Mmm I love egg sandwiches!! Great post, Leanne. I would do the same as you if I was moving across the country because eating well is so important to me and I know I feel like crap if I don’t! That’s very handy that you’ve got a market down the street. Fresh veggies and fruit would be a must for me too!

It’s literally 1 minute from our front door and has (almost) everything I need. Will be so great when I run out of an ingredient at 8am in the morning. Ah, I think I’m beginning to love it here!

Danielle

Every day I regret not bringing my pantry with me. Yesterday’s grocery bill included so many spices and sauces I had in Vancouver. I was kicking myself!!

I knew I would totally feel that way. Ack, now you know for next time! ;)

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance

Great resource with some really good ideas! I always try to remember to grab my misto (EVOO) and an all-purpose seasoning. It’s amazing what you can create with a few essentials! :)

All-purpose seasoning is the best, isn’t it? I went through a phase where I had it on practically everything!

Rachel @ Eat, Learn, Discover!

Great post, with tons of great ideas! I just moved a little while ago, I definitely could have used this list for meal inspiration. Well, It’s still a great list, especially for those of us with limited time to grocery shop, prep, and cook. So thank you!

Kim

Thank you Leanne for your timely post :-) I’m moving to another city at the end of this month (while being in school full-time) and your ideas and suggestions will be totally helpful :-) I hope you and Kevin are enjoying the beauty of Montreal and settling well into your new place :-)

Perfect timing! Glad I could help :) Good luck with the move!

Michelle@Peachy Palate

I’ve quit my job, am now working part time and I’ve also gone back to study so I’ve to completely change my routine when it comes to food..even more pre prep, using leftovers in new innovative ways, and making sure I have ready breakfasts like baked and overnight oats, quinoa flake bakes and even pancakes made the night before! :) Have you moved far from where you were living? I hope you’re like the new abode!

Wow, sounds like you’ve just gone through loads of change, Michelle! How do you feel about it? Sounds like you’re adjusting nicely what with all the thought you’ve been putting into your food. I love that quinoa flake bakes are part of your breakfast line up ;)

We moved across Canada – Alberta to Quebec last Sunday. We’re really loving the new place!

Michelle@Peachy Palate

Big move then! Yep you introduced to the quinoa flake bakes. The only thing I’m having trouble with is fitting in working out but ultimately my health and my fitness, achieving balance are what comes first! I’ve also started eating bee pollen which is helping me feel more energised! :) Do you know people were you’ve moved to? I’ve been to Vancouver, spent a few weeks there and in Whistler; have a lot of family in Toronto too.

I’m in the same boat. I haven’t worked out since we started packing back in July. It’s been a crazy couple of months. I just keep telling myself that all this running around, painting, packing, etc. is a workout and I’ll continue to fuel my body right so that when things settle down, I’ll be good to rock! Nope, we don’t know anyone here except for some extended family we met a couple of weeks ago.

Michelle@Peachy Palate

You’ll be settled in in no time hopefully! I’m sure there must be some food bloggers in those parts you could hook up with!!! :) Keep us posted on how your getting on!

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner

I love chickpeas SO much! And my single-serving blender. It makes making a green smoothie THAT much more convenient. ;)

It’s so convenient! I love using that little blender for quick jobs like smoothies. They’re ready so much quicker than if I’d used my Vitamix.

Sue

Leanne, I can’t begin to tell you how much I love today’s post! Movers always say to toss pantry items. I only tossed those things that required refrigeration. The rest I sealed up safely, just as you did. And I always labeled a box or two for immediate opening so we’d have sheets, pillows, kitchen necessities. Your even better planned kit is a marvelous lesson in survival, truly.

Thanks, Sue! I unpacked my pantry last night and everything survived. No breakage, spillage, or spoilage. And, I saved hundreds if not thousands of dollars by saving it as opposed to buying all new things. Gosh, it would have taken me years to build up this same collection again. I love the idea of packing the essential boxes. I didn’t do that and somewhat regret it. Glad you liked the post!

Allison@Ultima Replenisher

Leanne, Thanks for this post as I am in the early stages of a move. Packing/unpacking boxes is definitely a cardio workout (albeit a tedious one)! We’re looking forward to more house updates :)

Good luck in the move, Allison!