Grain-free Lemonade Doughnuts

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on July 18, 2012

It’s Kevin’s (30th!) birthday tomorrow and while store-bought presents are nice, I wanted to come up with a special treat for him instead.

To help inspire me in the kitchen and keep me on track; because I usually get distracted when I’m creating a recipe and end up with something completely different than what I’d planned, I asked Kevin to write down a list of his favorite foods he wanted me to incorporate into his birthday dessert. Here’s his list…

Wait, is meat listed twice? I swear I told him to write down sweet things. There’s no way I’m making a meat dessert. You’re on your own with that one, babe.

I seem to be doing a lot of raspberry things lately, so I decided to play on Kevin’s love for lemonade and turn it into a doughnut. Kevin is to doughnuts as a dog is to a bone. His eyes widen, his smile curls… I’m just surprised he hasn’t buried them by the dozen somewhere in his office for safe keeping. So naturally, doughnuts felt like a good fit.

A couple minutes prepping the ingredients, half an hour in the kitchen, and voila! A healthy (meat-free) birthday dessert.

print, email or text this recipe

Grain-free Lemonade Doughnuts
Author:
Allergens: Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Sugar-free, Yeast-free, Corn-free, Grain-free
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 6 doughnuts

Lemonade doughnuts made with a combination of coconut and almond flours, xylitol and apple sauce.
Dry
Wet
Optional topping
  • A small smear of honey on each doughnut and extra lemon zest shavings
Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 350F and lightly oil a doughnut pan with coconut oil or non-stick gluten-free cooking spray.
  2. Whisk together dry ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
  3. Combine wet ingredients in a large bowl.
  4. Add dry to wet and stir to combine. Allow to sit for 2-3 minutes to thicken up.
  5. Place dough into a piping bag or large ziploc bag, cut off the end so there’s about ½-inch opening. Press mixture into the pan, filling to about ¾ to the top.
  6. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Happy birthday, baby!

Veronica

Oh my god, they look sooo good!! I love lemon zest!

LizAshlee

How creative and fun!! I still have yet to try a donut recipe..geez..I need to get on it! :)

Erica { EricaDHouse.com }

Aww what a thoughtful birthday treat! I think it’s time I invest in a doughnut pan!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen)

These look perfect! I hope Kevin has an incredible birthday! Tony would have put meat on that list twice too. He would opt out of dessert for more meat.

haha men, sheesh! I think I’d die if I lived on meat for the rest of my life. Often I’ll ask Kevin what he’d like for dinner and he just replies with MEAT. No veggies, grains, nothing…. just meat.

What!? You mean there’s no sausage stuffed inside that donut?? Come ON Leanne! ;) Hehe just kidding. These sound awesome! Lemon poppyseed is one of my favourite muffins, so I’m sure these are delicious. I love lemony flavours! Happy big 3-0 to Kevin. I hope you guys have lots of fun celebrating together today!

Ah! Gross! If there was any doubt in my mind that Kevin is German, I just have to watch him eat meat and all of my suspicions are washed away. It’s amazing how much animal protein he NEEDS.

katie @KatieDid

hahahah i LOVE his list, too funny. Was he expecting you to combine all of those? raspberries and meat… hmmmm.

Happy Early Birthday, Kevin!!! What a fun treat for him-and very creative! And his “favorite foods” list looks just like my brother’s: steak and bacon are his favorites. It’s a guy thing, I guess :P

Janae @ Bring-Joy

Lol! This is too cute. I mean, you’re willing to make him a dessert from his favorite foods, he makes a list (that list is hilarious, btw, steak, sausage, meat? is he male, or what), & you make him something delicious & unique.

You are lucky to have each other.

Kris

meat, meat, sausage AND steak! that is hilarious.

I love lemonade and I love doughnuts – sometimes late at night, like 1am, Jason will look at me and say “we need doughnuts” and off we go! :D

Kris

and Happy Birthday, Kevin! enjoy!

Brianne

Such a cute post! I love that Kevin listed “meat” twice. It reminds me of a magnet I recently bought that says, “Yay! Meat!” :)

Dawn M.

YUM! YUM! YUM! If I don’t have a donut pan, can I form them into some other shape (or pan)?

Best looking grain free donuts ever! And the flavor combo – I want to try these!

caralyn @ glutenfreehappytummy

those look delicious! what a great present:) happy bday to your man! :)

I love anything lemon.. it seems so summery! Happy Birthday to Kevin!

Kevin

Good evening all and thank you for all the birthday wishes :)

chris

Happy Birthday, Kevin!
Yum!!!
Can these be made without the eggs….flax/chia egg to replace the eggs?

janet

Hi Leanne~ I was wondering if you’ve come across any solid info on the xylitol you use (Xlear). I have had no luck searching online to find out what it is made from and who owns the company. The company only states that xylitol “is made from a naturally-occurring substance found in fruits and vegetables like plums, strawberries, and corn.” They don’t say specifically which source theirs comes from…and I am SURE it is not plums and strawberries…which leaves CORN. I have a sneaking suspicion that xylitol is just another genetically-engineered corn product (Monsanto!). I just can’t use this product with no solid information on it. I think I’ll stick to my local, raw honey in the meantime, but I would be happy to read further if anyone has any info. Thanks! :)

Hi Janet – there is corn xylitol and birch xylitol. You should be able to contact the company and ask them how their product is sourced. I know what you mean, there’s such little information about all these new products. Personally, I find when I eat birch sourced xylitol I feel far better on it than stevia, so I opt for xylitol whenever possible. I hope that helps!

Trisha

OMG!!!! I’m makin these today!!! My b/f loves lemon.. Loves doughnuts! I have a feeling after having these he will want to make a trip to Canada to personally thank you!!! :)

Would love to know how you (and your boyfriend) like them, Trisha :)

Trisha

Well…. they were DELICIOUS!! He took one bite and all I heard was a loud “mmmmmmmmmm”! They had a nice subtle lemon flavor….. And are nice and soft. Can’t wait to have one for lunch dessert today!!

( is there a trick to getting the coconut oil drizzle to work…? Mine all pooled at the bottom. I drizzled and immediately put in fridge. )

NICE! I’m so glad he liked them! Sorry, could be that it’s Friday and I’ve had an incredibly long week… which drizzle?

Trisha

No worries!! :) The coconut oil drizzle… Seems so stupid-simple but it NEVER works for me. Usually absorbs into what ever I’m drizzling it on! Or ends up a big puddle on the plate. I do put in fridge so it can harden on whatever it I I made.

Cara

Wow, it’s been far too long since I pulled out my donut pan – these sound so perfect, summery & delish!

Laura @ Gluten Free Pantry

Alrighty you’ve convinced me-I need to buy a donut pan! Grain-free donuts and they taste incredible?! Count me in :)

It’ll be one of the best things you ever buy… and they’re usually under $10!

JT

These are fabulous!! Just made them mmmmmmmmmm!!!! My husband loved the flavor too, reminded him of when his mom made lemon poppy seed cake….minus the poppy seeds :)

Glad you two liked them, JT :) Adding poppy seeds next time may be a good idea… I’ll have to try that!

Hmm are you referring to the drizzle I used in my chai doughnuts or that you see on my carrot cake protein bars? If so, it’s coconut butter (mashed up coconut) as opposed to coconut oil (the oil from coconut) so if you’re using the oil, it’ll seep into whatever you’re drizzling for SURE! So, so many people make that mistake, you’re not alone! ;)

Trisha

Aahhhhhhh!!! That makes so much more sense!! I will have to get the butter… I thought the oil and butter were one in the same.

And yea drizzle from the carrot bars.. I made those 3 days but used 1/2 cup pumpkin and 1/4 cup applesauce. No carrots or raisins though… So they were more like pumpkin bars. VERY DELICIOUS!! He loved those too!! :)

Using the butter vs. the oil will make a HUGE difference, promise!

Pumpkin bars… brilliant. I’m going to have to do that next time. I’ve been making the bars every week since I posted the recipe.