It’s Kevin’s (30th!) birthday tomorrow and while store-bought presents are nice, I wanted to come up with a special treat for him instead.
To help inspire me in the kitchen and keep me on track; because I usually get distracted when I’m creating a recipe and end up with something completely different than what I’d planned, I asked Kevin to write down a list of his favorite foods he wanted me to incorporate into his birthday dessert. Here’s his list…
Wait, is meat listed twice? I swear I told him to write down sweet things. There’s no way I’m making a meat dessert. You’re on your own with that one, babe.
I seem to be doing a lot of raspberry things lately, so I decided to play on Kevin’s love for lemonade and turn it into a doughnut. Kevin is to doughnuts as a dog is to a bone. His eyes widen, his smile curls… I’m just surprised he hasn’t buried them by the dozen somewhere in his office for safe keeping. So naturally, doughnuts felt like a good fit.
A couple minutes prepping the ingredients, half an hour in the kitchen, and voila! A healthy (meat-free) birthday dessert.
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- 2 tablespoon finely ground blanched almond flour
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon gluten-free baking soda
- 3 free range eggs
- ¼ cup xylitol
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoon unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- ¼ teaspoon gluten-free pure vanilla extract
- A small smear of coconut oil on each doughnut and extra lemon zest shavings
- Preheat oven to 350F and lightly oil a doughnut pan with coconut oil or non-stick gluten-free cooking spray.
- Whisk together dry ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Combine wet ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add dry to wet and stir to combine. Allow to sit for 2-3 minutes to thicken up.
- Place dough into a piping bag or large
ziplocbag, cut off the end so there’s about ½-inch opening. Press mixture into the pan, filling to about ¾ to the top.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until
toothpickinserted comes out clean.
View Nutrition Information (once on page, scroll down)
Happy birthday, baby!