Oil-free Upside Down Banana Bread Pancakes + Maple Cream

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on May 24, 2012

One of the benefits to having a boyfriend that travels a lot for work is that I get to partake in girly activities that I can’t generally find the time for when he’s at home.

Like having 2 bubble baths in a day, drowning myself in reruns of the Gilmore Girls, and going to Eveline Charles for a pedicure.

I used to struggle with anxiety when Kevin would travel for work. He travels a lot so you can imagine what a wreck I must have been all of the time! But with a little bit of work, I now see it as an opportunity for me to strengthen my self confidence, build on my meditation practice, and just chill out on my own and feel good about doing it.

Oh, and I also take full advantage of my time alone by leaving all dresser, closet, cabinet and room doors OPEN – a quirk of mine that I let have full reign of the house when Kevin’s away.

You know I’ve been in a room when:

• The dresser drawers are pulled out and oozing clothes from every direction
  • All kitchen cabinet doors are open to their full capacity… and left that way

Or it smells of vanilla, bananas, cinnamon or chocolate… which gets me to my next point, breakfast.

Another thing I get to enjoy when Kevin’s out traveling is making big, crazy breakfasts and then emailing him a picture with a note that says ‘wish you were here’.

Imagine getting the picture below on a Thursday afternoon in London after working 12 hours and living off room service for the past week. Oh, I’m such a tease!

print, email or text this recipe

5.0 from 1 reviews

Oil-free Upside Down Banana Bread Pancakes + Maple Cream
Author:
Allergens: Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Sugar-free, Yeast-free, Corn-free, Nut-free
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 2-3 pancakes, 1 serving

Start your morning off right with these gluten-free, oil-free, reduced fat pancakes that are high on taste and low in calories. The sliced bananas caramelize on top making it a gooey delicious treat you’ll have a hard time believing is good for you!
Dry
Wet
Instructions
  1. ombine dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl. Mix with a fork to break up the flour.
  2. Combine wet ingredients in a small bowl until incorporated.
  3. Add the wet mixture to dry and stir until just mixed. Set aside.
  4. Meanwhile, heat a small non-stick pan on medium-low heat for 2 minutes.
  5. Pour ½ of the mixture into the preheated pan. Allow the first side to cook for 2-3 minutes, or until bubbles form and the edges begin to turn golden. At about the 1.5 minute mark, add half of the sliced bananas and continue to cook for another 30 seconds to 1 minute.
  6. Carefully flip and allow to cook for another 1-2 minutes. Because there isn’t a lot of starch in this pancake, you have to be very careful with the flipping!
  7. To remove pancake from pan, turn the pan over onto a cooling rack and hit the bottom of the pan with your spatula. The pancake should pop out with all banana slices in place!
  8. Repeat with remaining batter and serve stack with maple cream below (optional)
Notes
Note: although I haven’t attempted it, you could try to use ¼ cup egg white in place of the whole egg. Or, to make vegan – replace egg with 1 tbsp freshly ground flax mixed with 3 tbsp of warm water and allow to sit for 5 minutes before using the recipe. I have not tried either variation, but am assuming that it would yield a similar result. If you give it a try, let us all know!

print, email or text this recipe

Maple Cream

Vegan, Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Refined sugar-free, Yeast-free, Corn-free, Grain-free, Nut-free
Prep time: Cook time: Yield: 2 tbsp, 1 serving

Drench your pancakes in cinnamon maple goodness.

1. Mix together and enjoy!

View nutrition info

Does your partner travel a lot? What sorts of things do you like to do to fill up the time until they return?

Oh my goodness, those photos of your elaborate breakfasts must drive Kevin crazy! You tease you! :P Now that I think about it, when I get really into cooking on the weekends (which is normally when I have the house all to myself and the roomies are gone), I end up having to close all the cupboards before sitting down to eat… I guess I just forget when I’m in the groove!! I’m so jealous of you and your pedi…. that’s like my #1 choice of spa treatment! Hope you enjoyed it. :)

Danielle

Maple cream! What a brilliant idea. Gilmore Girls re-runs and pedicures sounds like the perfect day! Something I may try out this weekend… :)

Haha…You are such a tease!!!! You better make him some when he gets home :D

That’s exactly what he responded with!

Tracy

Suddenly my breakfast green smoothie doesn’t seem so appealing……

Green smoothies are good… Guess you could have pancakes for lunch. No rules about that!

Brittany

Haha I was going to say the exact same thing! These pancakes literally had me dashing to the kitchen for the ingredients before I even finished reading the post….and I have just eaten dinner + dessert…..I suppose I will have to restrain myself until morning :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen)

Tony and I work together so we are together all the time. We are pretty attached at the hip. :)

Enjoy your girly time! The pancakes look amazingly delicious!

LizAshlee

These look divine..so funny..when I am in the kitchen creating crazy recipes…almost all cabinet doors are open and left that way until cleanup! :) It’s a sign that I am in my flow!!!

That’s what I tell Kevin! There’s a method to my madness! Glad to hear I’m not the only one with the open cabinet issue.

Minerva

Gilmore girls and these pancakes would be the perfect morning!

I love how those pancake pieces are just BAKED in. I would love to just go to town picking them out :)

That’s how I ate them, too!

Ana

Oh, look so good! Do you think brown rice flour would work in place of the sorghum flour? (I need to buy some of this flour, I never used, but have seen in lots of different recipes – gf)
And gilmore girls was the best, I love to watch reruns too :-)
Ana

I’m not 100% sure it would substitute well. It was my first time working with white sorghum – I found it very similar to white rice flour so maybe that would be a better substitution. I hope that helps!

Jenny$1983

I’ve just made these using brown rice flour (and no sweetener) and they worked perfectly and are absolutely delicious (I’m eating them as I type)! I actually mixed 1 tbsp of hazelnut butter with 1 tbsp of maple syrup and 1/8 tsp of mixed spice, as I have no coconut milk and ran out of cinnamon using it in the batter. Droolworthy for sure! :D

katie @KatieDid

oh my these look like moist banana heaven, the only way I’ll eat pancakes really. Kevin must be itching to get back to your cooking!

Banana all the way… although I’m not sure these beat out your most recent 3 ingredient pancake!

Kristina

happy to hear you are able to relax about Kevin being out of town – I know how that is, Jason travels often also, and I sometimes let my (unnecessarily overactive) imagination get the best of me. ;) Leaving the remote acreage for some street lamps and neighbors has done good for me – Jason was gone all last week, and it was weird in the new house, but I felt safer.

these pancakes! my Grandpa Z used to make banana pancakes like this – and as they were cooking he would salt them. I always thought it odd, but it tasted GREAT. secret culinary genius, that one. :D

It’s great that you’re adjusting to your new home! I’m hoping the lighting is better there than in your previous house – I remember you saying it was a major issue. Had I known I was going to be taking pictures of food by my windows we totally would have chosen a different layout!
Salt… brilliant! I’ll have to try that next time. He does sound quite wise!

Jocelyn @ Peace Love Nutrition

My boyfriend travels all the time- he was in Europe for 3 weeks and it was brutal! I convinced him for the next leg of his trip to take me with him. And he did : )

To pass the time I reached out to all my girlfriends and reconnect with them, read books, & went to classes I had been wanting to go to

It’s so great that you got to travel with him! That must have been a pretty nice trip.

Nancy Sherry

Love your pictures :)

anguilla

Haha I ALWAYS leave drawers and cupboards open.
This is such a good idea – I don’t like banana but I’m going to try it with sweet potato and pumpkin :)

Would love to know how it works out for you – apple or pineapple would be good, too!

These pancakes look amazing! I could eat pancakes every morning! Ok, maybe not everyyyy morning, but most ;) Maple cream made with coconut milk!? That’s genius, Leanne. Trying that STAT.

Thanks Andrea! I could eat them every morning, too but I limit them to Saturday’s only. It’s become a tradition around here to enjoy a stack of pancakes Saturday morning. If we had them everyday we’d have to buy a truckload of maple syrup. Kevin goes through maple syrup like it’s going out of style! It’s insane. One day a week so that we can keep the maple syrup usage down… that stuff’s expensive!

Yes it is definately expensive, but so worth it ;)

Kristin @ eat healthy. be happy. live well.

That maple cream sounds delicious!! I think I’ll be making myself some pancakes tomorrow morning just so I can make that :)

I do the same thing with homemade French fries and ketchup. Sometimes I make the fries just so that I can enjoy some ketchup!

Lou

I do exactly the same thing with doors/drawers and the likes, drives my partner CRAZY! My 18 month old son actually follows me around and shuts them :)

YUM pancakes! Love the maple cream idea :)

Dayanna

Great post!
I think you just encompassed every girls dream ~ yummy pancakes, pedi’s, being carefree around the house … etc! Too good !!!
ps – the new blog design looks amazing! I love all the colours as they make me think of the chakras and balance (:

Thanks, Dayanna! It just went live last night. Glad you picked up on the chakra/balance note… that’s exactly what I was going for!

Holly

Wow, these look really good and I love that they are sugar free. My husband has a birthday coming up, maybe I’ll make him breakfast in bed instead of the usual fancy dinner.

Amanda

That is too funny! i was asking my boyfriend what I do that he doesn’t like the other day, he responded with me leaving my drawers open and my clothing not folded in them! I try so hard when he is around to keep things closed, but less my go wild on open drawers when he is not around!

I am famous for not folding my clothes! It’s a huge issue in our household haha I just don’t see the point, when I rummage around in the drawer it messes all the clothes up anyways!

Madison @ Pilates Makes You Happy

Gilmore Girls reruns AND oil free pancakes?! Sign me up!

Hannah@mindrunningwild

I love anything with bananas baked into the top. Oddly enough I’m not a fan of them on their own, but bake them into something and I’m SO there!! and oil free? Sounds perfect!

Ann

Leanne
Love to get your links in my inbox! Breakfast is always my fav, partly because it is the only leisurely meal I have, peaceful since my kids are both at school (till the younger comes home at noon…). My husband travels a lot for work, often consulting takes him elsewhere mon-thur for months, but over the yrs we have gotten used to it and I now do enjoy keeping my own sched, catching up on my tv shows, and a tidy bathroom etc. then he gets home for the weekend and it’s nice to see each other again. The hardest part for me is the switch from a travelling wk to staying home or vice versa. The first night with him away is always too quiet. The tv stays on too long then. Enjoy your free time now–too soon it will be taken over by children and activities! But I know it is difficult to see that when you haven’t had the experience. Pls keep filling your days with cooking so we can continue to be well fed and inspired.
Thanks
Ann

Khadijah

I’m glad to hear I’m not the only person who leaves all the kitchen cupboard doors wide open! These pancakes look great. Would whole wheat pastry flour work?

I would think that sorghum flour is very similar to pastry flour… but I haven’t baked with it in forever so I’m not 100% sure. If you go for it, I’d love to know how it turns out!

Leanne, OHMYGOSH! I LOVEEEE the new look of your site!! Did you do it all yourself? Wow! And I love love love your new logo. everything looks so amazing :D

Thanks Alex! I got help from Zel Creative for many of the changes – I just couldn’t figure out how to do the updates on my own. Glad you like them!

Steph

Oooh pancakes look fab but nothing drives me nuts like drawer and closet doors being left open! Lol

X steph

Jeni

I also love saturating myself with Gilmore Girls reruns in my free time! I have pretty much destroyed the DVDs and need to get some new sets, especially seasons 5 & 6, my favorites! My boyfriend has started traveling for work recently, and I find that I unexpectedly like the time alone. I took on teaching some fitness classes in the evening, but really like being able to do my own thing, not have to cook someone dinner, and relax. I’m glad you’ve found a comfort level with it too!

Christine @ Oatmeal in my Bowl

Love the site update. Your header & nav bar are very cute! And you can never go wrong with an awesome pancake. Have a great long weekend!

BTW, I think the maple cream would be great on my Oatmeal. Just sayin’. ;)

Thanks Christine! It was a really fun project. You’re totally right about the maple cream, I bet it would go GREAT on your oatmeal!

Jeanette

Love these healthy pancakes, especially the combination of banana and the maple coconut cream.

Natalie Meconi

I nominated you for the One Lovely Blog Award:) Love your site and recipes!

Charissa

I made these this morning and can’t stop thinking about them. Even my younger brother who hates fruit enjoyed it. :) What a great recipe!

I’m so happy you guys liked them! Hope you’re enjoying the weekend, Charissa.

Hannah

Ah, see this is my problem. I only want a boyfriend who’ll go away periodically so I can keep doing my favourite single-girl things ;) These look incredible!

Brittany @ Eating Bird Food

This looks delicious and I love the new colorful layout of you site. So pretty!

Callie

I just laughed out loud at the leaving drawers, etc. open comment! I do the same thing and my partner gets so frusturated. But for some reason I can’t break the habit!

Kristin

My boyfriend left headed out of town on Sunday & I’m doing very much the same sort of thing. “You know Kristin’s home when…” …all the lights in the house are on! It drives him nuts, but I swear it’s not on purpose!

In other news, your blog looks great! I miss the sunflowers (planted one today in the backyard, actually!) but the tree is awesome. I hate the ads, but realize that this is a necessary evil if one is to make a living off of writing. Which is probably why I wont ever take mine in that direction, but I’m ok with that! I definitely don’t have a problem with sucky photography & low-key, no pressure irregular posts haha!

Oh my gosh, Kevin does that too and it drives me bonkers! He’s a light switch monster (or at least that’s what I call him!)
Ya, the ads are necessary. I wish there was a way around them. Maybe one day! Thanks for sharing your feedback though, I really appreciate it!

Bava Juice

This recipe looks amazing. Perfect way to start off the morning! I love the idea that this is oil-free and with less fat!

Stephanie

Hey Leanne! I made these this morning with brown rice flour instead of sorghum (mostly because I couldn’t wait to make these until I went to the store for sorghum flour!) and they came out AMAZINGLY! Thanks so much for being awesome at food! :)