Key Lime Pie Green Smoothie

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on May 18, 2012

Who doesn’t like pie, smoothies and graham crackers?

Or, limes, frothy toppings and sweet breakfasts?

Big mugs, green things, and meals packed with goodness?

All of these things? Can be your next green smoothie.

Because green smoothies don’t have to be a “pinch your nose to scarf it down” experience.

They can taste like pie or fudge or cake, ice cream or brownies and everything in between.

TeaserBanner

Love the way smoothies make you feel?

Get your exclusive invite to my new cookbook online presale event, plus 3 new juice and smoothie recipes. Click HERE to join in.

print, email or text this recipe

5.0 from 7 reviews

Key Lime Pie Green Smoothie
Author:
Prep time:
Total time:
Serves: 500mL, 1 serving

Vegan, gluten and nut-free key lime green smoothie that’s under 300 calories. Tastes just like pie!
Instructions
  1. Add all ingredients in the jug of your high-powered blender in the order they are listed.
  2. Blend for 30 seconds or until smooth.
  3. Add whipped topping and crushed graham crackers, if desired.
Notes
If whipped topping is used, recipe is no longer vegan. To maintain vegan-ness, try using vegan whipped cream instead.

What’s your favorite pie flavor?

The first pie I ever made was lemon meringue. I remember being fascinated at how fun it was to make. Following that first pie, I must have made another 20 or so lemon meringue pies all in one summer. Once I mastered the lemon meringue, I branched out to apple, then blueberry, strawberry rhubarb… I’m a pie kinda gal.

If I had to choose my favorite of all time though, I think I’d choose lemon meringue – the pie that started it all!

Ooooh yes PLEASE! I like key lime pie (and I’m sure I’d love it in smoothie form), but I think my favourites of all time are pumpkin (in the fall/winter) and lemon meringue in the spring/summer. My gran used to make the most delicious lemon meringue pie. As a kiddo I usually ate the meringue bit only and gave the rest to my mum, but the adult me appreciates a full slice – crust and lemon custard too!

Mmm the meringue was my favorite part, too. The custard also goes really, really well on ice cream. Oh my!

Beth @ Tasty Yummies

WOW! This looks amazing Leanne, the color is incredible. Do you have a favorite brand of gluten-free graham crackers? This isn’t the kind of thing I usually buy, but it would be fun to use once in a while for things like this. OK and maybe a s’more over a fire this summer :)
Hmm, so I am not much of a pie person for some reason, never have been. But, I guess I would have to say my favorite is my mom’s crumble-topped apple pie that she makes with the apples from the tree in their backyard.

I like kinnikinnick gluten free graham crackers the best. Always have to look up how to spell their company name though… so confusing!
Your Mom’s apple pie sounds amazing!

LizAshlee

I love tasty green smoothies like this one…what an awesome flavor..key lime! :) It seems like some people like sweeter breakfasts and some prefer savory, I tend to be on the sweet side, green juices, smoothies, breakfast pudding, etc…adding this one to the collection! Have an awesome weekend!

Michelle@Peachy Palate

I’m making this this afternoon with a little Sunwarrior added in! LOVE limes!

Great idea, Michelle :) Have a fabulous weekend!

This looks so refreshing! My favorite pie – hmm, I don’t really eat pie often at all, but I do like pumpkin, apple, cherry, the traditionals :) But now that you said blueberry pie, I’d love to try making my own! That sounds amazing!

natasha

this sounds so yummy! Im going to get some limes this weekend and try it out! Im getting a little bored of my green smoothie im having every morning

laura

Look Delish!!! I can’t wait to try this out. Refreshing and just in time for Summer!!!! Yeah!

Deanna

Oh yummness. I’ve been getting bored with my usual smoothie rotation. I shall try this one as soon as I buy some key limes.

(Lunch today is spinach, cherry, almond butter, almond milk, and sunwarrier vanilla protein powder. I’m thinking some lime could jazz this one up, too. Hm….)

I love key lime pie! I need to make more of it…or just make this! GORGEOUS pics. Love how light and green & cheery they are!

Alyssa @ Queen of Quinoa

Amazing!! I am SOO making this tomorrow for breakfast. Sweet green and delicious! Perfection in a smoothie :)

Thanks!

Kristina

does cheesecake count as pie? ;)

this is so fresh and vibrant, Leanne – I know it has fantastic flavor!

happy weekend!

For you? It totally counts ;)

Kailey

you must have known I’d find your blog today because key lime is my absolute favorite kind of pie so I am super excited to find this recipe!!!

I wish I could say I had awesome crystal ball powers… the stars aligned! Glad you found me, Kailey. Thanks for saying hello :)

My favorite pie-pumpkin!!! Love thanksgiving time :D

Mikelle @ Zen Thyroid

Looks yummy, as everything you make! Can’t wait to try to this. As I am finding myself becoming increadingly addicted to limes (pretty much the most adorable fruit I can think of). I am also going to try it with Sunwarrior, like Michelle suggested.

Favorite pie? Well, favorite anything always has chocolate :)

Andie

Made it this morning. It was good, but lacked the tartness of true KLP to me. I used regular limes, would that make a difference? Also I used original silk almond milk, which is slightly sweetened. Matbe too much sweetener? It was good though!

Hi Andie – sorry it wasn’t as good as you’d hoped. Key limes are much more tart and flavorful than regular limes, so that could have been contributing to the lack of flavor. Also, soy milk has a very strong flavor naturally. It tends to kill a lot of the flavors in a smoothie. Maybe try making your next one with water instead and adding a couple of nuts in if you don’t have the almond milk.

The Healthy Apple

Yummy; these look amazing darling!

Becky

OMG! Drinking one now and it is AWESOME!!!!! YUMMMMMMMMMM

Gena

I’ve made a similar smoothie, but added avocado to it (just a little). So delightful! This recipe looks terrific.

Heidi @ Food Doodles

Mmm, lemon meringue is one of my favorites too, but I’m definitely a pie person so it’s hard to pick!! I’ve always loved key lime pie too, but it’s usually WAY too rich, so I love the idea of putting it in a healthy smoothie! Sounds delicious!

Marissa E.

I’m drinking one right now! I used regular limes instead of key limes, and I can’t do bananas, so I threw in some frozen diced mango instead. I used coconut milk and a date for sweetener and it is heavenly! I’ve been sick with a high fever all day, so this is so cool and refreshing. And since it’s packed with healthy stuff hopefully it’ll help me be feeling better soon!

Thanks for sharing your adjustments to the recipes, Marissa! I hope you feel better soon :)

cat

I’m new to your blog, so maybe you’ve already done this and I’m not aware… Any chance you have an eBook of all your smoothie recipes? I think I need one – they all look so good and I’m going crazy trying to pin them all! :-)

Hi Cat, no sorry I don’t… but I did a roundup post of all of my favorites that may help you feel less overwhelmed. Here’s the link: http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/2012/07/18-healthy-vegan-smoothies/

Shannon

I’m a newbie at this natural and whole foods stuff so I have lots of questions. My son, 6, is very sensitve to textures (nothing chunky — I’ll have to leave out the banana all together) so could I use kale powder instead of spinach in these smoothie’s? I am assuming that it has the nutrients that is similar to spinach or what other suggestion do you have?

Hi Shannon, no worries. The bananas sweeten the smoothie so you may want to put something else in there like medjool dates. Medjool dates are great because they’re softer and will break down easily. Are you removing the spinach because your son doesn’t like it? Or you’re afraid there will be pieces of spinach in the smoothie? If so, try running the spinach under hot water to wilt it before placing it in the smoothie. I’ve never had an issue with pieces of it in my smoothie, so you should be okay. Hope that helps!

IrisB

Okay I could not help but leave a review of this smoothie. I am a private chef and I work for a rather high profile client that constantly has various other high profile guests that have traveled the world and have advanced palettes. I just got the thumbs up that this is the best ever green smoothie that this devoted green smoothie drinking movie star has ever had! This person has an allergy to avocados, which is how I came upon this recipe. Only thing that I added was one scrapped vanilla bean. Magic in a smoothie. Delicious!!!!

Deb

Help! I searched your recipes for Lemon Meringue pie, but it returned no results. Could you share the pie recipe? We have a lemon tree, and it would be awesome to make use of all those lemons!

Hi Deb – I haven’t posted the recipe, so sorry! I was planning on doing it this year. I generally make it without measuring so I couldn’t even tell you the recipe from memory. It’s one of those ‘throw everything in a bowl and watch for the perfect consistency’ recipes.

Meg

A-mazing. I loved it so much. I’ve been saving this recipe for a few days and it was worth it.

Meg

I LOVE THIS! I made it twice in one week and now I keep everything I need at home. It’s such a great treat xx

That’s so great to hear! I’m so happy that you like this smoothie, Meg :)

Heather - Chickabug

Hi Leanne! I included your smoothie recipe in a round-up on my blog today! : ) Here’s a link:

Thank you for the inspiration – I’m a HUGE fan of your blog and recipes!

Heather

Hi Heather – I saw that, thank you very much! You have a great blog, too. I love all of the color ;)

Djasmin

Just did it and oh my good, love it love it! This is one of my favourite green smoothie now.
Thank you so much!
Kisses from Portugal

I’m so happy that you like it! Gosh, I loved Portugal when I went… very lucky!

Kristen

Just tried it but can’t find my vanilla extract! What could I do instead? Is this gonna affect the flavor too much? Thanks! Kristen Allred

Angie

Just tried this (didn’t have sunflower butter so without that) and did 2 teaspoons of sugar instead of the replacements (I’m afraid of those) which is only 30 calories and 7 grams of sugar anyway and it was SO good!. My husband loved it and is already making plans to make this for his family. We had it for breakfast without the whipped topping and graham cracker crumbs and it’s a great smoothie to go with toast. Thanks!

Christine

This recipe is truly amazing! I have no idea how these flavors together make it taste like Key Lime Pie but it really does. You’d think after drinking it that its unhealthy and full of sugar but its not! Definitely blew me away.

I’m so happy that you liked it, Christine! Have an awesome weekend!!

Alison

So good! I made this for my husband and 2 year old son and they loved it!

Nichole

Made adjustments but it still turned out really good!!
Used 1 c coconut water instead of milk ,put in some agave nectar, and used a non frozen banana. I also DIDN’T use the 2 drops liquid stevia or 1 tbsp ground xylitol or 1 pitted medjool date or 1 tbsp sunflower butter. Same delicious taste though(:

LeeAnn

Hi Leanne,
I just found your site yesterday and today am going to make your lemon pudding recipe with cauliflower! Key Lime Pie is my favorite, I have a great recipe and I’m asked to make it all the time. My neighbor says ” make one for the party & make one just for me!” I can hardly wait to try this and lots more of your recipes. (Too bad you spell your name wrong LOL.)