Apricot Delight Breakfast Rolls

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on April 4, 2012

The long weekend is just days away. Do you have any plans?

Ours will be somewhere along the lines of cleaning the backyard, going over to my parents’ house for Easter brunch, and stuffing our faces with chocolate.

I could fib and say I’ll only have a couple of foiled mini eggs, but I’d be lying. Especially if there are chocolate bunnies involved. No chocolate bunny is safe around me.

White chocolate, milk chocolate, dark chocolate, hollow or solid, I’ll take it all. Actually, anything bunny shaped generally catches my attention.

Random fact: I have a bunny tattooed on my left foot.

My dad’s nickname for me is bunny. It came about when Mom bought me a onesie for my first Easter that had bunny ears and a puffy tail. My Dad was so amused with the outfit that he started calling me bunny and from that moment forward he’s never referred to me as anything but.

So you may be wondering, what’s a bunny’s favorite Easter treat? It’s Easter brunch, of course!

Since I’ll already be filled to the brim with chocolate, I figured I’d go with something a little less sweet, along the same theme as hot cross buns, but light and spring-like. The result? These gluten-free, dairy-free breakfast rolls.

Bunny approved!

Apricot Delight Breakfast Rolls

Gluten free, Dairy free, Corn free

Flaky gluten-free breakfast rolls filled with apricots, currants and raisins.

Yield: 12 rolls

Servings: 12

Inspired by: Simply Gluten-free dinner rolls

print, email or text this recipe

• 1 tbsp active dry yeast
  • 1/2 tbsp baking powder
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted + more for oiling
  • 2 tbsp honey
  • 1/2 teaspoon coconut water vinegar or apple cider vinegar
  • 1 cup mixed dried fruit: chopped apricots, dried currants and raisins

1. Combine the yeast, sugar and warmed milk in a small bowl and mix to dissolve the sugar. Let it sit while you prepare the rest of the ingredients. It should start to get foamy and increase in size.
  2. Combine the flours, starches, flax seed, salt and baking powder in the bowl of a food processor or stand mixer and mix for  30 seconds using the dough blade.
  3. Add the yeast mixture, 1 egg, melted coconut oil, honey and vinegar. Mix for 3 minutes. The batter should be similar to cake batter. Stir in dried fruit.
  4. Oil a muffin pan with extra coconut oil and preheat the oven to 375F.
    Pour the dough into muffin tins, cover with a clean kitchen towel and place in a warm place to rise. Allow it to sit for about 35 minutes. I just set it on top of my stove while the oven was preheating.
  5. After the dough has risen, bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown tops begin to form.
  6. Allow to cool in the pans for 15 minutes before removing and serving!

Serve immediately or allow to cool completely and place in an air-tight container in the fridge or freezer. Will keep in the fridge for up to 7 days. To serve, warm slightly as they harden slightly due to the coconut oil.

View nutrition info

Do you have a nickname?

If not, what’s your favorite Easter recipe?

These look so adorable :D And moist!!!

My dad nicknames me “Big Al” It isn’t that I’m “big,” but I was always the oldest of the kids growing up….hence I was bigger than my siblings :D

These are so cute! I’m not too sure what my fave Easter recipe is, but when I was a kid my family would always do brunch with scrambled eggs, smoothies, toast, and lots of fruit salad. Ooooh, and cinnamon raisin toast – I NEED to bring that back into my life!

Cinnamon raisin toast is the best! We used to enjoy it with butter and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Mmm sounds to me like I’ll need to re-create it!

sam

hey leanne, did you know your chicken noodle meatloaf was featured in fitsugar’s healthy passover recipe slideshow? http://www.fitsugar.com/Healthy-Passover-Recipes-22511224?slide=7

Thanks for pointing that out, Sam!

Tracy

Rice/rice noodles unfortunately are not kosher for passover, however you can find some kosher for passover noodles in the markets these days to substitute making the meatloaf K.F.P.

My dad has called me poochy since I was a child. It stemmed from my love of Winnie the Pooh!

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers

Yum, those look great. I think apricots deserve more attention.

Kerrin

My nickname is Bumper because I have always been clumsy and when learning to walk I would walk into everything.
Hey, when do we get to see your new do?

Bumper… too perfect! I love that! I posted a picture of my hair last week on this post, if you’re interested: http://www.healthfulpursuit.com/2012/03/gluten-free-naan-2-0/ It’s at the bottom of the post :)

Kerrin

I was SO EXCITED about the Naan I totally missed it. It looks fabulous!!!!

Kris

I love apricot and have a new affinity for currants lately, so these rolls look perfect for me! Perhaps on Easter morning…

These seriously look and sound SO delicious! My tummy is starting to yell at me after looking at these (and that usually doesn’t happen when looking at recipes :) ) Apricot is really amazing, and as someone else said apricots definately deserve more attention! Love your bunny tat.. I’ve heard that tattoos on the top of the foot are pretty painful, did you think so? I’ve considered getting one on top of my foot. My dad has all sorts of nicknames for me, but my mom and my brother have called me Sissy for as long as I can remember. And my step-dad calls me girlfriend. I’m rarely ever called by my first name by my family! [btw - not sissy as is wuss] ;)

Apricots are all the rage in our house! I can’t seem to get enough of them. I mashed them up with eggs this morning. SO good. Tattoos on the top of the foot suck. I have both done and it took me 2 years to fester up the courage to get the other. So painful and that’s coming from a girl that has her stomach, ribs, chest done which are all very tender places. But, it’s doable!!

Great rolls and GREAT tattoo! Between the side-shave on your head and the tat, you are just full of surprises this week!

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather

Love these these have yeast in them… Nothing beats the tang of a yeasts bread or roll! I wish I had a nickname… bunny is a cute one!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen)

My family on my mother’s side call me pookie. You know, like Garfield’s teddy bear. I have no idea why, but they do. Love these rolls! They look perfect for Easter or well, anytime!

katie @KatieDid

Do you have photos of your other tattoos? I’ve always been curious! Or at least what are they haha?

I’m sure I have a bunch kicking around, but nothing official! Hmm I have a killer lobster across my ribs, the sunflowers on my chest, music notes behind my ear, a back piece of a wave and music, ‘true self’ on my wrists, ‘just be’ on my neck, my two feet and… oh yes, my stomach says ‘beautiful disaster’. Hmm… I swear it’s not overload, but sounds that way!

After all that we need some pics girly! You’re holdin out!

justina

Oh my lord, oh my lord oh my lord…those look so gorgeous! (strange word to describe a food but I call em like I see em!)

Definitely bookmarked this recipe!

LT

I have a turtle tattoo on my wrist, my dad always called me turtle because when I was a baby and they would put me on my stomach my head would bob around like a turtle.

Holly

These look yummy. I forgot to buy honey at the store today and now I regret it. Will the calorie count change much if I use regular flour?

I have no nicknames but I do have an Easter quest: to end marshmallow peep consumption worldwide. Don’t ask why… (it has nothing to do with marshmallows.)

I’m sure the calorie count would change, and so would the end result. The flours I used are much different than regular flour, so I’m not sure it would work out… but let me know if you try it! I love your quest, I’ll join with you! I never liked those things. I always traded them with the kids down the street for more chocolate or jelly beans.

Sarah @ The Healthy Diva

Leanne you post the best recipes!!! I actually didn’t buy any chocolate for easter this year. Sad I know…but I’m just not that much of a chocolate eater. But I do love me some hot cross buns…but trying to locate gluten free ones is pretty tough. Will definitely have a stab at making these lovely rolls