20 Ways to Use Up Pesto: Warmed Thai Basil Zucchini Pasta

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on January 27, 2012

With an unexpected batch of pesto sitting in my fridge yesterday, I decided to asked you guys what I should do with it.

At the end of the day we’d come up with over 20 ways to use it up, just in time for me to prep dinner!

• Eggs with toast
  • Spread on chicken and grill
  • Toss with pasta
  • Veggie dip
  • Pizza sauce
  • Freeze it in an ice cube tray and use for later
  • Spread on cooked salmon with a sprinkle of chopped nuts
  • Mix with hummus for added protein (or add to avohumocado)
  • Sandwich spread
  • Pinwheel wraps
  • Thin out to make salad dressing
  • Add to mayonnaise for a tangy mayo
  • Mix in with chickpeas and sun dried tomatoes for a quick bean salad
  • Mash with 2 hard boiled eggs and use as you would egg salad
  • Add to cooked mashed potatoes
  • Stir in with melted dairy-free cheese for a creamy sauce
  • Add to vegetable soup
  • Coat veggies and roast them
  • Add lemon juice and use as a marinade
  • Cook with wild rice
  • Mix in with meatloaf before baking

On top of that, I remembered a couple of pesto based recipes I’d enjoyed in the past – it’s amazing how quickly I forget what’s up on the blog.

Green Eggs No Ham

Green and Clean Pesto Lentil Patties

Pumpkin Pesto Pasta

Makes me wish I had made more pesto so I could make everything?!

Good thing it’s so darn easy to make :)

After a healthy dose of indecisiveness and a pantry inventory check to see what I could actually make, I landed on pasta.

But not just any pasta… (because to be honest, I didn’t have any in the house) zucchini pasta!

[print_this]

Warmed Thai Basil Zucchini Pasta

Gluten free, Dairy free, Sugar free, Yeast free, Corn free, Grain free

Pecan pesto, fresh parsley and shrimp served on a bed of zucchini noodles makes for a perfect light dinner for one!

Yield: approx. 2 cups

Servings: 1

1. In a medium-sized frying pan, melt coconut oil on medium heat.
  2. Add zucchini noodles and cook for 30 seconds, just to warm up.
  3. Add pesto and shrimp and stir to coat. Cook another 30 seconds.
  4. Transfer to a plate and garnish with salt, pepper, parsley and a lemon wedge.

View nutrition facts

[/print_this]

Enjoying this for dinner last night was the perfect way to end a surprisingly fantastic day.

Have a fabulous Friday, everyone!

Must be a pesto day…Just came from two other blogs with pesto on them! Yours looks fab and I love zuke pasta!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey

This looks delicious! If you ever have pesto that you dont’ want to go to waste, stick it in the freezer – i did that a few months ago and took some out this week. It was still awesome!

PS – I haven’t forgotten about that guest post. I’m still thinking.

I’m definitely busting out the spiralizer this weekend! These are all such great ideas. Now I’ll need to make a quadruple batch of pesto!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen)

Oh yeah, zucchini pasta is perfect! Everything looks amazing!

I haven’t done zucchini pasta in so long – that sounds so good right now. I love the colors!

P.S. I tagged you for a quiz today. All the cool kids are doing it. LOL! :)

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers

Mmmm, that looks good! I’m a big shrimp fan. I was actually planning to make a shrimp n’ pasta dish Saturday night… though not zucchini pasta :)

That post you linked to – holy grains! I wish I had a local supplier near me where I could buy in bulk. This pasta looks awesome. I’ve never had zucchini pasta but would love to try! Have a wonderful weekend Leanne! :)

starjumper

mmmm pesto. when i was in italy some of the guys living in my housing showed me how to make it by hand – we were grinding basil with a glass and a plate! they made a shrimp +bowties + pesto FROM SCRATCH… man do foreign men know how to cook!

katie @KatieDid

I must try making this kind of ‘pasta’ love it! Such fun ideas for pesto, I need to buy some (or really I should make some) asap!

Dayanna

pumpkin pesto pasta?! Seriously just blew my mind – cant wait to cook this recipe up! NOM :D

Mel

Is the spiralizer you linked to at amazon the one you use? I have been wanting to get one, but I am unsure where to get it from. If it is the one you use, are you happy with it? Thanks! I need to make this pasta soon!! It looks amazing!:)

It sure is! I bought it over 6 years ago and love it. It’s perfect for making 1 serving of pasta which is all I ever need!

Kris | iheartwellness.com

Come to momma pesto….I love you!!!! I love prawns and haven’t eaten them since being back on the seafood wagon, wtf?! I must go get some!!!!

xxoo

Nora @ Natural Noshing

I need to make some pesto! All those ideas, especially this one with shrimp and zucchini pasta sounds SO good! I am digging the simplicity of it too :) Love your photos Leanne!

Kathy

Ooh that looks amazing!! I seriously wish I have some pesto right now!

Cara

I love zucchini “pasta”! Sounds like the perfect vehicle to your thai style pesto :)

Carole- FlowerTowne

Making this for the fam-jam tonight! I just love your blog. Keep those recipes coming!

Hope you all enjoyed it :)

terry

I used kale to make homemade pesto, then put it in my crepe batter. Sprinkle with grated parmesan, romano, or some other sharp cheese. It tasted downright gourmet.