Have you ever looked in your freezer and realized that you’ve created quite the collection of random meat, gluten-free flours, frozen fruit, and nuts/seeds?
That’s the story of my life right now. Everywhere I turn there are unopened bags of products that I’d purchased months before with the intention of using, or under the assumption that we were out, only to get home and realize we have 3 of the same thing.
I call that a grocery list fail.
In an attempt to clear a little space for the Thanksgiving turkey; Canadian thanksgiving is next weekend, I’ve been trying to come up with recipes using the stuff we have instead of going grocery shopping. Right now our house is filled with:
- Dried cranberries
- Dried currants
- Ground turkey
- Ground chicken
- Blackstrap molasses
- Palm sugar (galore!)
- Date syrup
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Vegetable and chicken bouillon
- Rice flour
I could go on, but it would result in a ridiculously long list. Needless to say, we’ve got everything. As a result of this exercise, our weekly grocery bill has slashed in half!
It’s rare that you’ll find ground turkey in our house. Bison, elk, chicken, yes, but turkey? Not so much.
I guess I was going through a turkey phase when I picked up 15lbs of it at the butcher. Do you have any favorite ground turkey recipes?
So far, I’ve made 3 batches of Lean and Clean Turkey Burgers…
And 2 batches of these meatballs. They’re sweet, make for a great protein snack, and mix well with a fresh green salad!
Cranberry Turkey Meatballs
Gluten free, Dairy free, Sugar free, Yeast free, Corn free
These cranberry turkey meatballs are full of flavor and remind me of Thanksgiving dinner, all rolled up in a little ball!
Yield: 8 meatballs
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup egg whites
- 1/2 cup quinoa flakes or gluten-free breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup canola mayonnaise or homemade bean mayo or 0% Greek yogurt *see note
- 1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup fresh herbs: I used basil and thyme
- 1 tsp herbamare or Himalayan rock salt
- Dash pepper
- Preheat oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon baking sheet.
- Place all ingredients in a large bowl and mix with your hands until combined.
- Shape into 8 meatballs and place on prepared pan about 1-inch apart.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until internal temp is 165F.
- Remove from the oven and serve!
note: if Greek yogurt is used, recipe is no longer dairy-free
calories: 128 | fat: 6.2g | saturated fat: 1.2g | carbohydrate: 4.8g | fiber: 0.6g | sugars: 0.6g | protein: 12.7g
I woke up pretty early this morning with plans to run to the gym for my spin class at 8:30am but I’m falling massively behind. Gotta run (pun intended) if I hope to get my favorite bike!
Have a fabulous Sunday, all