Millet and Amaranth Porridge

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on September 2, 2011

Since getting back from the ashram late Tuesday night, all I’ve wanted to eat is millet.

Millet, millet and more millet!

You see, each morning after our yoga asana classes, we would head to the Mandala House for a bowl of hot millet porridge and fresh fruit from the garden. The toppings were vast, the millet was warm, and the setting was unreal.

I looked out on to the lake with each meal I enjoyed there.

*swoon*

Although my homemade bowl of millet doesn’t come with a view of the lake, it’s just what the doctor ordered. Again, and again, and again. Mmmm love this stuff!

Millet and Amaranth Porridge

Vegan, Gluten free, Dairy free, Refined sugar free, Yeast free, Corn free

Kick-start your pre-fall mornings with this warming cereal. We’ve been enjoying this recipe for years, but I’d forgotten all about it! We love making a couple batches on the weekend, freezing, and enjoying all week long. You can add chia + milk for added fiber, sprinkle on some crushed flax, or enjoy plain.

Lightly adapted from Vive le Vegan!

Yield: 4 entree sized servings

• 2 1/2 cups water
  • 3/4 cup millet
  • 1/4 cup amaranth
  • 1 tbsp blackstrap molasses *see note
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • pinch of cardamom
  • pinch of allspice
  • pinch of ground nutmeg

Mix-ins

• 1 cup non-dairy milk – I used unsweetened original almond milk
  • 2 tbsp coconut sugar
  • 1/4 cup currants
  • 1/4 cup unsulfured apricots, chopped
  • 1/4 cup shelled hemp seeds

1. Place millet in a medium sized saucepan. Fill with about a cup of warm water and swish around with your hands to rinse. Drain, and repeat once more.
  2. Combine rinsed millet with measured water, amaranth, molasses, spices and vanilla extract. Heat on the stove on medium-high heat, cover and bring to a boil. Reduce to low, keep covered, and cook for 16-18 minutes.
  3. Remove the lid and stir in milk, palm sugar, dried fruit, and hemp seeds. Cover and cook on low heat for 5 minutes, or until milk is mostly absorbed.
  4. Remove from heat and enjoy!

note: if you’re wanting to make this sugar free, remove the sugars (maple syrup, blackstrap, and palm sugar) and replace with a touch of stevia, or don’t sweeten at all. The millet and raisins do a pretty good job of sweetening on their own.

What food have you not had for a long time that you’d like to try again?

The porridge looks so hearty and nourishing! Yum!

The pic of the lake…STUNNING!!!!

Holly @ The Runny Egg

The view of the lake is absolutely gorgeous — what a beautiful setting!

I am looking forward to the cooler months because I love hot stews and soups — they just aren’t the same in the summertime!

Faith @ For the Health of It

I haven’t had chocolate in a while. Maybe a day and a half? I forget what it tastes like – maybe I should try some again just to see if I still like it ;)

Kristin @ eat healthy. be happy. live well.

I hadn’t had my homemade granola bars in awhile and I just made them earlier this week. They taste better than I remembered :)

Your breakfast view was awesome! Great memories to think of at breakfast every day!

Aine @ Something to Chew Over

I love millet porridge but I haven’t made it in ages! I love that you use molasses – I have a huge jar of it and I’m also looking for inspiriation to use it up :)

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles

Ohh yum! I’ve been meaning to try millet! This looks like a great application. The lake wouldn’t hurt either :)

Ugh, tell me about it. The closest thing we have to a lake near our house is an overflowing storm drain :(

I would love to try millet and amaranth. I’ve looked for them at all the stores in my area and unfortunately, none of them carry either. I suppose I’ll just have to get them online! Foods that I haven’t ate in a while are different dishes that either of my parents have made. They used to cook daily when I was younger, so I would love to have a homemade meal from either of them :)

I hope you can find millet + amaranth! They’re so tasty :)

Steph

Mmm that porridge looks so good, can’t wait to buy some millet and try it out!! On an unrelated note, can you recommend a good gluten free pasta? I seem to have developed a sensitivity to gluten and have heard awful things about gluten free pastas. I was hoping you might know of a brand they might sell in the Calgary area that would taste similar to regular pasta!

I love rizopia pasta (http://www.rizopia.com/), you can get it at any superstore that has a natural foods isle. The thing about gluten-free pasta is that you just need to know how to cook it. Don’t let it sit too long as it goes from al dente to mush in a matter of seconds. Good luck :)

Meg (A Dash of Meg)

Hey Leanne :)
Thanks for sharing this recipe! I bought millet at the beginning of summer because I wanted to create a shepherds by topped with millet, but never got around to it :( This porridge looks like a great way to test out my millet though! Thank you :)

Teniesha @ Vegan on the Go-Go

I’m also a fiend for millet! It’s taste is so unique, plus the second cheapest bulk grain at my Co-op, only $1.09 per pound! Only steel cut oats are cheaper, at $0.79 per pound.

Kristina @ spabettie

I love amaranth and millet – I discovered them at the same time, so this recipe is perfect – I always have them both in my pantry!

I recently started using amaranth again, in bowls and as flour.

your ashram breakfasts sound perfect…

Kristi Rimkus

How lucky you were to have such a wonderful experience. I’ve never tried millet. It sounds like a nice change from oats.

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen)

I just got a bag of millet and now I really can’t wait to try it out! I’m that way with oatmeal. I love playing with the flavors. I’m excited about millet!

Junia @ Mis Pensamientos

this looks sooo good! i love whole grains made into porridge :) i need to pick up some amaranth!

Marisa

Just found your blog and love it! I can’t wait to look through all of the recipes you have. They all look so delicious! I’ve been looking for some more breakfast ideas for work too so will have to try this one.

Andre

I’m here at the Ashram and I just found your blog, love the healthy food ideas. The photos are beautiful as well. I was in the mens retreat. I’m going to try to pass on some of your snack ideas to the kitchen here. Thank you :)

Hi Andre, I remember you speaking to the group at Satsang on our last night. It’s fantastic that you found my blog! How long are you there doing karma yoga? I can’t wait to return!

Jenny King

Cannot get hemp seeds in Oz – what can I replace that with?

Hi Jenny – any other seed would be fine – pumpkin, sunflower, even nuts would be great!