Lean and Clean Turkey Burgers

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on September 7, 2011

Although the scent of chai has filled our house with the transition to fall, and the homemade chai lattes are flowing freely in the kitchen, I’m not ready to say good-bye to summer.

I can accept that the Canadian in me will be enjoying burgers on the grill throughout the depths of winter… so long as Kevin’s the one workin’ the grill!

So I guess what I’m trying to say to you is: expect more barbecue recipes from me. I may just throw one in in January and see who’s up for the task ;)

[print_this]

Lean and Clean Turkey Burgers

Gluten free, Dairy free, Sugar free, Yeast free, Corn free

These burgers are high in protein, low in fat, and lick-your-lips delicious! Trading in an egg for egg whites and bread crumbs for quinoa flakes cleans up this lean approach to your everyday burger.

Lightly adapted from The Eat-Clean Diet Cookbook

Yield: 5 burger patties

• 1 lb organic lean ground turkey
  • 1/2 cup red onion, chopped
  • 1 tbsp egg white, lightly beaten
  • 1/2 cup quinoa flakes
  • 2 tbsp fresh parsley
  • 2 tbsp fresh oregano
  • 2 tbsp fresh basil
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 3/4 tsp herbamare
  • 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper

1. In a large bowl, lightly beat egg white.
  2. Add all ingredients except the turkey and mix well with your hands, or a spoon until the quinoa flakes are coated.
  3. Add turkey and mash with your hands until combined. Form into 5-6 patties and throw them on the outdoor grill, indoor grill, or in the oven at 350F for 45 minutes. If you have a meat thermometer, you want to reach an internal temperature of 165F.

Serve with spinach, pickles and homemade barbecue sauce,  all wrapped in a rice tortilla with creamy vegan coleslaw with bean mayo.

[/print_this]

Of course a burger just wouldn’t be complete without homemade fries. For this batch I decided to add some Ms. Dash lemon pepper seasoning. So delicious.

I also doubled the potatoes so I could bring the leftovers with me for lunch today.

Best choice ever!

What did you pack for lunch today?

I’m not ready to say good-bye to summer either! And it was sooo hot in San Diego today. Not complaining!

I could use an iced chai latte, for sure :)

Ugh-I’m ready to say goodbye to summer. Although it is usually the best time of year in most places, summer is the worst time of year in Florida. Always hot and humid. It’s been 90-100 degrees with 100% humidity everyday since April. I’m ready for fall and winter to bring on the nicer 70* weather!!! And I adore fall flavors, so that’s a bonus.

Aine @ Something to Chew Over

I LOVE turkey burgers, they’re always so tasty. These look yummy Leanne :)

Autumn is my favourite season – I love getting all cosy!

Holly @ The Runny Egg

Burgers sound great to me year round — a broiler pan works in the dead of winter :)

What did I pack for lunch — a PBJ sandwich and a spinach/bell pepper/carrot/bacon salad

Lisa ♥ Healthful Sense

Definitely grill year-round here in CA!! The turkey burgers look amazing! I love making wraps out of rice tortillas — plus with the homemade fries and coleslaw = perfect meal =)

Katy @ notjustacarnivore

These look delicious! I’m going to have a hard time saying goodbye to the grill…

Kristina @ spabettie

Jason would grill IN THE SNOW if he could!! Our hope is to have a covered area of deck someday, so he can do just that! I would love to grill year round. :)

photos are stunning, as usual!

Covered deck? How luxurious! We have no such thing! My poor dad with his HUGE boots, mitts and jacket braving the snow so I could have a thick steak in February. Good memories :) Oh oh guess what? I found the booklet to the laphroaig!! Kevin’s going to be so happy when he gets home.

Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie)

I have never made a turkey burger before! It looks fabulous, how yummy :D

thehealthyapron

Looks like a great combination of flavors going on here!! Excellent recipe :)

Charissa

I love, love, love how you made these with turkey! I think it tastes waaaay better than beef too!

This looks like a Tosca Reno meal…mmmm.

Kirsten

Well it’s spring down here in the southern hemisphere, so we’ll definitely be making burgers in January. Top marks for catering to your fans on the other side of the world! X x

jill conyers

I had a turkey burger minus the bun with green leaf lettuce and tomato slices. I love my recipe but yours looks just different enough that I may have to try it. TFS!

Blog: Life As I See It [Fitness, Health and Happiness]

FB: Life As I See It [Fitness, Health and Happiness]

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen)

Oh I love the addition of quinoa flakes! Nice job on this one! They look and sound perfect. I’m with you…I’m not giving up the burgers for winter time! I love them too much!

Clarkie @ Beloved Green

I hear ya, in Wisconsin we grill all year long. It’s why we are so good at football tailgating in the middle of January. Keep’em coming!

Oh my gosh, that’s awesome. Note to self: must visit Wisconsin. I think I’d fit right in!

jess☆ @ Multicultural Melbourne

Ohhh yes please, more BBQ recipes!!! In Australia, we’re finally getting closer to BBQ weather! And I haven’t ever really been a fan of turkey, but I’m looking forward to giving it a try after seeing these photos!

Mel

Yummy!! As usual this recipe looks amazing! Where do you get your organic turkey in Calgary? I am finding it hard to stay within a budget in the area of organic and free range meats and poultry! Thanks!!

Thanks Mel! Checkout Horizon meat in the NE. They have free-range meats there and many of the farmers cannot pay the ridiculous price to become organic certified, but they are “organic”. Means the meat is cheaper in the end!

PolaM

Hurray for turkey burgers! Just the perfect way of having a burger without feeling too guilty!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts

I love turkey burgers! These sound full of all sorts of yummy flavors! I am up for grilling in Jan, bring it on!

Irena
Hayley @ Oat Couture

These look and sound delicious and I love your photography!! :)

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner

Do you know of anything I could use in place of quinoa flakes? Or do you know where I could find them in my local grocery store? We have very large gluten-free section in addition to a nice bulk area. Would it be around there?