Have you introduced any new foods into your life recently?
Maybe you’ve given fennel a try?
What about coconut flour?
Or, maybe you gave kale a run for it’s
money green(y)? [haha worst joke ever. I swear I’m actually funny in real life]
While I was studying to become a Holistic Nutritionist, I took it upon myself to buy something new at the supermarket each week and try to cook with it.
I can honestly say it’s been awhile since I’ve tried a new ingredient, so when I saw this salad recipe made from blended papaya seeds, I knew I had to give it a try.
Did you know that papaya (seeds and all) contain papain, an enzyme that helps digest proteins? It’s generally used in digestive enzymes along with bromelain, a similar enzyme found in pineapple.
But what I didn’t know was that you could eat the seeds, and that these little black gelatinous balls have some pretty amazing health benefits to boot!
- Papaya seed extract may protect the kidneys from toxin-induced kidney failure.
- The have some powerful antibacterial properties that may be effective against staph, e. coli, and salmonella infections.
- May effectively eradicate intestinal parasites. I bet you could take these while on a candida diet, then donate the fresh papaya to a friend.
- In Chinese medicine, it is believed that a teaspoon of papaya seeds will help detoxify the liver.
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cups filtered water
- ½ papaya, peeled, seeded and diced [reserve the seeds]
- 2 kiwis, peeled and diced
- ¼ cup raw pecans, chopped
- 1 tablespoon raw pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Place quinoa and water in small saucepan and bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until all water is absorbed, about 10-15 minutes. Remove from heat and keep covered while you work away at the rest of your salad. You can cook quinoa ahead of time if you’d rather use it cold.
- While quinoa is cooking, prepare and mix all the ingredients of the salad in a large mixing bowl.
- In a food processor or blender, purée all the dressing ingredients until smooth.
- Combine salad fixings with quinoa and pour dressing over top. Stir to combine.
- You can serve immediately or allow to chill in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours. Store the leftovers in an airtight container. Will keep in the fridge for 3 days
View Nutritional Information (once on page scroll down)
In conclusion, this salad practically heals you for all that ails you.