Mary, Mary, quite contrary, how does your garden grow?

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on July 9, 2011

Holy dirt.

It’s 6pm on a Saturday and I’m absolutely pooped.

But hey, look at the progress we’ve made in just over 24 hours!

Friday

My goal on Friday was to get most of our front garden sorted out.

What I quickly learned is that gardening isn’t exactly thrilling. That is until you blare some DeadMau5, The Prodigy, and a bit of AWOLNATION on your iPod.

I may or may not have been spotted dancing on my driveway.

No shame, no shame.

Purple = salvia | Behind bench = dwarf arctic blue willow | Beside bench = Variegated feather reed grass | Right corner = Ohlendorffi Spruce| In front of bench = Peachleaf Bellflower

Saturday

We started the day off with a hearty breakfast. I made Kevin an egg + bacon breakfast sandwich and I had a huge bowl of steel cut oats.

I loved the flavor of last weeks Peaches n’ cream Overnight Oats that I just had to make a porridge version.

[print_this]

Peaches n Protein Porridge

Bring to a boil:

• 1/2 cup steel cut oats
  • 1 1/2 cup reverse osmosis water

Blend:

• 1/2 banana
  • 1 peach
  • 1 organic egg
  • 1/4 cup organic soy milk
  • 1 tbsp chia seed
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp extra virgin coconut oil

Once oats are boiling, add in banana mixture. Cover and cook on low for 15 minutes. Whisk every 2-3 minutes. Serve with 1 tbsp unpasteurized honey.

[/print_this]

Once breakfast was done and the dogs were walked, we started digging the hole for our tree while we waited for our neighbors to help us with the sod.

Kevin looked oddly happy for being up at 6am digging tree holes.

I think it was the breakfast. Just sayin’ ;)

Shortly after the tree was in it’s spot and our neighbors were ready for the action, we started laying sod for our 2 houses.

After pushing at least 20 of these back and forth [they must have weighed over 80lbs], laying over 3500 sq. ft of sod;

and stopping for a nibble,

our houses were finally starting to come together!

Our bellies were screaming for food about 5 hours in, so we stopped for lunch.

Thankfully, I’d froze a batch of Garden Patch Burgers last weekend for this very occasion, so they were ready to be eaten with little preparation.

I whipped up a batch of fries to increase our lunch carbohydrates to make sure we didn’t crash and burn in the afternoon.

Kevin had his burger on white [AH! But you have to have a treat sometimes] buns and I had mine with a rice tortilla. He got more burger, I got more fries.

Sounds fair to me ;)

[print_this]

Garden Patch Burgers and Fresh Oven Fries

You can use any type of meat you like for these burgers [for this batch I used extra lean beef + a couple handfuls of mashed chickpeas]. Check out the original recipe here.

Fries:

1. Preheat oven to 425F
  2. Slice 3 potatoes [with the skins on] and place on a baking sheet. Cover with 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil and 1/2 tsp Herbamare or other salt.
  3. Cook for 30 minutes, rotating once.

[/print_this]

The plan tomorrow includes:

… and napping.

I will definitely be writing a post on how I planned the garden, the resources I used, and what I’ve learned, just not tonight.

Bath, salad, bed.

*drool*

Night!

Yolanda

WOW, that is a ton of stuff done in 24 hours. Good night!

Alaina Rose @ Sweetness Of Life

Awesome Leanne! It looks like you’re made wonderful progress so far :-) Keep up the good work. It’s going to be so rewarding!

Alaina Rose @ Sweetness Of Life

*you’ve*

chickster

Yowza you have a hot tub!!! Just soak in that bad boy for a few hours and you’ll be all ready for day 2. Can’t wait for the next post; I have no clue how to go from dirt to a garden, congrats!

Kaitlyn@TheTieDyeFiles

I can’t wait to hear about your garden planning! I’m working on a little urban garden on my porch :)

Kat @ Cupcake Kat

Your yard looks gorgeous!

Holly @ The Runny Egg

Wow you got a lot done so far!

And his bacon/egg sandwich in the background looks incredible!

Wow, great progress on the yard!

And the peaches and cream action looks great.

And so does the corner of the hot tub corner that I spy! I used to own a hot tub w/ a cover just like that :)

Aine @ Something to Chew Over

Very productive, great job! :)

Kristin @ eat healthy. be happy. live well.

Sounds like a great day!! I made burgers and fries as well yesterday :) I love oven baked fries with lots of fresh cracked pepper and sea salt on them.

Brittany

Your hard work is paying off, the yard looks great!!

Kate

Hey,

Just a quick question, why did you use RO water to make your porridge?

Thanks,

Kate

We only have RO water at home, so that’s what I used. You can use any type you have on hand, I just find I can taste the water when I cook with it!

Kate

I’m sure you’re aware of this but you know RO water can be dangerous to consume as it removes ion from the water which are vital for ion transfer esp in the brain, it’s also not cheap. Why do you have it?

Great question, Kate. We drink RO water at home, and just plain filtered water at work. We also like to drive up to our local spring and grab fresh spring water from time to time (we had Himalayan rock salt to boost mineral content as well). RO water is not the only water we have on a daily basis. In the winter though, when the spring water isn’t available, I add minerals back to our RO water.

Faith @ lovelyascharged

Ahh yay for AWOLNation! I almost went and saw them live with Paper Tongues but ended up missing the tickets – sad day! It’s amazing how productive you can be when there’s a good soundtrack, it definitely makes boring chores a lot more fun!

Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons

bahahaha well i’m in suspense =) i’m a goober and love hearing about other peoples garden planning! esp since I have a garden and landscaping to plan after our house is sodded!

I thought i was the only person who made chickpea and beef burgers! paul whines. he says “noooo healthies in my moo!” and tells me i’m crazy. but you don’t think im nuts, right? haha <3

FYI I made this peaches and protein porridge for breakfast this morning…. YUM!!! I love it SO much!! Thanks for the recipe :)

I’m glad you liked it! I’m planning to have the same thing tomorrow morning!