Climbing Grub (ahh Pizza Pockets!!)

by Leanne Vogel (Healthful Pursuit) on July 31, 2011

Today will be remembered as the day I made my first gluten-free pizza pop climbed my first mountain. Booyah!

[source]

The mountain we’re climbing is in Kananaskis. We booked the trip to celebrate my 25th birthday [that happened over 2 months ago]. It’s been a long time coming, but the day is finally upon us.

Honestly though, I have no idea why I chose this activity to ring in my 25th. Maybe to prove to myself that I can accomplish anything I put my mind to?

Have I mentioned that I’m afraid of heights?

It should also be said that I have a history of breaking limbs in the mountains. Case in point, 1.5 years ago when I was snowboarding on vacation…

After this experience, I’m probably one of the only Canadians that is afraid of the mountains, snow, and anything to do with strapping myself to a piece of fiberglass and going headfirst down a mountain.

I’ll stick to water skiing, thank you very much :P

I keep asking Kevin to promise me that I wont break anything, but he just giggles and smiles.

It’ll be fine, I’m sure of it. And if not, at least I’ll have a big healthy lunch with me!

The meal plan

Climbing starts at 9am and runs until 4pm, so here’s what I have planned:

Gah, just look at the inside of those babies!

[print_this]

Carob Cluster Chia Pudding

Vegan, Gluten free, Dairy free, Refined sugar free, Corn free

• 1 cup unsweetened original almond milk
  • 2 tbsp chia seed
  • 1 tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut
  • 1 tbsp unsweetened carob chips
  • 1 tbsp dried currants
  • 1/2 tbsp pecans, crushed
  • 1/2 tbsp unpasteurized honey
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon

Mix together in an old jar and allow to soak for at least an hour, or overnight.

[/print_this]

[print_this]

Homemade Pizza Pops

Vegan [option], Gluten free, Dairy free, Refined sugar free, Corn free

I went gaga over pizza pops as a kid. I only wish it was over the gluten-free, healthy version. These will most definitely become a favorite at our house.

Yield: 4 gigantic pizza pops

• 1 batch of gluten-free pizza dough *see note
  • 1/2 cup brown rice flour
  • 1 cup marinara sauce *see note
  • 1 cup pre-cooked meat – I used a mixture of swiss salami and ground bison
  • 1 cup fresh spinach, chopped
  • 1/2 yellow onion, sliced
  • 6 mushrooms, sliced
  • 1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes, chopped
  • 4 basil leaves, chopped

1. Prepare pizza dough per steps 1-5 on recipe. Preheat oven to 425F, not 400F.
  2. Once your dough is in the bowl, cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise for 20 minutes.
  3. Meanwhile, combine all remaining ingredients except rice flour in a large bowl. Stir to mix and set aside.
  4. Flour your workstation with a bit of the brown rice flour and grab a quarter of the raised dough. Knead for a moment or two in the flour so that the dough doesn’t stick to the counter, or your hands.
  5. Work the dough into a circle, about 8 inches wide so that the dough is 1/4 inch thick. Spoon about 1/2 cup of the veggie mixture onto one half of the circle, leaving room at the ends to seal shut. If there is remaining space, fill before folding over the dough and pressing the corners down with the end of a fork.
  6. Place pizza pop on prepared baking sheet and repeat steps 4 and 5 with remaining dough.
  7. Cook pizza pops in the oven for 25 minutes, or until golden at the tops.
  8. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before digging in!

note: use the crust portion of the recipe only.

note: marinara sauce, pizza sauce, or pasta sauce will work just fine. Whatever you have handy!

note: To make vegan, sub out meat with extra veggies, beans, or lentils. The pizza dough crust can also be made vegan with a flax egg.

[/print_this]

Okay, enough recipe sharing… I have to figure out what I’m going to wear. hehe

Have a fantastic Sunday :)

Have fun and good luck with the climb!

I cant believe you have those pics and that you had such an injury…yikes…just looking at them makes me wince for you. Ouch!!!!! So sorry that happened. BE SAFE on your hike!

And if Kevin likes Clif bars, try the blueberry one. It’s my favorite non-chocolate or non-peanut butter based bar on the market. Period. Sounds meh…but it’s really a great bar if you like blueberries.

Kristin @ eat healthy. be happy. live well.

Have fun! Hiking is one of my favorite things to do. Although we don’t have the big mountains like you probably do!

By the way, the link to the gluten-free pizza dough takes you to the chicken marinara melt!

Thank you!

Aine @ Something to Chew Over

Yum yum yum! These look gorgeous, will have to try them.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend :)

AHHHH! Good luck! Have fun! I’m sure those delicious pizza pockets will give you loads of energy!

Stephanie

How exciting! Let us know how it goes! (And don’t worry…I’m also a ski-phobic Canadian. I actually don’t like doing anything that it involves too much speed.)

Thank goodness there is someone out there like me! You’ve made my day, Stephanie!

Holly @ The Runny Egg

Those pizza pops look delicious! Have a great time!

Sam

Have fun! You guys will be eating quite nicely while there. I need to make a homemade pizza pop! That is too cool.

Terra

I woke up hungry, now starving after reading this lovely post! Love the carob cluster chia pudding, I am a huge fan of almond milk, this sounds sooooo good:-) The pizza pops are such a great on-the-go idea, great for when I travel:-)
Take care, Terra

(what runs) Lori

Oh man… or woman… this look so good! Professional. And hard. Even though I know it’s not hard, not as hard as say a great hike, it still seems like if I attempted that it’d look err.. not so well put together. hah

Love the chia pudding recipe, too!

So, case in point, this is why I don’t do hard-crashing sports anymore! They hurt when you fall!

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen)

Have fun Leanne! I love hiking! I can’t wait for it to get cooler out so we can go hiking again. The food looks amazing! Love the pudding and the pizza pockets.

Kristina @ spabettie

I want to make these pizza pops today. Have a great hike, be careful!! :)

Stephchows

happy belated 25th! That hike sounds amazing and the food sounds perfect! Wish i had you as a hiking buddy :)

Tasty Yummies

Have fun and be safe – happy late birthday!

Those pizza pops look incredible. My mom always made calzones for us as a kid and I have been wanting to recreate them gluten-free somehow but have been afraid to destroy perfectly good pizza dough in the process. Your post has made me want to try it! YUM!

Robyn

I think this may be a dumb question, but does the ground meat have to be cooked prior to adding it to the filling mixture, or does it cook sufficiently in the oven when you bake it? I am going hiking in a couple of weeks and am really tempted to make these!

it should be cooked meat only. Sorry, I forgot to mention that! Will add it now :)

Heidi @ Food Doodles

Aw, I hope you have a great time today! What a gorgeous place to go hiking :D
Those pizza pops look awesome! I was just thinking I should make something similar. I think my hubby will go crazy for them too :D Your gluten free crust looks amazing.

Ragnhild

Good luck :D Im sure you will do fine! And like you said: no matter what, you have an amazing lunch with you! Seriously- everything looks so so good!

Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons

another reason why I need to try bison. so I can make this recipe of course =)

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes and Desserts

Good luck!! Love climbing mountains!

Adora's Box

Do take care. There’s no harm in sitting this one out and just eating all the grub in one corner, is there?

haha I ended up doing that in the afternoon!

Steph@stephsbitebybite

I wish I was brave enough to climb mountains! I’d rather stay at home though and scarf up these pizzas!!

claire

Yeah, I probably would wimp out and get maybe 5 feet up, haha! But these pizza pops look so yummy!

haha I think my highest was 12 feet and I’m totally okay with that :)

Cassie @ Bake Your Day

I think I might have just changed our dinner plans tonight, these sound so appetizing! I love the addition of sun-dried tomatoes, we are big fans of those on our pizza. Great idea for a hiking snack, very portable!

Kim Bee

I love the Kananaskis area. We drove through a few years ago. We visited my sis in B.C. then went to Alberta to hit Spruce Meadows and Jasper. We’re in Ontario and I wish we had mountains. It’s so ugly here. I mean ugly as sin. Those pizzas are so wonderful. I may have to try that.

Stefanie @TheNewHealthy

When I first say the words ‘pizza pop,’ I had this image of a hung of pizza on a popsicle stick! haha! My oh my, do those pops looks yummy!!!

bahaha that’d be cool too!

Baking Serendipity

I’m not a big skiier either, but would definitely go for some of those pizza pops! I love the idea :) And congrats on climbing the mountain! What a great way to celebrate another year :)

Adelina

Happy 25th Birthday! You seem to be on the right track. I love the pops!

Kita

I’ve never heard them called pizza pops before – but I am gaga over them now! I love anything pizza esc!

RavieNomNoms

Wow! Best of luck with the climb…good for you!

The pizza pops look great! I love those larabars in your picture too, I eat those all the time when I am biking!

Claire

Just noshing on this carob cluster chia pudding for breakfast this morning, and it’s delicious! Great for refueling after a run. Thanks for the recipe!

natch

Leanne, do you have the nutrition info for these Pizza Pops? Just wondering because you usually include the nutritional breakdown for your recipes and I have to watch my calories……these look so good that I want ot be able to enjoy them within my calorie allottment….

Hi there, this is an older recipe so I did not calculate it. I use the about.com recipe app. LiveStrong MyPlate also has a great calculator. Feel free to submit the ingredients to help you determine what portion size would be best for you. Enjoy!

Astaire

I just made mini dairy-free pizza pockets for my kiddos yesterday. I like your half-circle version and also the gluten-free crust option-sharing on my blog!

Awesome! I’m so happy that you liked them, Astaire. I’d love to see the post when it goes live :)